none
Project Server 2010/ estimate to completion/ clear custom task field in timesheet RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Forum,

in our Project Server 2010-system we would like to complement the timesheet information from the team-members with an estimate-to-completion: team-member send their timesheet weekly. In an enterprise custom task column of type text, which is shown in the timesheet view, the team-member can enter an estimate-to-completion. Upon sending the update and confirmation of the update the project manager opens the Project Client. On the Project Professional-client side the information on the estimate-to-completion is shown in a task-usage view. Here the project manager can compare the estimate-to-completion column for each assignment with the remaining work-column and adjust the latter one. After this the project manager uses a customized publishing-function which clears the estimate-to-completion column. Then the team-member creates the timesheet for the next period and the estimate-to-completion value is blank.

So far the ideal. Consider the following scenario:

team-member fills out estimate-to-completion/ timesheet and sends it to the project manager, before the project manager clears the estimate-to-completion field and publishes the project anew, the team-member creates the timesheet for the following/another period and gets the estimate-to-completion value of the preceding timesheet.

In that scenario, if the estimate-to-completion feature is not used consequently, i.e. team member consciously adapt the estimate-to-completion each time they send a timesheet, the information estimate-to-completion cannot be used without doubt.

Do you see a technical way to delete the value in the enterprise custom task field in every timesheet?

Thank you for your expertise and best regards

Phil

• Edited by Phil Bertram Wednesday, December 14, 2011 5:51 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 5:47 PM

Answers

• Phil,

there are a couple of things to notice about task custom fields and timesheets. Firstly I have observed that currently the value of a task custom field is not always visible in the timesheet - so called 'late tasks' have this issue. The value will become present after the first save. Secondly be aware that the value shown in the timesheet is the value as present at the moment the timesheet is been created. In your scenario the order in which timesheets are created, filled (including the custom information), and a next timesheet is created is of importance.

Jan

Jan Cirpka
    • Marked as answer by Phil Bertram Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:24 AM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:07 AM

All replies

• A macro would do the trick pre-publish - but that's assuming you have the
    data already updated in Project.

I did something very similar in a construction scenario.  In that case though,
    we used an Estimated Finish Date, then backed into the Remaining Duration
    calculation.  There, it wasn't an issue to have the Estimated Finish retained
    the next go-around.

Throwing that out in case that gives you another way to focus on the problem.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

i'm not sure if i understand your post right.

We are using a macro which sets the estimate-to-completion field for every assignmnet to "". This macro is triggered by a custom button that is called "My Enterprise"-Publish. So clicking this button deletes the old estimate to completion and publishes the project. The problem now is, that the old estimate to completion value remains in those timesheets that have been created before that publishing cycle. Do you see another macro-option for to make sure that this doesn't occur?

Concerning an estimated finish date i see that there is no problem when the old date still is shown. However, estimate to completion in our scenario shall be used to adapt the remaining work -> so if this value is not accurately maintained, there is a risk of erroneously augmenting the remaining work.

Best regards

Phil

• Edited by Phil Bertram Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:09 AM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:50 AM
  • Phil,

there are a couple of things to notice about task custom fields and timesheets. Firstly I have observed that currently the value of a task custom field is not always visible in the timesheet - so called 'late tasks' have this issue. The value will become present after the first save. Secondly be aware that the value shown in the timesheet is the value as present at the moment the timesheet is been created. In your scenario the order in which timesheets are created, filled (including the custom information), and a next timesheet is created is of importance.

Jan

Jan Cirpka
    • Marked as answer by Phil Bertram Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:24 AM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:07 AM
  • Hi Jan,

that's definitely what i'm observing: the timesheet shows the information that is available/ valid at the moment of its creation. This described problem occurs in a scenario where timesheet are created in a high-frequent cycle (weekly).

So it seems like the only way to make sure that the timesheet shows but the currently valid information, is to implement a timesheet process where timesheets are created anew after the project plan has been published.

Best Regards

Phil

Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:08 AM