Modify Horizontal Navigation Bar Above SharePoint Title RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,

I was wondering if there is a way to remove the horizontal navigation bar that SharePoint puts above a title by default.

For example, I'd like to remove "Emerging Technology > Site Settings > Site Libraries and Lists" navigation aid that is added above the "Site Libraries and Lists" as shown below

Emerging Technology > Site Settings > Site Libraries and Lists  

Site Libraries and Lists

Any help at all would be appreciated immensely!

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:31 PM

Answers

• If you are removing the global breadcrumb on the left top, you lose the option portal site connection (see top level site settings), not a very important feature but just to let you know.

3 options on how to remove it

1. Add the style to your custom style sheet
    2. CEWP on the page and put the style in there (like you did before). I don't like this option because you have to put the wp on every page
    3. Remove the breadcrumb from the master page.

the style if you want to do it with css is

.ms-globalleft .ms-globallinks
    {
    visibility: hidden;
    }

Renee Hulsman - e-office / the netherlands - rhulsman.blogspot.com
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:16 PM
  • Hi NYLRD,

For hide/remove the search control in the pages without using SharePoint Designer, you could use a hidden Content Edit web part followed by the article you mentioned (http://www.dlocc.com/sharepoint-main-menu/solutions-category/79-hide-breadcrumbs-on-certain-pages.html) in the previous posts.

Here is the CSS styles to hide the search for your reference:

<style>

.ms-sbtable{

display:none;

}

.ms-sbtable-ex{

}

</style>

I am sorry I am not sure how to hide the hyperlink of the site title by using CSS.

Although some of the page elements can be hidden by the Content Edit web part, I suggest you to ask the site collection administrator to create a custom master page for your site.

Because the master page applies to all the pages. You need to modify the styles in master page only, then the modifications apply to all the pages.

By comparison, the Content Edit web part applies to a specific page, you had to add all the pages with the same web part in order to hide all the controls.

As your real requirement is forbidding the anonymous users to have the ability to navigate to the some of the pages.

It is suggested to using permissions to restrict the anonymous users of accessing to the specified lists.

Because there is a security risk if you hide the links in the UI only, the anonymous users still have ability to navigate to the unauthorized pages via URL.

see Enable anonymous access for individual lists (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263363.aspx#Section4) for a detailed steps.

Hope the information can be helpful.

-lambert
    Lambert Qin | Microsoft Online Support Engineer
    How to ask a question in the forum (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375)
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by NYLRD Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:33 PM
    Monday, March 16, 2009 2:34 AM

All replies

• are talking about breadcrumbs??you can remove it by modifying master page
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:00 PM
  • Open the masterpage in SharePoint Designer and delete

<asp:SiteMapPath SiteMapProvider="SPContentMapProvider" id="ContentMap" SkipLinkText="" NodeStyle-CssClass="ms-sitemapdirectional" runat="server"/> &nbsp;

The place holder is empty then, leave the placeholder

<
    asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderTitleBreadcrumb" runat="server">

</asp:ContentPlaceHolder>

If you are using MOSS, some pagelayouts have their own breadcrumb. for exampl as shown below in a articlepage

<asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderId="PlaceHolderTitleBreadcrumb" runat="server">

<div class="breadcrumb">

<asp:SiteMapPath ID="siteMapPath" Runat="server" SiteMapProvider="CurrentNavSiteMapProviderNoEncode" 

RenderCurrentNodeAsLink="false" SkipLinkText="" CurrentNodeStyle-CssClass="breadcrumbCurrent" 
                                        NodeStyle-CssClass="ms-sitemapdirectional"/>

</div>
    </
    asp:Content>

You have to customize the pagelayouts as well

Renee Hulsman

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 7:15 PM
  • I found an easier way to do it without SPD by using a Content Editor Webpart...

Read the link below to learn..

http://www.dlocc.com/sharepoint-main-menu/solutions-category/79-hide-breadcrumbs-on-certain-pages.html

However, I would now like to try to either hide/remove the Global Breadcrumb that appears at the uppermost left hand corner of the page without using SPD...

Does anyone know if this would be possible?

Any input at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:15 PM
  • If you are removing the global breadcrumb on the left top, you lose the option portal site connection (see top level site settings), not a very important feature but just to let you know.

3 options on how to remove it

1. Add the style to your custom style sheet
    2. CEWP on the page and put the style in there (like you did before). I don't like this option because you have to put the wp on every page
    3. Remove the breadcrumb from the master page.

the style if you want to do it with css is

.ms-globalleft .ms-globallinks
    {
    visibility: hidden;
    }

Renee Hulsman - e-office / the netherlands - rhulsman.blogspot.com
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:16 PM
  • SUCCESS!

Thank you so much, Renee!

Also, a couple of other quick things that are similar to this topic if anybody might be able to help.

1) Is it possible to hide/remove the search feature (as shown below)as well?
    Go Search

2) Is it possible to unlink the Title of the site(i.e., shown below), which shown at the top left hand corner of the page under the global breadcrumb?

Emerging Technology

As always, any help on the subject would be immensely appreciated!

Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:33 PM
  • Hi NYLRD,

You have two in the previous post.

Q1. Is it possible to hide/remove the search control in the pages?

Yes, it is possible, the search control could be hidden in the default.master page by the following steps:

1.    Open SharePoint Designer 2007. Go to File | Open Site and connect to SharePoint site.

2.    Expand out _catalogs -> masterpage -> open default.master. Check out file, if necessary.

3.    In Code View, search for "PlaceHolderSearchArea". After id="PlaceHolderSearchArea", add the following property: Visible="false".

In all, the code should look something like:

<asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="PlaceHolderSearchArea" Visible="false" runat="server">

<SharePoint:DelegateControl runat="server" ControlId="SmallSearchInputBox"/>

</asp:ContentPlaceHolder>

4.    Save master page, check in (if necessary), and publish major version.

For more information, please refer to: How to hide search control on default.master (http://blogs.msdn.com/spdsupport/archive/2008/04/10/how-to-hide-search-control-on-default-master.aspx)

Q2. Is it possible to remove hyperlink of the site title?

Yes, it is possible. To remove hyperlink of the site title, follow the steps:

1.    Open SharePoint Designer 2007. Go to File | Open Site and connect to SharePoint site.

2.    Expand out _catalogs -> masterpage -> open default.master. Check out file, if necessary.

3.    In Code View, search for "onetidProjectPropertyTitle". Located the SharePoint:SPLinkButton control and remove it.

In all, the code should look something like:

<SharePoint:SPLinkButton runat="server" NavigateUrl="~site/" id="onetidProjectPropertyTitle">

<SharePoint:ProjectProperty Property="Title" runat="server" />

</SharePoint:SPLinkButton>

4.    Save master page, check in (if necessary), and publish major version.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

-lambert

Friday, March 13, 2009 9:14 AM
  • Hi Lambert,

Thanks so much for the response!

If it is possible, I would like to try avoiding SPD for the simple fact that I do not have the admin permissions to edit the master page and republish it.

However, I do have Owner permissions for the site itself.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Friday, March 13, 2009 12:47 PM
  • Be aware that if you have a site that doesn't Inherit navigation from it's parent site, you may well need that Global Navigation Breadcrumb...
    Friday, March 13, 2009 1:23 PM
  •  Thanks Andy for the response- I am aware of this.

The reason I want to get rid of the breadcrumbs and all things that could link back to the SharePoint homepage is because I want certain lists to be presented independantly to guest(anonymous) users with no link to their parent site at all.

I do not want to allow anonymous users to have the ability to navigate and find their way back into my SP homepage and subsequently other pages within the SP site.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 3:45 PM
  • Hi NYLRD,

For hide/remove the search control in the pages without using SharePoint Designer, you could use a hidden Content Edit web part followed by the article you mentioned (http://www.dlocc.com/sharepoint-main-menu/solutions-category/79-hide-breadcrumbs-on-certain-pages.html) in the previous posts.

Here is the CSS styles to hide the search for your reference:

<style>

.ms-sbtable{

}

.ms-sbtable-ex{

}

</style>

I am sorry I am not sure how to hide the hyperlink of the site title by using CSS.

Although some of the page elements can be hidden by the Content Edit web part, I suggest you to ask the site collection administrator to create a custom master page for your site.

Because the master page applies to all the pages. You need to modify the styles in master page only, then the modifications apply to all the pages.

By comparison, the Content Edit web part applies to a specific page, you had to add all the pages with the same web part in order to hide all the controls.

As your real requirement is forbidding the anonymous users to have the ability to navigate to the some of the pages.

It is suggested to using permissions to restrict the anonymous users of accessing to the specified lists.

Because there is a security risk if you hide the links in the UI only, the anonymous users still have ability to navigate to the unauthorized pages via URL.

see Enable anonymous access for individual lists (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263363.aspx#Section4) for a detailed steps.

Hope the information can be helpful.

-lambert
    • Marked as answer by NYLRD Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:33 PM
    Monday, March 16, 2009 2:34 AM
  • Thanks for the CSS Lambert, it worked!

I will still research to see if there is a way to unlink the Titles.

If I find a solution, I will post it.

Thanks again
    Monday, March 16, 2009 2:19 PM
  • It is quite simple to unlink the titles.
    Modify the following code in the master page or Page Layout
    < asp:SiteMapPath SiteMapProvider ="SPContentMapProvider" id ="ContentMap" SkipLinkText ="" NodeStyle-CssClass ="ms-sitemapdirectional" runat ="server"/>
    to
    < asp:SiteMapPath SiteMapProvider ="SPContentMapProvider" id ="ContentMap" SkipLinkText ="" NodeStyle-CssClass ="ms-sitemapdirectional" enabled="false" runat ="server"/>

enabled = "false" will disable the links of the bread crumb.

Monday, October 26, 2009 12:42 AM