none
There is already an open DataReader associated with this Command which must be closed first. RRS feed

• Question

• I have the same issue. I get an

Code Snippet

System.InvalidOperationException: There is already an open DataReader associated with this Command which must be closed first.

exception and I understand why it happens. My code looks something like that.
    First I read some data in.

Code Snippet

SqlCommand command =
    new SqlCommand(sbSelect.ToString(), transaction.Connection, transaction);

SqlDataReader objDR;
    objDR = command.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnection);

//...do some reading from objDR...

objDR.Close();

The Close() method now sets the Connection property of my transaction object to null which makes the transaction unusable. Calling

Code Snippet

SqlCommand command =
    new SqlCommand(sbUpdate.ToString(), transaction.Connection, transaction);

int rowsAffected = command.ExecuteNonQuery(); //Exception is thrown here

doesn't work now because I don't have a connection anymore.
    It must be possible to use the same connection for reading and writing without using SQL2005 and the 'MultipleActiveResultSets=True'.

In the meantime I simply use two connections. The weird thing is though that the Close() Method of the DataReader doesn't destroy the connection object now. Only when I use it together with a transaction.

Is there a reason for that?

Cheers,
    Tobi

Friday, August 29, 2008 12:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You just need to enable Multiple Active Result Sets (MARS), just add 'MultipleActiveResultSets=True' into your connection string.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:13 AM
  • Why do you have CommandBehavior.CloseConnection if you want to reuse your connection?

You also have to either commit or rollback your transaction before you close a connection.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:23 AM