none
Errors entering product key for ICE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to enter a product key for WES8 Standard into ICE and get the following message:

Error validating the product key.

Details: The provided configuration file has an invalid format.

The log file shows the following exception messages:

10:26 AM :
    10:26 AM : Error validating the product key.
    10:26 AM : System.ArgumentException: The provided configuration file has an invalid format.
       at Microsoft.Embedded.PidGenXInterop.ValidateProductKey(String sKey)
       at Microsoft.Embedded.LicenseValidator.UpdateProductLicense(String productKey)
       at Microsoft.Embedded.PKDForm.okButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Can someone confirm if this is an issue with the actual key or the config file format? It loos like the latter to me given the exception raised.

This is my first time using WES toolkit so excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question! I spoke to our IT admin in work and can see that historically whatever MS package the company purchase has a separate product key for WES 7 toolkit for example. This time round the MS bundle deal the company are on doesn't seem to have a separate WES 8 Toolkit licence.

I am trying to understand if we need to buy another licence or there is some issue with registering the WES 8 Standard product key.

Thanks,

Matt

• Edited by MTP_PDS Wednesday, March 2, 2016 10:03 PM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 9:57 PM

All replies

• With WES7, some were confused about the key that comes in the WES7 box as the run time key. The key in the box was only for installing the tools. For WES8, there is a toolkit key, but you must run ICE with elevated privileges for the key to stick. The key is a 5x5 alpha numeric value and it must be entered with the dashes.

As far as the run time key that is put into the configuration file, this key comes from a distributor. You have to go back to your MS distributor for more information. Once you have the run time key, you can put the key in the configuration file in Pass 1.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 11:39 PM
  • Sean,

Really appreciate the fast response. So it would appear we need to source a toolkit licence as we do not appear to have one.

Thanks for the heads up on 'Run as Administrator', I'll make sure to do that once I get through the bureaucracy of getting the licence purchased.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 4:25 AM
  • You distributor should be able to clarify the licensing.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, March 3, 2016 4:41 PM