No battery icon for laptops?

Question

• Just installed windows 8 but there's no battery indicator like in windows 7 for laptops.  Any program or way to set one of these up?

Edit: Just to mention, it thinks my laptop is plugged in by AC when it's not.

• Edited by sbeanie Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:52 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• there is a battery icon, just run your mouse over the start bar and push settings, it shows up there.  It should also show up on the login screen if I'm not mistaken.  If it doesn't show up, then windows probably thinks you are on a desktop therefore, no need for battery indicator.  Also, widgets still work on the classic desktop so I would try a battery widget there.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:53 PM
  • Not showing any battery.  Even rebooted and tried plugging it in.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Hey Sbeanie,

Let's try downloading/installing the latest drivers available for your laptop from your laptop manufacturer's website. If you encounter problems while installing the drivers because they are designed for a different version of Windows you can try using the Compatibility troubleshooter by following the steps provided below:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the locally saved installer for your computer's driver/drivers.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:21 PM
  • It actually just came on when I restarted the computer one time. 

Thanks anyway :)

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:53 AM
  • Steven,

I am having the same issue on my laptop. How can this be a driver issue when the meter doesn't involve hardware? It is embedded in Windows OS.

Monday, October 03, 2011 12:44 PM
  • Hey Rdevans,

Windows Developer Preview may not be able to get the correct information or communicate properly with the hardware (the battery and/or chipset) if there is a conflict with a driver that is involved.

Edit: Adding a question

If you unplug your PC and then restart your computer, do you still see a "plugged in" icon instead of a battery status icon?

Steven

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 1:49 AM
  • Hey Steven,

No. I have also disconnected power cord and battery and have same results with no icon. I am really stumped with this. I have to know what my battery life is.

Dennis

Thursday, October 06, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Hey Dennis,

Try checking to see if a more recent version of your computer's BIOS is available. BIOS updates can usually be found on your computer manufacturer's website in the same section that driver downloads are provided. You user manual for the computer or an instructional on your computer manufacturer's website should provide steps to update your BIOS if an update is available.

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS/UEFI settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 1:40 AM
  • Hey Steven,

I have updated all drivers and BIOS. Still have same results.

Thanks

Thursday, October 27, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Hey Dennis,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

Steven
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:51 AM