none
Cannot configure Microsoft Word in Configuration Services RRS feed

• Question

• I was looking at this solution to fix a bug I have;

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxbcl/thread/006cbbac-101a-40ea-ae16-d59a7a2da8b1

So in my C# application I use Word Interop and it works in development.

Initially it didn't work when released to the test server. Then we installed Micorosoft Word on this server and I got a new bug;

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {000209FF-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} failed due to the following error: 80070005 Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)).

So I had a look in DCOM Config in Component Services. To attempt the above solution I looked for Micorsoft Word, but I could not find it. Might it be that word should have been installed differently, maybe as part of Office rather then by itself? Or is there another issue that stops this from working?

• Moved by CoolDadTx Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:43 PM Office related
    • Edited by arame3333 Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:44 AM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Arame3333,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

The exception of yours is quite like this one. I've quoted the reply into below section.

>>its working fine in development machine but after publsihed on server it is not working

After reading your post, I knew that you want to use server-side automation of Office. As far as I know, Microsoft does not recommend and support automation of Office on the server side. For more details, please refer to this kb article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257757

Microsoft does not currently recommend, and does not support, Automation of Microsoft Office applications from any unattended, non-interactive client application or component (including ASP, ASP.NET, DCOM, and NT Services), because Office may exhibit unstable behavior and/or deadlock when Office is run in this environment.

This article also describes the alternative technologies: Open Xml, word automation service.

Hope you can figure out about this and thank you for your understanding.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Arame3333,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

The exception of yours is quite like this one. I've quoted the reply into below section.

>>its working fine in development machine but after publsihed on server it is not working

After reading your post, I knew that you want to use server-side automation of Office. As far as I know, Microsoft does not recommend and support automation of Office on the server side. For more details, please refer to this kb article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257757

Microsoft does not currently recommend, and does not support, Automation of Microsoft Office applications from any unattended, non-interactive client application or component (including ASP, ASP.NET, DCOM, and NT Services), because Office may exhibit unstable behavior and/or deadlock when Office is run in this environment.

This article also describes the alternative technologies: Open Xml, word automation service.

Hope you can figure out about this and thank you for your understanding.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:45 AM
  • Thank you for that.

I am now using OpenXML, but one thing it does not do is print word documents, whereas Word Interop does. So either I fix this bug or I have to find some other way of printing my word document. We do not have Aspose and to buy it simply to in order to have the print functionality is not worth it given the cost. I cannot find any other option.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:58 AM