.NET versus JDEVELOPER RRS feed

• Question

• I am working with a client who will be upgrading an existing Oracle Forms 6i application.  They are currently leaning towards a redesign using Jdeveloper.  However,  I am trying to convince them of a .NET solution.  Does anybody have a comparison or something compelling to compare the advantages of .NET over JDeveloper?
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think you are looking for pros and cons betwee .Net and J2EE. This is an evenly fought battle and depends on the many factores. Here are few that i have tried to compare 

#

Parameters

.NET Solution

J2EE Solution

Remarks

Performance

˜

˜

Both .NET solution and J2EE solution provide equally good performance throughout all the application layers

Security

˜

˜

Various authentication and authorization mechanisms are provided by both the solutions.

Quality of Services

˜

˜

Both the platforms provide features which makes the solution more reliable and scalable

Infrastructure Services

˜

˜

Microsoft .NET provides application building blocks for the infrastructure services which aids in rapid development.  J2EE application server and open source APIs provide features for building the Infrastructure services.

Standards based integration

˜

º

While both platforms offer standards based Web services implementations, Microsoft leads in WS-* based implementations.

Total cost of ownership

˜

º

Overall cost of .NET solution is relatively less than the overall cost of J2EE based solutions

Licensing cost for .NET framework is low compared to any other licensing cost of J2EE application servers

Developer productivity

˜

º

Integrated single development tools from Microsoft (Visual Studio) aids in shorter time to market for .NET solutions as well as less developer training  compared to J2EE solution.

Availability of skilled developers

º

˜

J2EE talent pool is relatively easier to get but diluted by product group (WebSphere, Weblogic, etc).  .Net talent pool is not as high as J2EE, but it is getting better.

Cross platform capabilities

O

˜

Java is a cross platform implementation while .NET is a Windows only implementation though an open source offering called “Mono” is available for Linux

Regards
    Azhar

Mark as answer if this helps
    Thanks and Regards Azhar Amir
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:04 AM
  • Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:05 AM
  • Hi
    We discussed this on this thread...
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/architecturegeneral/thread/29134751-1ca7-4a78-aa98-dcac7e036801

you may find it useful.
    Thanks
    Suds

Thank you! It seems good.
    Monday, February 21, 2011 12:45 AM