none
How can I get the quick start menu to automatically load with the Unprotect icon? RRS feed

• Question

• How can I get the quick start menu to automatically load When Microsoft Office 2010 opens with the Unprotect icon?

Regards, jim

jim neal

Thursday, April 4, 2013 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Jim

I thought I answered this, but my answer seems to have gotten lost...

I know of no way to make this dropdown menu at the end of the QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) appear automatically.

What would be possible, and perhaps much better, would be to create a template (*.dotm) that can be used as an "add-in", rather than changing the users' Normal.dotm. Put the macro in that (it will need to be adjusted slightly). Using the Custom UI Editor, add a custom Ribbon XML to the template with a Group in the Home tab, with a button to call your macro. If the user also wants to add the button to his QAT he can simply right-click the button and choose the right-click menu entry to add the button to the QAT - no need for multiple steps or to go through menus.

You'll find information on working with Ribbon XML in the three-part article about customizing the Ribbon here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/aa905530.aspx

Once everything is set up, all the user (or you) needs to do is place the *.dotm in the user's STARTUP folder for Word. Word will then load it automatically, just like Normal.dotm

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by JamesLNeal Monday, April 8, 2013 1:04 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 5:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Jim

Your question isn't ringing any bells with me. As far as I know, Word 2010 doesn't have a "Quick Start menu" and I don't know what you mean by "opens with the Unprotect icon". Care to provide more information? I take it you're looking for a macro solution, since you're posting in MSDN?

Thursday, April 4, 2013 3:42 PM
  • First, I added the following to Normal.dot

Sub Unprotect_Document()
    '
    ' Unprotect_Document Macro
    '
    '
    ActiveDocument.Unprotect ("sampson")
    End Sub

1) On the top left of Word I can hit a down arrow "Customize Quick Access
    2) Toolbar" Click on "More Commands"
    3) From the drop down (Choose commands from) select Macros
    4) Find and add "Normal.NewMacros.Unprotect_Document"

I wanted to see if I can have the Quick Access button automatically display without the user having to go through all the steps above.

Regards, Jim

jim neal

Thursday, April 4, 2013 4:01 PM
  • Hi Jim

I thought I answered this, but my answer seems to have gotten lost...

I know of no way to make this dropdown menu at the end of the QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) appear automatically.

What would be possible, and perhaps much better, would be to create a template (*.dotm) that can be used as an "add-in", rather than changing the users' Normal.dotm. Put the macro in that (it will need to be adjusted slightly). Using the Custom UI Editor, add a custom Ribbon XML to the template with a Group in the Home tab, with a button to call your macro. If the user also wants to add the button to his QAT he can simply right-click the button and choose the right-click menu entry to add the button to the QAT - no need for multiple steps or to go through menus.

You'll find information on working with Ribbon XML in the three-part article about customizing the Ribbon here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/aa905530.aspx

Once everything is set up, all the user (or you) needs to do is place the *.dotm in the user's STARTUP folder for Word. Word will then load it automatically, just like Normal.dotm

• Marked as answer by JamesLNeal Monday, April 8, 2013 1:04 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 5:20 PM