Migrating SSRS 2014 to 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• 'm currently migrating a 2014 SQL Server to 2019. Currently, we have a 2014 server name MY_SQL_SERVER and 2019 with server name MY_SQL_SERVER_NEW. Eventually, this 2019 server will be renamed MY_SQL_SERVER and the 2014 will be decommissioned.

I restored the 2 reporting DBs into the new server and configured SSRS. It is up and running.

Some questions:

• Best way to handle renaming the SQL Instance for SSRS?
    • How to migrate subscriptions? 
    • Anything I may have missed.
    • Do I just delete the old one below?

TIA

• Edited by ARPRINCE Friday, June 12, 2020 2:01 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2020 2:00 PM

Answers

• Hello TIA,

Thanks for posting questions here.

If I understand correctly, you have migrated SSRS 2014 to SSRS 2019 now, and the SSRS 2019 server is MY_SQL_SERVER_NEW, you want to rename it to MY_SQL_SERVER, right? I think you two may phase you should do:

1. Migrate SSRS 2014 to SSRS 2019 

You can follow this article: Migrating SQL Server Reporting Services 

2. Rename SSRS 2019 server name to MY_SQL_SERVER

You can follow to this article: Rename a Report Server Computer

For your questions, below is some suggestion:

SQL Server instance name cannot rename after creating. However you can change the server name. Then you can change the server name for SSRS in Reporting Service configuration Tool or please follow the linkage I post in phase 2.

In Reporting Services, subscriptions are reserved in report server databases. When we move report server database to a new server, the schedules will be recreated the first time that you restart the Report Server service, and SQL Server Agent jobs that are used to trigger a schedule will be recreated on the new database instance. For more information, please refer to this article: Moving the Report Server Databases to Another Computer (SSRS Native Mode)

I think above linkages is enough. In case of any failure, please do test in development environment firstly before implement this in produce environment.

This is scale-out deployment. Please refer to Scale-out Deployment (Native Mode Report Server) .If you will not using the old one in future, it will be ok for deleting it.

Hope it will help

Best Regards

Dawn

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 15, 2020 3:26 AM

All replies

• Hello TIA,

Thanks for posting questions here.

If I understand correctly, you have migrated SSRS 2014 to SSRS 2019 now, and the SSRS 2019 server is MY_SQL_SERVER_NEW, you want to rename it to MY_SQL_SERVER, right? I think you two may phase you should do:

1. Migrate SSRS 2014 to SSRS 2019 

You can follow this article: Migrating SQL Server Reporting Services 

2. Rename SSRS 2019 server name to MY_SQL_SERVER

You can follow to this article: Rename a Report Server Computer

For your questions, below is some suggestion:

SQL Server instance name cannot rename after creating. However you can change the server name. Then you can change the server name for SSRS in Reporting Service configuration Tool or please follow the linkage I post in phase 2.

In Reporting Services, subscriptions are reserved in report server databases. When we move report server database to a new server, the schedules will be recreated the first time that you restart the Report Server service, and SQL Server Agent jobs that are used to trigger a schedule will be recreated on the new database instance. For more information, please refer to this article: Moving the Report Server Databases to Another Computer (SSRS Native Mode)

I think above linkages is enough. In case of any failure, please do test in development environment firstly before implement this in produce environment.

This is scale-out deployment. Please refer to Scale-out Deployment (Native Mode Report Server) .If you will not using the old one in future, it will be ok for deleting it.

Hope it will help

Best Regards

Dawn

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 15, 2020 3:26 AM
  • Thanks for the links. Helped me with subscriptions as well.

I used below to rename my SQL Server with default instance.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/rename-or-change-sql-server-standalone-default-instance

Thursday, June 18, 2020 2:50 PM