Error after installing Visual Studio 2013

All replies

• Hi,

Please give more information about your problem!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, November 04, 2013 8:05 AM
  • I have installed Visual studio 2013 on windows 8.1 and created one windows store app using Visual studios 2013 and hit on F5. I am getting below error

Error 1 File 'Windows.props' not found. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?prd=12395&pver=1.0&plcid=0x409&ar=MSDN&sar=PlatformMultiTargeting&o1=&o2=Windows for more information.

please try to help on issue.

Monday, November 04, 2013 3:30 PM
  • Hello KK

Not come across this.

Did you install the RTM version of Visual Studio 2013 or the RC preview?

Does this happen with the Blank Store App template project?

Have you tried initiating a Repair of Visual Studio 2013 via Control Panel-> Programs and Features?

Thanks

Doug

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 10:50 PM
  • Hi Doug,

I am also facing same issue

Error 2 File 'Windows.props' not found. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?prd=12395&pver=1.0&plcid=0x409&ar=MSDN&sar=PlatformMultiTargeting&o1=&o2=Windows for more information.

I tried what you have suggested but the issue still persists.

Thanks,

Pawan Shukla

Pawan Shukla { Blog: http://beingdeveloper.blogspot.in/ }

Thursday, November 21, 2013 12:17 PM
  • I have same problem:

MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v12.0\AppxPackage\Microsoft.AppXPackage.Targets(451,9): error APPX1639: File 'Windows.props' not found

Here are Line 451 in Microsoft.AppXPackage.Targets.

<GetWindowsDesktopSdkDir TargetPlatformIdentifier="$(TargetPlatformIdentifier)"
                                     TargetPlatformVersion="$(TargetPlatformVersion)"
                                     TargetPlatformSdkRootOverride="$(TargetPlatformSdkRootOverride)"
                                     WindowsDesktopSdkDir="$(WindowsDesktopSdkDir)">
                <Output TaskParameter="WindowsDesktopSdkDir" PropertyName="WindowsDesktopSdkDir" />
            </GetWindowsDesktopSdkDir>

Anyone has a solution yet?

Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:15 PM
  • The issue even happens with the Blank Store App template project. It is easy to reproduce the problem.

I use Visual studio professional 2013 Version 12.0.21005.1 Rel.

• Edited by LXING LXING Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:46 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Has anyone been able to resolve this issue yet? I have a sample app downloaded from MSDN and I get the same exact error.
    Tuesday, December 03, 2013 9:49 PM
  • KK - you say you get the error when you retarget. Is it when you retarget a specific project or when you retarget any 8.0 project?

Pawan - in what circumstances do you get the error? For all projects?

LXING - did you try the repair option I suggested and which Pawan tried?

Arun - which sample? Or is it any sample?

Anyone that is blocked by this issue I would recommend you open an assisted support case with us so our support teams can work with you one on one.

Thanks,

Doug

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 4:02 PM
  • I have the same issue.

get this error for all JS templates, haven't tried anything else.

• Edited by Morgan Ray Thursday, December 05, 2013 10:24 AM
    Thursday, December 05, 2013 10:12 AM
  • I have the same issue.

Might be the need for WDDM 1.0+ Graphics. Just saw an update the addresses this. Let you know if the update resolves this issue.
    • Edited by Morgan Ray Thursday, December 05, 2013 10:29 AM
    Thursday, December 05, 2013 10:28 AM
  • I have the same issue.

Might be the need for WDDM 1.0+ Graphics. Just saw an update the addresses this. Let you know if the update resolves this issue.
    Updating did not solve this problem for me.
    Thursday, December 05, 2013 2:30 PM
  • I am getting this error for all Windows store app in Visual Studio 2013

Pawan Shukla { Blog: http://beingdeveloper.blogspot.in/ }

Thursday, December 05, 2013 2:43 PM
  • If you hit this error, check for the existence of a SYSTEM level environment variable called windowsSDKDir and try removing it (make a note of its value first in case you need to re-instate it at some point). For some this appears to have been causing the error.  It is not clear at this stage what creates this.

Thanks

Doug

Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:09 PM
  • Thanks Doug! That solved the problem for me! Was quite the puzzler.
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:58 AM
  • I had encountered a similar issue with this today. It seemed to be a result of using the VS2013 tools to build a VS2012 project.

The only way we could get around this was to ensure that the 2012 projects were actually using the right batch file before we executed msbuild.

Instead of:

call "%VS120COMNTOOLS%..\..\VC\vcvarsall.bat" x86

We now make sure to use:

call "%VS110COMNTOOLS%..\..\VC\vcvarsall.bat" x86

The thing is, some projects in the solution build fine, but others don't. It seems to be a cl command line switch that is throwing this off.

Hope this helps someone. I'll post again if I figure out the culprit.

Terence

Thursday, March 13, 2014 2:55 PM
  • umm.. im a bit of a newbie.. and im getting the same error. Could you guide me on how to try out this solution?
    Tuesday, April 01, 2014 6:48 PM
  • Hi Lorain

Did you check for the system evironment variable I mention above?

Press Windows Key + X and select System.

In the System dialog click on "Advanced system settings" then click "Environment Variables" on the advanced tab.

Then look for the environment variable I mentioned:

"If you hit this error, check for the existence of a SYSTEM level environment variable called windowsSDKDir and try removing it"

Regards

Doug

Monday, April 14, 2014 9:43 AM
  • Problem solved after installing "Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) for Windows 8.1"

download from here

Regards,

imthi

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:53 AM
  • Hey @Doug Stewart , i checked for that env variable... but i didnt have it... and the problem still exists!! any other ways to solve the issue?
    Sunday, May 04, 2014 5:37 PM
  • @ imthi, I installed it, but i am still getting the error. Is your laptop windows 8.1 Pro or the regular version??

Regards

Lorain

Sunday, May 04, 2014 5:57 PM
  • Hi Lorain

I believe the reason the removal of the environment variable helped in that other case was because the wrong version of MSBUILD.EXE was getting launched. If you wanted to troubleshoot you could use a tool like Process Monitor during the compile to see which version of MSBUILD was running and where from.

If you want a more sledgehammer approach, some have reporting the issue being fixed by reinstall of Visual Studio 2013.

If you need 1:1 assistance you can also raise an assisted support case with our Visual Studio support team.

Regards

Doug

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 10:47 AM
  • I have also come across with the same problem. I uninstalled Visual Studio Express 2013 with Update 2 RC, and then re-installed it. But no change here. It's displaying the same error.

Thanks,

Kvaibhav01

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 1:53 PM
  • It's running from C:\Program Files\MSBuild\12.0\Bin

Please help,

Kvaibhav01

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 2:04 PM
  • If anyone is has Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 RC and is hitting this error, please see this article which mentions the error and recommends using the "Repair" option of Visual Studio as a remedy:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2927432

Thanks

Doug

Thursday, May 08, 2014 12:25 PM
  • I visited the page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2927432 which informs about the improvements done with Update 2 RC, but when I really wanted to repair it, I couldn't see Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Express for Windows with Update 2 RC as one of the programs installed in my PC via Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features

Now how can I repair it? Is there some other way?

Please help while giving me it's cause.

Thanks,

Kvaibhav01

Friday, May 09, 2014 10:33 AM
  • Hi Kvaibhav01

If you have a version of Visual Studio installed there should certainly be an entry for it in "Programs and Features".

If the entries are sorted alphabetically it should appear under "Microsoft Visual...".

You can use the "Search" box near the top right to search for "Visual" or "2013" to narrow the list.

Once you have found it, click "Change". You should then get a dialogue on which there are buttons for "Modify", "Repair" and "Uninstall".

Hope that helps

Doug

Friday, May 09, 2014 11:09 AM
  • When I searched for "Visual" it lists:

1. Entity Framework Tools for Visual Studio 2013

2. Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable  (x86) 9.0.30729.4974

3. Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable  (x86) 9.0.30729.6161

4. Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable  (x86) 10.0.40219

5. Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable  (x86) 11.0.60610

And when for "2013":

1. Entity Framework Tools for Visual Studio 2013

I can't see it. Is there an alternative to it? 

Wait a minute...Just now I opened the VS Express 2013 for Windows from the desktop and after choosing JavaScript as my language to develop, it loads for some time and then freezes. When I opened the Task Manager it says 'Not Responding'..

What to do?

Thanks

Kvaibhav01

• Edited by Kvaibhav01 Saturday, May 10, 2014 7:11 AM
    Saturday, May 10, 2014 7:09 AM
  • I'm fed up with this Update 2 RC. I've uninstalled the product and then installed Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows: http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads#d-express-windows-8

Now no errors at all...

In Update 2 RC when I hitted F5 I got error of 'Deployment failed' but Build was successful.

Please provide any further help on how to fix the issue.

Thanks

Kvaibhav01 

Sunday, May 11, 2014 7:26 AM
  • Hello,

There was at least one isse in the RC that could casue this error.

The RTM build of Update 2 was released today.

Please install that:

http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/2014-may-12-vs

Regards

Doug

Monday, May 12, 2014 10:17 PM
  • Nothing happened -same error again.

But when the setup had downloaded the Update 2 (the second one) the progress bar of 'Applying' didn't move forwards. In other words it's not installing.

I've checked on the Task Manager but it's seems to be non-responsive.

Please help

Kvaibhav01

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:53 AM
  • Hello Kvaibhav01

Unfortunately there can be a lot of different causes of product install issues like this. I would recommend, at this point, that you connect 1:1 with our support teams: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support&SegNo=1#livehelp_contact

Regards

Doug

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 12:39 PM
  • I installed Visual Studio with Update 2 but it shows the same error. As I've said above:

...when the setup had downloaded the Update 2 (the second one) the progress bar of 'Applying' didn't move forwards. In other words it's not installing.

I've checked on the Task Manager but it's seems to be non-responsive...

Now I'm uninstalling it. There again it's not uninstalling! It gives the error:

Setup engine

Element not found.

Setup failed

Install can't continue because some required components failed.

With a log file and a link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2899270

Log file:

[0F20:0530][2014-05-15T00:02:51]i001: Burn v3.7.2002.0, Windows v6.3 (Build 9600: Service Pack 0), path: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{78095723-ced1-49b3-b0ac-8598452ef0ec}\winexpress_full.exe, cmdline: '/modify'....................

Now what to do?

I will install the non-update version..

Please help

Kvaibhav01

Thursday, May 15, 2014 7:25 AM
  • Done! Solved!

I just reinstalled Visual Studio with Update 2 but it did gave me an error in the setup that 'Package failed'.

I thought after a reboot the setup will run again as described here:  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2014/04/17/error-in-installation-log-for-visual-studio-2013-update-2-rc-can-be-misleading.aspx

But the setup didn't opened up again. Then I opened Visual Studio and Voila! no errors at all.....

I'm happy now and much satisfied...

Hope it helps

Kvaibhav01

Saturday, May 17, 2014 9:03 AM
  • Got the same error after reinstall of Visual Studio 2013. Then installed Windows SDK and REPAIRED IT after  installing and probem is gone! Installing alone didn't helped.
    Monday, November 17, 2014 10:53 PM
  • Was getting same error on Win 8.1, when attempting to Cordova build/run in Windows.  Installing VS2013 Update 4 fixed it for me.  (although, be warned, it took over 2 hours to install the update, and then I had to edit all of my project files and remove any "SDKReference" tags in them, otherwise the new VS2013 would just lock up as soon as it started loading a project)

Sunday, December 14, 2014 9:28 PM