Domain name from GoDaddy RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to point my GoDaddy hosted domain name, to my new Azure site. I have a static IP (I think) - so that I can use my SSL certificate.

However, when I try to get the domain name to work with azure, I am getting the error:

A CNAME record pointing from accufinance.com to accufinance.azurewebsites.net was not found. Alternative record awverify.accufinance.com to awverify.accufinance.azurewebsites.net was not found either.

However, when I 'Dig', I get this:
    (URL: http://digwebinterface.com/?hostnames=accufinance.com%0D%0Awww.accufinance.com&type=&ns=resolver&useresolver=8.8.4.4&nameservers=)

accufinance.com@8.8.4.4 (Default):
    accufinance.com. 1613 IN A 23.101.203.214

www.accufinance.com@8.8.4.4 (Default):
    www.accufinance.com. 3599 IN CNAME accufinance.azurewebsites.net.
    accufinance.azurewebsites.net. 1799 IN CNAME waws-prod-bay-017.vip.azurewebsites.windows.net.
    waws-prod-bay-017.vip.azurewebsites.windows.net. 299 IN CNAME waws-prod-bay-017.cloudapp.net.
    waws-prod-bay-017.cloudapp.net. 59 IN A 23.101.203.214

And that seems right, according to this tutorial:
    (Can't post the link..)

Maybe a propagation issue? But don't think so. That URL does show the CNAME changes I made... but, Azure tells me the CNAME is not sure.

See any issues?

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I am currently researching to gather more information with regards to your

request.

I shall revert back to you with an update at the earliest.

Sincerely appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:18 PM
  • Hi Craig,

I see that you have registered the website accufinance.com / 23.101.203.214  to point to the Microsoft Azure Web Site, but you have not yet configured Azure to recognize it.

The most common cause could be " Missing correct CNAME for the site "

Action Plan
    ========
    1.       Login to your azurewebsites portal.

2.       Navigate to websites and click on the accufinance website.

3.       Click on “CONFIGURE” from the top menu of this website. Scroll down on the page till you see “domain names”

4.       Click on “manage domains” and add the entry for accufinance.net

If this doesn't help, In order to diagnose we might want to gather further more details including Subscription ID and Log Reports. Microsoft respects Customer Data Privacy and hence would not suggest you to share the same on public forum. Recommend you to raise a technical support request via http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/options/ for the same.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

• Proposed as answer by Shirisha Paderu Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:48 PM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:44 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I followed these instructions, but am unable to add the domain name at Azure, due to the following error when I add the accufinance.com domain name:

A CNAME record pointing from accufinance.com to accufinance.azurewebsites.net was not found. Alternative record awverify.accufinance.com to awverify.accufinance.azurewebsites.net was not found either.

I think my CNAME part is not right, or Azure isn't seeing the CNAME settings I setup at GoDaddy?

Additionally, I can't raise a technical question with support as I am on a plan that doesn't seem to support it.

When I do online CNAME checks for accufinance.com, it seems to report no CNAME for that domain. Is it possible something is wrong with my CNAME - or does that all seem OK? Below is a shot of what my DNS settings are - which I think, are OK

AccuFinance.Com

And then, when I try add the domain at Azure, this is what I get:

Failed CNAME

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:40 PM
  • I've since updated GoDaddy to look like this:

But I am still seeing the same error. 

When I use online utilities to do 'CNAME Check', I see nothing that represents the settings I have in GoDaddy:

I'm worried that my CNAME settings are not working. I had to add my site to a email service, and for that, I had to add a verification CNAME row - and it worked instantly. It's just these Azure ones that don't seem to want to be visible.

All my GoDaddy DNS settings look OK when testing them here - except CNAME - which returns NO RESULT, which indicates the same thing that Azure is seeing.

http://www.nexcess.net/resources/tools/global-dns-checker/?h=accufinance.com&t=CNAME

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:48 PM
  • If you are using CNAME, you don't need awverify record.

Awverify record is required when using A record.

The setting is correct. you can open a support case if you are still unable to bind your domain names.

Thursday, October 23, 2014 1:28 AM
  • Thanks for that!

So, the A Records (@ -> 23.101.203.214) means that any request to my domain, should go to 23.101.203.214, (with the exception of anything on the MX records, I guess)?

I thought I had to add a CNAME for the Azure verification - and it's the CNAME that AZURE checks to make sure I own the domain, and uses it to authorize it's self to 'bind' my URL (accufinance) to (accufinance.azurewebsites.net).

I am not sure how to open a support ticket for this issue, because the support link checks my account, and says that I haven't got a plan that supports technical support - so forces me to raise a billing support ticket. Is there another way to try get this resolved?

Thursday, October 23, 2014 2:58 AM
  • UPDATE!

Something has started working!!

It now allows me to add www.accufinance.com and accufinance.com

I think it may have been a propagation thing.

I assume now I can remove the verification CNAME entry?

Can I delete those now? Must I leave the www one so that www.accufinance.com still resolves to Azure?

Thursday, October 23, 2014 3:08 AM
  • Hello Craig_BNE,

As pointed out by 'WZhao' in the previous post, 'Awverify ' is required only if you are using a Arecord. The CNAME does not need awverify record.

When I Dig in for the awverify.accufinance.azurewebsites.net, it is not pointing to any of the domains:

http://www.digwebinterface.com/?hostnames=awverify.accufinance.azurewebsites.net&type=&ns=resolver&useresolver=8.8.4.4&nameservers=

You can also refer to this link that will give you information on 'Create an “awverify” record (A records only)':

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/web-sites-custom-domain-name/#awverify

Since the awrecord is not pointing to anything it is okay to delete it. However, I would suggest you to keep it if you wish to use subdomains in future.

Thanks,
    Syed irfan Hussain

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:40 PM