none
Unclassified driver signature in HCK RRS feed

Answers

• It is true, that WLK 1.x allowed for an unclassified category as selected by the user. With the HCK, "category" is auto-detected. This is known as the "Product Type" on the project summary view of HCK Studio. If there is no product type detected, it will automatically be assigned to the "Other" (unclassified) category. If a product type is detected, then all tests must pass to receive the digital signature. You cannot change a product type that is auto-detected to unclassified.

Hope this clarifies.

John -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:40 PM
  • A source from MS told me that if a driver is classifiable by their standards, an unclassified submission won't be possible with the new HCK. And seeing that almost every driver is classified in one way or another, i can assume that the Unclassified Program is gone.

But until we'll get an official answer from MS, there is still hope. 

Friday, August 3, 2012 3:05 PM

All replies

• Windows Hardware Certification Kit (HCK) changes the way you test your systems, by focusing on the features that are enabled on the product instead of selecting from a list of categories. This validates all detected features of the product against the Windows HardwareCertification  Requirements.

Driver signatures and Windows Update distribution will still be available for Windows Vista. If you use Windows Logo Kit (WLK) 1.6, you can use the Unclassified category to obtain a driver signature. You do not have to run the full Windows Vista test suite for the original category. If you use Windows Hardware Certification Kit (HCK), your device must pass the device fundamentals tests, the bus/connectivity tests, and select feature tests in order to qualify for a driver signature only. Please also see http://microsoftnewsletter.blogspot.com/2012/04/windows-hardware-news-for-april-26-2012.html

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 12:21 PM
  • If you use Windows Hardware Certification Kit (HCK), your device must pass the device fundamentals tests, the bus/connectivity tests

Hello Doron, how can I select the device fundamentals tests, the bus/connectivity tests, and select feature tests in WinHCK?

Thank you

Friday, May 4, 2012 10:29 AM
  • Please consult the following document http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/hardware/hh833779. Further information can be found here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh852359.aspx
    Friday, May 4, 2012 11:18 AM
  • Hello Phil, I already find that document but I did not found what I need
    Friday, May 4, 2012 12:11 PM
  • Step 6 of the Windows Hardware Certification Step-by Step Guide (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/hardware/hh833779 ) states:  

The Tests tab displays all the tests required for certification for the target(s) you selected. By default, no test is selected to run. Testing a device can take up a lot time. You can sort the different tests by type, length of time and machine.

Friday, May 4, 2012 5:13 PM
  • I do not think that this is what Boris wanted. I have the same issue with our NDIS driver. Until now i have used the WLK 1.6 and the Unclassified signature program to certify the driver. But in the HCK from Win8 this option does not exist. The HCK forces me to test the driver for the Logo program, and i do not want that.

To be specific: in WLK 1.6 if you wanted to obtain the Logo for the NDIS driver you were required to additionally run the NDISTest next to the standard Unclassified tests. But we did not want that, and for all our drivers we ran only the Unclassified test, we got the WHQL signature and all was fine. Until HCK. This new framework automatically detects the features of the product, as you said, and automatically selects the test. BUT it selects the NDISTest 6.5 - LWF Logo test. Why?

Due to the lack of information on this topic from MS am i to assume that we are being forced to Logo test our drivers for Win 8? And that the Unclassified signature program is actually dead?

Our NDIS driver is based on the 6.0 specifications, and it works fine on Vista and Win7 (signed by MS after Unclassifed submission) and also works very well on Win8. I do not want to migrate the driver to the 6.3 specs only to pass a certain test included in NDISTest 6.5 and risk generating problems for Vista or 7. And to have a different driver for Win8 is not an option.

In conclusion, can anyone from MS step up and clearly tell us if the Unclassified program still exists, and if it does, how can we acces it in HCK? And if it does not exist anymore, please confirm that we have to pass now Logo tests in order to get our drivers signed.

Thanks

• Edited by Andrei.Dumitru Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Boris Knutov Thursday, August 2, 2012 1:09 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Boris Knutov Thursday, August 2, 2012 1:10 PM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 10:41 AM
  • It is a miniport driver.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 1:33 PM
  • Until the HCK they could. That's what i've been using so far in WLK 1.6.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:58 AM
  • I do not think that this is what Boris wanted. I have the same issue with our NDIS driver. Until now i have used the WLK 1.6 and the Unclassified signature program to certify the driver. But in the HCK from Win8 this option does not exist. The HCK forces me to test the driver for the Logo program, and i do not want that.

To be specific: in WLK 1.6 if you wanted to obtain the Logo for the NDIS driver you were required to additionally run the NDISTest next to the standard Unclassified tests. But we did not want that, and for all our drivers we ran only the Unclassified test, we got the WHQL signature and all was fine. Until HCK. This new framework automatically detects the features of the product, as you said, and automatically selects the test. BUT it selects the NDISTest 6.5 - LWF Logo test. Why?

Due to the lack of information on this topic from MS am i to assume that we are being forced to Logo test our drivers for Win 8? And that the Unclassified signature program is actually dead?

Our NDIS driver is based on the 6.0 specifications, and it works fine on Vista and Win7 (signed by MS after Unclassifed submission) and also works very well on Win8. I do not want to migrate the driver to the 6.3 specs only to pass a certain test included in NDISTest 6.5 and risk generating problems for Vista or 7. And to have a different driver for Win8 is not an option.

In conclusion, can anyone from MS step up and clearly tell us if the Unclassified program still exists, and if it does, how can we acces it in HCK? And if it does not exist anymore, please confirm that we have to pass now Logo tests in order to get our drivers signed.

Thanks

Also looking forward to an answer to your question...

Boris Knutov, Quality Assurance Engineer, Agnitum Ltd.

• Proposed as answer by MMAKIE Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:15 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by MMAKIE Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:15 PM
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 1:13 PM
  • I am also looking for an answer for performing an Signature Only (Unclassified) submission for our drivers.

The device fundamentals tests, the bus/connectivity tests, and the select feature tests are not clearly defined for me to select them.

Your (Microsoft) efforts to make HCK a more easier experience to create and send a submission clearly inhibited Signature Only development within the HCK.

Mike Makie, QA Technician, HID Global

Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:22 PM
  • A source from MS told me that if a driver is classifiable by their standards, an unclassified submission won't be possible with the new HCK. And seeing that almost every driver is classified in one way or another, i can assume that the Unclassified Program is gone.

But until we'll get an official answer from MS, there is still hope. 

Friday, August 3, 2012 3:05 PM
  • Did you read Windows Hardware Certification Step-by-Step Guide?
    You can find your driver in "Software devices" on Selection tab of HCK Studio.
    "Software devices" is to certify filter drivers, firewalls, and antivirus software that's installed on the test computer.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 12:37 AM
  • It is true, that WLK 1.x allowed for an unclassified category as selected by the user. With the HCK, "category" is auto-detected. This is known as the "Product Type" on the project summary view of HCK Studio. If there is no product type detected, it will automatically be assigned to the "Other" (unclassified) category. If a product type is detected, then all tests must pass to receive the digital signature. You cannot change a product type that is auto-detected to unclassified.

Hope this clarifies.

John -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:40 PM
  • Thanks for the confirmation, John.

On to the the Logo tests then :)

Friday, September 7, 2012 2:52 PM
  • I'm trying to figure this out as well.

We provide an USB NDIS Miniport driver to our OEM customers. With 1.6 we used WLK to load the inf file and then run the unclassified tests. The result was a signed driver we could make available through Windows Update.

In our case we do not manufacture hardware and effectively do not have any hardware to test.

Can we continue to do this or will each of our customers now be forced into doing hardware logo testing for their own hardware.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:16 AM
  • Where i can find  simillar type of submission in new HCK kit?

Could anyone find an answer to this question?
    Monday, August 12, 2013 7:34 AM
  • Bumping this as we are in the same boat as several other folks on the thread.  We have an audio driver for our hardware products that of course is auto-detected as "audio." We do not wish to Logo-certify our device.  We are just trying to make our driver available via Windows Update.  Is full certification our only hope?

Monday, December 30, 2013 2:51 PM