Hosting .Net application in IE Browser RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I developed a windows-based client application using VB.Net. Now, the customer like this application can be opened from the IE browser.

It can be done by creating a virtual directory in the IIS server and instantiating a UserControl that open the main form on that application. This approach requires IIS server on every client machine.

My customer would like to have the capability opening the application from the IE explorer by just dropping the exe file on the IE browser (or in the same way MS Office or Acrobat reader work).

In fact I've checked some VB6 application can be hosted in the IE without using the IIS server.

Is there any way of doing that with a .Net application?

thanks,

Olman Quesada

Friday, April 27, 2007 4:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Olman,

If you've developed a Windows Forms application in VB.NET, there is no real way to deploy it through IE.

This is not very different from applications developed using VB6, by the way: although you could conceivably use IE as an Explorer-like bootstrap for your executable (which is not supported by recent IE versions due to security restrictions anyway), there just isn't much of a point in doing so.

Instead, I suggest you take a look at ClickOnce deployment (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/ms789088.aspx): using ClickOnce, your users can easily download and install your app, and you get things like automatic updates thrown in for free as well.

If your client REALLY requires your app to run in IE and other browsers (like Firefox), your only option is to re-do your work in ASP.NET -- this is quite non-trivial, though, and as long as the PCs your app needs to run on are all Windows-based, ClickOnce is a much simpler alternative.

'//mdb

Saturday, April 28, 2007 8:10 PM