none
Transitioning from Standard 7 to Win 10 LTSB RRS feed

• Question

• I have an app that needs to run unattended for months on end without restarting and I've been using Std 7 with write filters. However, I'm transitioning to Win 10 Enterprise LTSB using UWF and I find that the overlay memory is being consumed at a high rate.  I have build 1607 with Windows Updates disabled via gpedit, but I still have many writes to the overlay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if this is the wrong forum, I would appreciate being directed to the appropriate one.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 3:47 PM

Answers

• UWF has a quirk where any write to the disk, protected or write-through, are sent to the overlay. The work around is to have a second partition that is not protected by UWF to write files too.

I know this is not ideal, and Microsoft is aware of this. No fix appears to be on the horizon. This appears to be an architecture issue by going protecting by sectors rather than by files.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, July 13, 2017 7:11 PM