AD users that connect to TFS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

If I delete users from AD its forcing us to reassign work items in TFS to other employees.

What is the best action for AD users that left the company and there AD users are also TFS users?

Thanks,

Eli.

Sunday, June 8, 2014 3:04 PM

Answers

• Morning Eli,

When you say that TFS is forcing you to reassign work items, do you mean that when you try to save any workitem that is linked to the deleted user, it won't let you save it?

If this is the case it is due to the Work Item Type only allowing 'Valid Users' within the assigned to field.  You can amend the field within the WIT to 'ALLOWEXISTINGVALUE'.  This will enable you to remove users from AD, without having to update all work items that the user had assigned to them.

I'd only recommend this if the tasks in question have been completed.  If they haven't, you should assign them to the person that is going to complete the work item.

Hope this helps,

Jon

• Proposed as answer by Jonathan D Hope Friday, June 13, 2014 10:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cece Dong Monday, June 16, 2014 9:21 AM
    Friday, June 13, 2014 10:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

What's the version of TFS are you using?

You might consider to not delete user accounts from AD, but to disable them, to see if this helps.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 9, 2014 6:16 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your replay.

I am using TFS 2010.

if the disable the users will do the job, its mean that in my AD i will have 20 disabled users at the end of the year and it will keep growing...

We sometimes recruiters employees only for 3-4 month for special projects, I don't want to have 150 disabled users in my AD 3 years from now...

is this the best sultion?

Thanks,

Eli.

Monday, June 9, 2014 6:55 AM
  • I'd recommend to reassign to another user everything assigned to a user you're about to delete. Just do bulk edit in Excel. Then, delete the users from AD. 
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 12:58 AM
  • Morning Eli,

When you say that TFS is forcing you to reassign work items, do you mean that when you try to save any workitem that is linked to the deleted user, it won't let you save it?

If this is the case it is due to the Work Item Type only allowing 'Valid Users' within the assigned to field.  You can amend the field within the WIT to 'ALLOWEXISTINGVALUE'.  This will enable you to remove users from AD, without having to update all work items that the user had assigned to them.

I'd only recommend this if the tasks in question have been completed.  If they haven't, you should assign them to the person that is going to complete the work item.

Hope this helps,

Jon

• Proposed as answer by Jonathan D Hope Friday, June 13, 2014 10:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cece Dong Monday, June 16, 2014 9:21 AM
    Friday, June 13, 2014 10:10 AM