none
.NET Framework 4 installs, but .NET4 Applications won't run and verification fails RRS feed

• Question

• I have the same problem described in following thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/netfxsetup/thread/d8601382-83a4-4039-a71b-3b68dcdc6e26

I'm running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

I installed the .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and even tried installing the FULL/Extended edition the install appears to go in just fine, no errors or anything. Once I try to run a program it fails to work, I tried to verify my .NET4 installation using this tool...

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

It ALWAYS fails the verification no matter how many times I uninstall/clean up and reinstall...

Here is a snippet from the verifier log...

.....[07/22/10,17:35:35] Section [Registry - .NET Framework 4 Full (Wow6432Node)] - stop parsing entries
    [07/22/10,17:35:35] Processing custom action 'Custom Action - .NET Framework 4.0 test application'
    [07/22/10,17:35:35] ExecutablePath = 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe'
    [07/22/10,17:35:35] FriendlyName = '.NET Framework 4 test application'
    [07/22/10,17:35:35] TimeoutSeconds = '300'
    [07/22/10,17:35:35] WaitOnExit = 'true'
    [07/22/10,17:35:35] Silent = 'true'
    [07/22/10,17:35:35] Launching process 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe' now
    [07/22/10,17:35:35] Process successfully launched. Waiting 300 seconds for it to complete.
    [07/22/10,17:35:35] ****ERROR**** Process 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe' exited with return code -2146232576
    [07/22/10,17:35:35] ****ERROR**** Verification failed for product .NET Framework 4 Full

I have already tried what suggested in the thread mentioned (uninstalling all .NET 4 parts, disabling AV software, installing as administrator), but it ain't helped.

Hope that someone can resolve this issue,
    Ivan

Thursday, September 2, 2010 11:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Ivan,

Based on your description, it sounds like that .NET 4.0 is not well installed on your machine.

For your concern, have you tried to completely remove .NET Framework 4.0 on your machine?

If no, please uninstall it. Then download .NET Framework 4.0 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a391abd-25c1-4fc0-919f-b21f31ab88b7&displaylang=en and install it again. Please run the installer with Administrator Privilege (Right-click the installer >> "Run as Administrator ")

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, September 3, 2010 5:00 AM
  • Thanks for the tip.

I've tried to install it as requested but nothing happened. I've tried 2 different uninstall methods after successful installation which are:

1. Uninstall through control panel
    2. Uninstall using .NET framework cleanup tool

Any other hints?

Ivan

Monday, September 6, 2010 12:08 PM
  • Hi Ivan,

Welcome to MSDN forums.

As your error log files, I found some errors as bellows.

2010-08-31 12:51:30, Info                  CBS    SQM: Failed to start upload with file pattern: C:\Windows\servicing\sqm\*_std.sqm, flags: 0x2 [HRESULT = 0x80004005 - E_FAIL]

2010-08-31 12:51:30, Info                  CBS    SQM: Failed to start standard sample upload. [HRESULT = 0x80004005 - E_FAIL]

I would provide some suggestions with you.

-          Your issue might be caused by some corrupted files. Could you please attempt to type CHKDSK /r to repair C drive?

Then,  please try to re-install it again.

See: http://www.w7forums.com/use-chkdsk-check-disk-t448.html for more information about how to operator this command on Windows 7.

-          Could you please try to repair .NET Framework 4? The .NET Framework 4 uses a different setup chainer than in previous versions of the .NET Framework. 

Note:

1.       There are different repair and uninstall command lines for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the .NET Framework 4

2.       The .NET Framework 4 includes both a client profile and a full version.  Uninstalling the full version requires 2 steps – one to uninstall the extended component and another to uninstall the client profile.

See: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2010/05/12/10011664.aspx for more information.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:03 AM
  • As requested I did. chkdsk /r didn't find any errors. I've istalled again full package (si client and extended part) and reverified, but doesn't work.

I'm sending via email .cab with latest install logs for your consideration.

Ivan

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 7:28 PM
  • As requested I did. chkdsk /r didn't find any errors. I've istalled again full package (si client and extended part) and reverified, but doesn't work.

I'm sending via email .cab with latest install logs for your consideration.

Ivan

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 7:28 PM
  • Hi Ivan,

Glad to see your feedback and your log files.

Some questions need to clarify with you. J

-          Have you installed .NET Framework 4 Beta 1 on your machine?

After I have checked your log files, I found the following error messages.

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20100908_205924718.html

Exe (C:\cdfe7785aa7b0c11059305960a2e\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x80240017 - (null).

Windows Update

2010-09-08 14:44:43:63 WARNING: ReportEventBatch failure, error = 0x8024402C

As the above error messages, I would provide some suggestions with you.

-          Could you please check whether your firewall is closed or not?

0x8024402C may occur if proxy or firewall settings are configured incorrectly. In this case, the connection on the client computer to the Windows Update servers fails.

1.       You could remove characters from the proxy exception list, and then clear the proxy chache.

2.       Or you could enable the “Automatically detect settings” option in IE.

See this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900936/en-gb for more detail information.

-          After you have checked that Windows Update is completed thoroughly, could you please uninstall .NET Framework 4 from your machine thoroughly?

-          Then, please re-install .NET Framework it. You could get it from YiChun’s reply.

-          After you have installed successfully on your machine, please check whether .NET Framework is installed correctly or not via .NET Framework Verification’s Tool.

You could refer the following link about 0x8024402C

http://www.electrosonics.net/technotes/xperror0x8024402c.htm

http://www.updatexp.com/0x8024402c.html

If you have any issues during installing .NET Framework 4, please feel free to provide latest log files or capture screenshots in your reply.

CHEERS!

Larcolais Gong

Thursday, September 9, 2010 2:04 AM
  • Hi Ivan,

I'm writing to follow-up this post.

Any update?

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Thursday, September 9, 2010 9:49 AM
  • Hi,

I have tried the exact same steps as requested: disable firewall and antivirus,install windows updates, uninstall .NET 4 Client,reinstall as administrator .net 4 full. Verification fails at the same point.

I'd be really grateful for any new idea on this,

Ivan

Friday, September 10, 2010 10:49 AM
  • I am experiencing the exact same problem. Tied all up mentioned steps for solution and still fail on verification. *chkdsk does not find any errors. *firwall nor proxy present during install. *used all clean up tools and standalone installations after murmurous restarts. Getting this in the verification failure log: ****ERROR**** Process 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe' exited with return code -2146232576 Also troubleshooting wizards fail with with unexpected error. Aero doesn't work. I cant seem to isolate the core issue ! Its not a virus, since I externally scanned every thing with AVG. Only suspect is that using programs like "CCleaner" corrupted some part of the registry. I would be glad if somebody has an advice.
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 10:38 PM
  • Hi,

I'm having the exact same problems as Ivan. I've been looking for an anwser everywhere but noone can provide any solutions.

i'm using a windows vista 64x system. Installing .net Framework goes without a problem. but using a program that makes use of .net framework i receive the initialasation error and it says the program is not installed.

I've taken al the above mentioned steps but nothing seems te work. I have installed and uninst,led the program the program about 20 times now but it is of no use.

could you please provide any form of advice because so far nothing has worked.

maybe there is going to be an update on the program anytime soon?

kind regards,

Job Goren

Monday, November 22, 2010 9:24 AM
  • Hi,

i have same problem, i was trying all that stuff up here... noting works, :(

[11/29/10,18:20:39] ****ERROR**** Process 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe' exited with return code -2146232576
    [11/29/10,18:20:39] ****ERROR**** Verification failed for product .NET Framework 4 Client

Getting same error...

and same pop up with Net Framework Initialization Error, asking for version 4.0.30319 even if is already instaled...

I can send you that installation Log if you need... just tell me. Here is my contact mail, feel free for any ideas or questions: aminqo@gmail.com

I hope it will be fixed as soon as possible, best regards Microsoft team :(

• Edited by Sweny SK Monday, November 29, 2010 5:50 PM adding mail
    Monday, November 29, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Is there some news about this issue?

I have exactly the same issue!

I even reinstalled my operating system. After a while I noticed the Initialization error again. It has to be a bug in the .NET framework.

The verification tool fails and gives the following reason :

[12/29/10,17:20:06] ****ERROR**** Process 'Netfx40TestApplication.exe' exited with return code -2146232576

[12/29/10,17:20:06] ****ERROR**** Verification failed for product .NET Framework 4 Full

Before I reinstalled the OS (Windows 7 x64 Ultimate) I tried all the steps mentioned before. Uninstall, reinstall, cleanup tool, ccleaner, nothing fixed the issue!

I would appreciate some help and or suggestions...

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 4:25 PM
  • If it may help : the files mscoree.dll in the folders c:\windows\system32 and c:\windows\syswow64 still have version 2.0.

A reinstall of the framework 4 doesn't change that versionnumber..

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 7:39 PM
  • I wrote a blog post about one of the possible root causes of the issue described in this thread.  You can find it at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2010/12/29/10110053.aspx and I encourage you to take a look and see if any of the information there helps in your scenarios.

Thanks!

Monday, January 31, 2011 10:23 PM
  • For all the ones that still suffer with this issue. I managed to solve it.

Root of the problem was the wrong Windows 7 version.

I used one of the first iso's of Windows 7 that you could download of MSDN.

I downloaded a new version an now everything works as expected.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:24 AM