What happens if mirror server lost connection from primary server RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello all,

We are planning to do the DR test very soon. My organization decide to breake the connection between the primary and mirror server for couple of hours as part of the DR test. What happens if we loos the connection between the primary, mirror and witness servers after we establish the connection. Do we need to setup the mirroring? Please let me know I am middle of preparing the document for the DR test. Thanks!

Friday, May 16, 2008 12:59 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• That depends on setup.

It may failover. If undesirable, than stop mirroring prior to test.

Here is a related article:

http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/paul/2007/10/25/SearchEngineQA8HowCanDefraggingAnIndexBreakSynchronousMirroringAndWhatHappens.aspx

Friday, May 16, 2008 7:08 PM
  • Since you are using Witness , Synchronous mode , you may not have to re-setup Mirroring.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 4:20 AM
  • Hi Vishal

we did the DR test yesterday. after we disconnect the network connection all the databases that we set up mirroring were in the state "principle, recovery" mode. we were unabl to access the database. After that we forcefully remove the mirroring using the command

alter database <database> set partner off

after we reestablish the connection between the three servers both the databases were available for use. to set up the mirroring again we bakcup (Full, trn log bakcups) the databases in the principle server, restore in mirror server and set up the mirroring like for the new databases. One more thing to mention here the witness server was able to talk with the mirror server while we disconnect the network connection between the principle and the mirror server. So, now we are planning to move the witness server to the other location (Third location) then if we disconnect the network connection between the mirror and principle server in future again the witness server can able to talk with principle server and  the principle databases available for use. Could you give me some suggestions on this change. we are using sql 2005 standard edition with the witness server. Thank you!
    Friday, May 23, 2008 1:55 PM
    Answerer