I am about to download SQL server 2017, what is difference between core and CAL based product? RRS feed

• Question

• I am about to download SQL server 2017, what is difference between CORE and CAL based product?
    Friday, September 28, 2018 11:16 AM

Answers

• I am about to download SQL server 2017, what is difference between CORE and CAL based product?

I just shamelessly copied below from SQL Server 2017 Licensing Guide

CORE

Under the Per Core licensing model, each server running SQL Server 2017 software or any of its components (such as Reporting Services or Integration Services) must be assigned an appropriate number of SQL Server 2017 core licenses. The number of core licenses needed, depends on whether customers are licensing the physical server or individual virtual operating system environments (OSEs).

Unlike the Server+CAL licensing model, the Per Core model allows access for an unlimited number of users or devices to connect from either inside or outside an organization’s firewall. With the Per Core model, customers do not need to purchase additional client access licenses (CALs) to access the SQL Server software.

CALC

When licensing the SQL Server 2017 Standard Edition software under the Server+CAL model, customers purchase a server license for each server, and a client access license (CAL) for each device (Device CAL) and/or user (User CAL) accessing SQL Server or any of its components. A CAL is not software; it is a license granting users and devices access to the SQL Server software.

Under the Server+CAL licensing model, each operating system environment (OSE) running SQL Server 2017 software or any of its components must have a SQL Server 2017 server license assigned to the physical server  hosting the OSE. Each server license allows customers to run any number of SQL Server instances in a single OSE, either physical or virtual

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, September 28, 2018 11:23 AM
    Answerer
  • Friday, September 28, 2018 11:24 AM
    Answerer
  • You need to download the version specific to the license you purchased.

Friday, September 28, 2018 2:31 PM
    Answerer

All replies

I just shamelessly copied below from SQL Server 2017 Licensing Guide

CORE

Under the Per Core licensing model, each server running SQL Server 2017 software or any of its components (such as Reporting Services or Integration Services) must be assigned an appropriate number of SQL Server 2017 core licenses. The number of core licenses needed, depends on whether customers are licensing the physical server or individual virtual operating system environments (OSEs).

Unlike the Server+CAL licensing model, the Per Core model allows access for an unlimited number of users or devices to connect from either inside or outside an organization’s firewall. With the Per Core model, customers do not need to purchase additional client access licenses (CALs) to access the SQL Server software.

CALC

When licensing the SQL Server 2017 Standard Edition software under the Server+CAL model, customers purchase a server license for each server, and a client access license (CAL) for each device (Device CAL) and/or user (User CAL) accessing SQL Server or any of its components. A CAL is not software; it is a license granting users and devices access to the SQL Server software.

Under the Server+CAL licensing model, each operating system environment (OSE) running SQL Server 2017 software or any of its components must have a SQL Server 2017 server license assigned to the physical server  hosting the OSE. Each server license allows customers to run any number of SQL Server instances in a single OSE, either physical or virtual

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, September 28, 2018 11:23 AM
    Answerer
  • Friday, September 28, 2018 11:24 AM
    Answerer
  • You need to download the version specific to the license you purchased.

Friday, September 28, 2018 2:31 PM
    Answerer