How to open to instances of the same excel flat file? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a package that uses the same flat file (excel) however in one of the steps I call an executable application that also needs to access that excel file in order to validate it. When I exceute the package from the job, it just hangs. After reviewing the error is that the package and the executable both are fighting to get the excel file. As the package opens it up and the executable's step goes first and waits to gain control and because the package already controls it, it won't let go.

I have tried to copy the flat file and then have the exe open the copy but it still has the same result.

Any sugestions?

Thanks,

Luis
    Monday, March 23, 2009 9:10 PM

Answers

• My suggested solution would have been to create a copy of the file as the first step of package execution.

There should be no contention between the original file and a copy - can you verify that both tasks actually access a different file?

Cheers,
       - Roland
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:37 AM

All replies

• My suggested solution would have been to create a copy of the file as the first step of package execution.

There should be no contention between the original file and a copy - can you verify that both tasks actually access a different file?

Cheers,
       - Roland
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:37 AM
  • Make sure you create a new connection for the Excel task source, pointing to the Copy of the excel file and let the executable work with the original excel. Remove the existing Excel connection in connection manager of SSIS and add a new one to the copy. That should work.

Cheers,
    M.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:18 AM