none
error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Linq' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Data'

Question

• After uninstalling, re-installing and uninstalling and re-installing and uninstalling and spending most of the day doing that, I resorted to using the maintainance (Repair) option of Visual Studio 2008 PROFESSIONAL, I have a limp along IDE. I created a couple of tables, and a stored procedure, created (using the solution explorer) a new item  LINQ to SQL class, dropping the tables and stored procedure on the O/R. I saved this file to commit the changes. Then I dropped a LinqDataSource and a GridView on the page (via designer). When I tried to choose a Data Context object for the LinqDataSource the only choice I have is WebApplication1._Default which does not have the tables. I have a reference to System.Data.Linq and Core. The Web.config contains these lines:

<assemblies>

<add assembly="System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

<add assembly="System.Data.DataSetExtensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

<add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

<add assembly="System.Xml.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

</assemblies>

And of course the project compiles just fine; however when I run the page I get the above error message.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this error?

TIA

Allen

Sunday, May 25, 2008 5:15 AM

Answers

• Check your project/application settings and ensure that the target framework is set to 3.5.

--Samir

Sunday, May 25, 2008 5:26 AM

All replies

• Check your project/application settings and ensure that the target framework is set to 3.5.

--Samir

Sunday, May 25, 2008 5:26 AM
  • I'm having the same issue and my target framework is set to 3.5
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:02 PM
  • Greetings,

I had a similar issue with "System.Data.Linq" when creating my objects within a directory.  The problem was resolved by moving my object to the root of the directory.  As weird as it sounds, that strategy solved it.
    • Proposed as answer by mustapha kone Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:04 PM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:03 PM
  • It's ok to have a reference to assembly

<add assembly="System.Xml.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

but you need to had the reference to Data.Linq

<add assembly="System.Data.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

Try it!
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 1:35 AM
  • Thanks. This solved the issue. Go to Project --> Property Pages --> Build --> select .net framework 3.5. This really solves the problem , as the project when pointing to framework 2.0 does not include a reference to LINQ and when 3.5 framework is selected then the LINQ reference comes automatically.

Friday, September 10, 2010 7:51 AM
  • Just a point about VS 2010 at least. I had a project where the project framework was 4 and the version 4 assemblies were being referenced but it still complained that System.Xml did not contain Linq. I solved this by changing the project framework to one that I did not want and then going back into the project properties and selecting framework 4 again. This time it reconfigured something to its satisfaction and the project started compiling.
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 2:04 PM
  • Just a point about VS 2010 at least. I had a project where the project framework was 4 and the version 4 assemblies were being referenced but it still complained that System.Xml did not contain Linq. I solved this by changing the project framework to one that I did not want and then going back into the project properties and selecting framework 4 again. This time it reconfigured something to its satisfaction and the project started compiling.

OMG...I've been going insane over the past 2 hours...thank goodness I saw this post.  you are awesome!
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:51 PM
  •  

Had similar issue.  Reference to .dll was there, using statement was there.  Type/namespace error wouldn't quit.  Setting the target Framework to 3.5, then immediately back to 4.0 worked for me as well.  Thanks for making no sense again Visual Studio 2010!

• Proposed as answer by Justin Weiler Tuesday, May 30, 2017 6:20 PM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:47 PM
    Thank you, I could've spent hours trying to work this out :-)
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 9:21 AM
  • same here...  as a lifelong MS developer since 16 bit days I had a three year break working on other tech.  I had forgotten about the "joys" of dealing with senseless MS issues dating back to 2008 until now... [sigh]

Thanks for the assist folks!

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 6:19 PM