installing SQL Server 2008 R2 Express on a PC that has MSDE installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - My PC has MSDE installed on it and I'd like to install Express to take advantage of some new functionality in Express.  The PC runs Windows XP Home Edition.  Here are my questions:

1. Is it possible to have both MSDE & Express on one PC without causing problems?

2. How do I move databases from MSDE over to Express?

3. How will my query editor (Toad) know which SQL Server version to point to?

4. When setting up ODBCs will the two different SQL Servers appear there?

I have a hunch that this is a fairly basic thing so if there are any useful threads or websites on this topic that anyone knows about, please do post the links.  Of course, any answers to the specific questions listed above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, knot

Friday, April 8, 2011 2:37 AM

Answers

• Hello Knot,

1) That's possible, you have to install Sql Server 2008R2 as a "named instance" and by default a Sql Server Express edition installs already as name instance "SQLEXPRESS".

2) In common you could backup the database in MSDE and restore it to new sql server or detach/attach the databases. In this case I am not sure because of the higher version difference, it's may possible you have to use a 2005/2008 in the migration path between.

3) Ask then vendor (Quest?) if your version of Toad works with Sql Server 2008 R2.

4) Yes, as under Point 1) it's a named instance; instead of server name "YourMachine" you will use "YourMachine\SQLEXPRESS".

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing
    • Marked as answer by Knot Saturday, April 9, 2011 12:30 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 6:44 AM

All replies

• Hello Knot,

1) That's possible, you have to install Sql Server 2008R2 as a "named instance" and by default a Sql Server Express edition installs already as name instance "SQLEXPRESS".

2) In common you could backup the database in MSDE and restore it to new sql server or detach/attach the databases. In this case I am not sure because of the higher version difference, it's may possible you have to use a 2005/2008 in the migration path between.

3) Ask then vendor (Quest?) if your version of Toad works with Sql Server 2008 R2.

4) Yes, as under Point 1) it's a named instance; instead of server name "YourMachine" you will use "YourMachine\SQLEXPRESS".

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing
    • Marked as answer by Knot Saturday, April 9, 2011 12:30 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 6:44 AM
  • Thank-you for the information.

Yes, Toad is an editor by Quest.

Saturday, April 9, 2011 12:36 AM