none
Who can I ask for help and how? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application in Microsoft Access that I have been using for years and has survived several versions of the software. It was working fine two months ago.

Basically, it is a monthly report of income and expenses which I send once a month to my tax adviser. I don't know how to build a database in Access. I got it readymade and it has worked for me until now.

Now, means that when I click on the Switchboard icon it takes some time to react, then it stops at the first item of Switchboard and opens a small error window reading: "The expression OnClick you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: the expression you entered has a function name that Microsoft Access can't find."

What and where shall I look for the answer?

Help will be much appreciated

Inacio

Sunday, November 12, 2017 12:43 PM

All replies

1. Look at the application file extension. Is it .accdb, .accde or .accdr?
    2. What version of ACCESS was it when originally developed?
    3. You say it has "survived" several versions. What do you mean by that? What version of ACCESS is it running under now?
    4. What version of Microsoft Office are you using now?
    5. How do you open the file now?
    6. If the file extension is .accdb or .mdb and you select the file and then hit Shift+Enter to open it, will it open? Do you get the error message when you open it this way?
    7. Have you recently upgraded to a new version of ACCESS or Microsoft Office? If so, which versions?
    8. Do you have more than one user or are you the only one?

Answering these questions will give us some basic insight and a place to start. Let me give you a warning though. If the file extension is .accdb or .mdb and you cannot open the file and check for certain technical things or you have no experience with ACCESS except as a user, you may end up going back to the developer or hiring someone who can be on-sight to assist you. But let's get these questions answered first and go from there.

Sunday, November 12, 2017 5:01 PM
  • Before doing anything, make sure to make a backup copy of your database file(s) and keep them safe.

Lawrence is right that we need more information.  We'll need know

• What OS are you running and bitness?
    • What version of Office/Access are you running and bitness?
    • What changed within the past 2 months?

Have you tried compacting the database?
    Have you tried repairing your Office/Access installation?

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2017 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Sunday, November 12, 2017 6:22 PM
  • If this is an accdb or mdb, search online for "Access decompile" and perform those steps.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Sunday, November 12, 2017 10:31 PM