Dependency Generator Issue?? RRS feed

• Question

•    We are currently including a selection of complex types from one schema document into a schema defining a dataset. However, the code generation tool doesn't seem to be able to detect that the datasets need to be regenerated when the included schema is changed.

We are currently on VS 2005, but this problem was also an issue in VS 2003. Are there any know workarounds or fixes for this?
    Wednesday, December 7, 2005 10:17 PM

Answers

• I understand you like the VS designer to detect a change in an included schema and regenertate TypedDataSet. There is no support for this feature in v1.x/2.0 as you have observed. I see that it would be nice for the designer to detect the change however and is something that could be considered for a future release.

Some background thay you may find useful in understanding how VS/DataSet processes schema.

In v2.0 the VS designer delegates the processing of scheam to DataSet and operates on the DataSet instance after it has processed the specified schema.

DataSet or the VS designer does not know or keep track of the included schemas. DataSet internally uses SchemaCollection(in v1.x) and SchemaSet(in v2.0)  to process included and imported schemas and operates on the compiled SchemaSet. It does not try to figure out the section of schema that was a result of an include or was part of the specified schema that is, it operates on the logical schema which is independent of the physical organization - hence the bahavior as observed by you.

Thanks,

Kawarjit Bedi

Program Manager ADO.NET

kbedi@microsoft.com

Monday, January 23, 2006 6:22 PM

All replies

• I understand you like the VS designer to detect a change in an included schema and regenertate TypedDataSet. There is no support for this feature in v1.x/2.0 as you have observed. I see that it would be nice for the designer to detect the change however and is something that could be considered for a future release.

Some background thay you may find useful in understanding how VS/DataSet processes schema.

In v2.0 the VS designer delegates the processing of scheam to DataSet and operates on the DataSet instance after it has processed the specified schema.

DataSet or the VS designer does not know or keep track of the included schemas. DataSet internally uses SchemaCollection(in v1.x) and SchemaSet(in v2.0)  to process included and imported schemas and operates on the compiled SchemaSet. It does not try to figure out the section of schema that was a result of an include or was part of the specified schema that is, it operates on the logical schema which is independent of the physical organization - hence the bahavior as observed by you.

Thanks,

Kawarjit Bedi

Program Manager ADO.NET

kbedi@microsoft.com

Monday, January 23, 2006 6:22 PM
  • Then if I were to reference the schema using a file:// uri, would the dependency generation detect the change?

Alternatively, if VS2005 had the 6.0 capability of assigning a file-level dependency it would also provide me with a workaround.

Friday, April 21, 2006 10:24 PM