Display Twitter/Facebook Rss Feed Minecraft Online Player Stats RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there. I am trying to make an app for a Minecraft server I use a lot. I'm making it so I can learn more about coding and to help out the community at the same time. First I'll explain what I'm trying to accomplish then my skills.

What I'm trying to do is have an RSS feed of the servers Twitter & Facebook Channel on one page another page for Mojangs & the creator of the games Twitter feeds. Then on a separate page have on online player list, hopefully with the players avatars not just text. The site already has all this using php and I'm assuming mySQL. They use the enjin site for this. Also on that page I want to display a Minecraft main servers status which I also think uses php/mysql they have about 4 or 5 status messages for 4 or 5 different server. Player skin server, account server etc...

What would be the best way to make this? Do you know of any open source apps that do something similar? What code would be the best to write it in?

My skills are pretty basic, I know Html/css but I have edited open source php and C++ code in the past. Just changing a few values or including a code snippet.

Once I have the basics done and I know I can finish the app I will let the owner of the server know what I am doing just in case I need him to host any files on his server.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 8:55 AM

All replies

• Is your question how to set up an RSS feed on the server or how to consume an RSS feed from a Windows Store app?

For the former you'll need to ask in a forum for whichever toolset the server is written in.

For the latter see Walkthrough: Create a blog reader (JavaScript and HTML) and the Windows.Web.Syndication classes.

--Rob

Thursday, April 10, 2014 12:34 AM
  • Thanks I got ahead of myself a bit. lol I plan to run it in the app. I've been looking it up and noticed I need to get the Twitter Api. So it shouldn't be too hard. I could use some help figuring the best way to display the gaming servers status if anyone knows? Its a Minecraft server and it has a red dot image displayer for when its down and green for when its up. I'm assuming I can just do some sort of ping command from the program to do this and wouldn't need access to anything on their end. Any ideas?

The current app template I'm using is C# > Windows store > Grid App

Friday, April 11, 2014 3:04 PM