none
VS2015 projects can ONLY be on the install drive?

Question

• Steps to rep:

1. Create a new, blank, UWP, VC++ app project (File --> New -->  Project --> Visual C++ --> Windows --> Universal --> Blank App)
    2. Store the project on D:\    (VS is installed on C:)
    3. Hit F5 to build and run the app

Error:

Now repeat the process but this time store the project on C:\.  Everything works just fine.

How do I configure VS to let me store and run projects stored on a drive different than the drive on which VS is installed?

Specs:

Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2015
    Version 14.0.24720.00 Update 1
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.6.01038

Windows 10.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Pointer To Void,

Please create other type of project to make sure whether this problem occurs with just UWP project or with all type projects.

As far as I know, projects needn't to store in the drive where VS installed. Please store your project to another Drive, such as E:\ or others. If you don't have other drives on your computer, please change another computer which installed VS2015 and has other drives.

You also can check the D:\ on your computer, whether it is encrypted. Please refer to this thread, which has the similar problem. It is caused by the encrypted drive.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19847563/unable-to-activate-windows-store-app-the-app-didnt-start

According to the error message, it mentioned that "See help for advice on troubleshooting the issue". Please try the suggestion in help.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, December 4, 2015 3:04 AM
  • I have it with C# projects as well.  Encryption doesn't matter, I've tried it other non-encrypted drives, same issue.  My D: is encrypted but I use Bitlocker instead of Truecrypt.  I don't think any of that has anything to do with it.  The 1511 release notes of the SDK suggests that a new feature was added that lets you run a UWP app off a non-install drive.  That makes me think that this was unsupported at launch.  This isn't worth this much time to wrestle with a MS flaw, I'll just work off C: until MS gets their crap together.

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 1:41 PM
  • Hi  Pointer To Void,

I create a new UWP application with Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 Update 1 on Windows 10, and store the app on D:\ drive (my Visual Studio installed on C:\), everything works fine.

Please refer to the steps about how to diagnose these errors in this article.

Use Event Viewer

1.Open Event Viewer (on the Windows Start menu, search for Event Viewer.) In Event Viewer, navigate in the tree to the Application and Services Log\Microsoft\Windows\Apps  folder.
    2.Filter the view to event Ids: 5900-6000
    3.Examine the log and see what occurred.

Use the native debugger

Configure the project to run under a native debugger.

In Visual Studio, set the Debugger Type to Native Only on the Debug (Debugging in C++ and JavaScript) page of the property pages of the start-up project.

Look at the exceptions being thrown by looking at the output window. You might want to configure the debugger to stop when these exceptions are thrown.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:05 AM