DTS - Login failed for user RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DTS package created and also have Global Variable on it..I'm trying to use the Global Variable created by DTS but I encountered some error.. 
    Error : "Login failed for user dbIDdestCon"
    Dim oGlobal As DTS.GlobalVariable

Dim dbIDdestCon as String

Set oGlobal = goPackage.GlobalVariables.New("db_DestID")
     oGlobal = "sa"
     dbIDdestCon = oGlobal
     goPackage.GlobalVariables.Add oGlobal
     Set oGlobal = Nothing

oConnection.Name = "Connection 1"
     oConnection.id = 1
     oConnection.Reusable = True
     oConnection.ConnectImmediate = False
     oConnection.DataSource = "*************"
     oConnection.UserID = "dbIDdestCon"
     oConnection.ConnectionTimeout = 60
     oConnection.Catalog = "**********"
     oConnection.UseTrustedConnection = False
     oConnection.UseDSL = False

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 7:46 AM

Answers

• Hi marcopolo01314,

>>"Login failed for user dbIDdestCon"

It seems that you are facing SQL Server error 18456. Since SQL Server doesn’t send error state to client(for security reasons) you should start gathering information on the computer that hosts SQL Server instance first. By default, login failed events will be logged in SQL Server error log and could also be found under Event Viewer\Windows Logs\Application. Once you found the error message and it’s error state, co-relate it with this blog so you can see what's going on here.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 29, 2016 8:23 AM

All replies

• It really could be because of a lot of things. You need to provide more info by checking out target SQL Server instance's Error Log or the Windows Application Event Log on that server. You'll find more info in those logs about this login failure problem.

http://ekremonsoy.blogspot.com | http://www.ekremonsoy.com | @EkremOnsoy

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 8:07 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi marcopolo01314,

>>"Login failed for user dbIDdestCon"

It seems that you are facing SQL Server error 18456. Since SQL Server doesn’t send error state to client(for security reasons) you should start gathering information on the computer that hosts SQL Server instance first. By default, login failed events will be logged in SQL Server error log and could also be found under Event Viewer\Windows Logs\Application. Once you found the error message and it’s error state, co-relate it with this blog so you can see what's going on here.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 29, 2016 8:23 AM