COM debugging: 8007007e, dependency graphs RRS feed

• Question

• "Retrieving the COM class factory for component with ....failed due to the following error: 8007007e"

I'm accessing a custom COM component from .NET, and receiving a FileNotFoundException when the COM object is being instantiated.  I can see from the CLSID requested, and a search of the registry, that the COM object does appear to be registered.

I'm wondering if this error is being caused by a dependency of this object?  The only thing I can think of next is to use procmon to see what the system is looking for.  I'm wondering if there's a better tool to view the dependency graph?  I do have visual studio 10 installed.

thanks,

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:03 PM

Answers

• On 4/18/2012 3:03 PM, Satish532 wrote:

"Retrieving the COM class factory for component with ....failed due to the following error: 8007007e"

I'm accessing a custom COM component from .NET, and receiving a FileNotFoundException when the COM object is being instantiated.  I can see from the CLSID requested, and a search of the registry, that the COM object does appear to be registered.

The registry contains a path to the component's DLL or EXE. Does the DLL or EXE actually exist at that path?

I'm wondering if this error is being caused by a dependency of this object?  The only thing I can think of next is to use procmon to see what the system is looking for.  I'm wondering if there's a better tool to view the dependency graph?

www.dependencywalker.com

Igor Tandetnik

• Proposed as answer by Helen Zhao Friday, April 20, 2012 2:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Helen Zhao Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:11 AM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:04 PM

All replies

• On 4/18/2012 3:03 PM, Satish532 wrote:

"Retrieving the COM class factory for component with ....failed due to the following error: 8007007e"

I'm accessing a custom COM component from .NET, and receiving a FileNotFoundException when the COM object is being instantiated.  I can see from the CLSID requested, and a search of the registry, that the COM object does appear to be registered.

The registry contains a path to the component's DLL or EXE. Does the DLL or EXE actually exist at that path?

I'm wondering if this error is being caused by a dependency of this object?  The only thing I can think of next is to use procmon to see what the system is looking for.  I'm wondering if there's a better tool to view the dependency graph?

www.dependencywalker.com

Igor Tandetnik

• Proposed as answer by Helen Zhao Friday, April 20, 2012 2:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Helen Zhao Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:11 AM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:04 PM
  • Thanks Igor.  I didn't realize that dependency walker had a profiler mode for viewing COM dependencies.  I'm going to try that out.  
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:24 PM