How to make SQL query in partial match (or leading match)? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1651604128 posted

Hi,

I have a SQL query as this:

(Select code1, code2, code3,,, from tabl1 where code1 = @CODE1 and code2=@CODE2 and code3=CODE3..

The code1 and code2 are only one letter, so it is exactly match, but the code3 has more than one characters, so I need to split it and do the partial match like this: code3_1 (the first character) = CODE3_1(the first character), code3_2(the second character) = CODE3_2(the second character), etc.

For example:

code1 = "A", code2 = "B" , code3 = "EDF"

so if

CODE1 = "A", CODE2="B", CODE3="E" , my query should get the result since the code3 is partial match,

CODE1 = "A", CODE2="B", CODE3="EE" , my query should Not get the result since code3 is Not partial match,

CODE1 = "A", CODE2="B", CODE3="ED" , my query should get the result since the code3 is partial match,

CODE1 = "A", CODE2="B", CODE3="EDF" , my query should get the result since the code3 is fully match,

CODE1 = "A", CODE2="B", CODE3="D" , my query should Not get the result since the code3 is not leading by D,

I tried use "like", but it is not what I want wanted. thanks for any input

Thursday, August 6, 2020 5:04 PM

Answers

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

Maybe you tried just with WHERE ... AND Code3 LIKE @Code3 -- This is the same than Code3=@Code3

What if you try with WHERE ... AND Code3 LIKE '%'+@Code3+'%'

For now it seems all the sample you gave should work with LIKE. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 6, 2020 5:14 PM

All replies

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

Maybe you tried just with WHERE ... AND Code3 LIKE @Code3 -- This is the same than Code3=@Code3

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 6, 2020 5:14 PM
  • User-1651604128 posted

Hi,

Hi PatriceSc, thank you so much for your quick help, your codes work well, it is exactly what I wanted.

I tried "@Code3%" with error, now I know it should be  '%'+@Code3+'%' as your code.

much appreciated,

Thursday, August 6, 2020 5:28 PM
  • User753101303 posted

Yes, SQL Server doesn't work by replacing @Code3 wherever it is but like C# it uses the current context to see if this is a variable name or a string literal.

As this is a within a string what you wrote would match if the string value itself starts with @Code3 rather than with the value stored in the @Code3 variable.

Thursday, August 6, 2020 5:38 PM