Suddenly Slow Uploads to Azure Blob Storage RRS feed

• Question

• We are new to using Azure Blob Storage but have been uploading ~17 TB of data for the past month.  We use Synology's CloudSync application to push our backups to our Azure Blob Storage.  We are done with the initial upload and just deltas are being uploaded from here on out.  However something happened around the first of the month (March).  All of the uploads went from several GB of data being uploaded nightly to near nothing getting uploaded and our backups are getting behind.

Testing the Azure upload speed with http://www.azurespeed.com/Azure/Upload says we should be getting ~374.27 KB/s to US Central (which is where our blob storage is).  <o:p></o:p>

Are we hitting a throttling threshold?  Anyone have any tips?<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Thanks in advance!<o:p></o:p>

Thursday, March 7, 2019 8:03 PM

Answers

• There is no throttling on the Azure side below the published 60 MB/s scalability target for a single blob. If the network and client machine can handle the traffic, then we will send it. Here's a guide for troubleshooting high E2E latency:

Requesting you to check Selecting a data transfer solution option 

I would recommend using, AzCopy is a command-line utility designed for copying data to/from Microsoft Azure Blob, File, and Table storage, using simple commands designed for optimal performance. You can copy data between a file system and a storage account, or between storage accounts.

There are two versions of AzCopy that you can download. AzCopy on Windows offers Windows style command-line options. AzCopy on Linux targets Linux platforms offering POSIX style command-line options. This article covers AzCopy on Windows.

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Friday, March 8, 2019 6:17 AM

All replies

• There is no throttling on the Azure side below the published 60 MB/s scalability target for a single blob. If the network and client machine can handle the traffic, then we will send it. Here's a guide for troubleshooting high E2E latency:

Requesting you to check Selecting a data transfer solution option 

I would recommend using, AzCopy is a command-line utility designed for copying data to/from Microsoft Azure Blob, File, and Table storage, using simple commands designed for optimal performance. You can copy data between a file system and a storage account, or between storage accounts.

There are two versions of AzCopy that you can download. AzCopy on Windows offers Windows style command-line options. AzCopy on Linux targets Linux platforms offering POSIX style command-line options. This article covers AzCopy on Windows.

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Friday, March 8, 2019 6:17 AM
  • Testing with AzCopy on the same network to the same blob and I do not see the slowness.  There might be something with the Synology Cloud Sync app that is causing the issue.  I will reach out to Synology support on this.

Thank you for your response and assistance in troubleshooting this.  Once I find a solution I will post it here.

Friday, March 8, 2019 5:24 PM
  • @QuentinJimenez If you need any assistance, please free to contact us anytime and you can share your solution that might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query on this do let us know.
    Monday, March 11, 2019 7:02 AM