Windows 8 Developer Preview: How to allow an application to create files into c:\-root?

Question

• I have old application that use c:\-root for saving log files. The same application is run in XP, Vista and Win7 environments but in the Win8 (Dev Prev) log writing fails.

I took the ownership of the root and gave everyone full access, but still the application cannot create the needed files. On the otherhand even I cannot create files into c:\-root with notepad. I can copy files into c:\-root, but not create directly or indirectly.

There is a workaround for me: Just create the logs into different folder, but then the reporting scripts that poll the logs gets broken and they are too much hassle to fix right now.

Any help would be much apprectiated.

-Harri

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• This is the result of software virtualization. When UAC is turned on, you must run the application elevated to allow the application to run to protected areas such as root of the boot drive, %programfiles%, etc.

Check this location to find the data that has been redirected by the OS:

%localappdata%\VirtualStore

Read more about software virtualization: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/developers/archive/2009/08/04/user-account-control-data-redirection.aspx

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    • Edited by Exotic Hadron Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:53 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Exotic Hadron Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Wernester Wednesday, February 01, 2012 12:45 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:49 PM
  • Thanks. Nothing was stored in the %localappdata%\VirtualStore, but the article was useful for finding the solution for me.

-Harri

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 12:46 PM