Refreshing: PowerPivot Table breaks (looses Data values) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All,

I'm happy that I found this forum! PowerPivot(PP) is a tremendous help in my work life and I'm looking forward to learn more about it!

Here's my first problem:

I built an excel file with a PowerPivot data source of 3 linked tables (Sales Targets, Item Categories, Comments) and the main external data source (Excel File, which is an export of Business Objects, containing actual sales on item level).

For reporting I have around 10 Pivot Tables in this Excel Workbook. The very first one is the summary and shows Actuals vs. Targets incl. a delta(DAX).

I show the Actuals by Order Status and to avoid having the Targets and the Delta shown with every Order Status I built a Set and deleted those.

Everything works fine at this moment, incl. filtering with Slicers.

Every morning the external data source is refreshed, to refresh my report I start refreshing the PowerPivot data of the external data source by opening the PP window and clicking refresh. The PP data table refreshes successfully.

However, when I now go back to the Summary Pivot Table and click refresh, the OLAP query starts running and after a few seconds I get the notification: "Initialization of the data source failed" I click "ok" and get the same a couple of more times. I always say "ok".

After the OLAP query is through the Pivot Table breaks and I don't see any data but the sales target (linked table) all other columns are gone.

Removing the set and inserting it again doesn't help either. Only building the whole table from scratch works.

Has anyone an idea what I'm doing wrong or what's the reason for this?

Thanks a lot,

Chris

Thursday, August 12, 2010 12:52 PM

All replies