none
Extract streams from .xef file (recorded with Kinect for Windows v2) RRS feed

• Question

• Hallo,

I am looking for a way to extract some streams from a recorded .xef file. I want to do this without using Kinect Studio v2.0. I am programming in Visual C#. 

Do you have any ideas how to do this?

Regards, B

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:30 PM

All replies

• You can use custom code, or you can use KSUtil.exe found in your tools directory of Kinect SDK:

Sr. Enterprise Architect | Trainer | Consultant | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer |blog: http://dgoins.wordpress.com

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:05 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. 

I am not quite sure how to use KSUtil.exe for my problem. I want to open the .xef file with my WPF application and extract some streams. Furthermore I was not able to use -play <filePath> without receiving an error message. Can you tell me more about the custom code option you mentioned?

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 7:45 PM
  • What are you trying to do? Depending on the scenario, you may have to "record" to your own binary format.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 7:55 PM
  • My plan is to write a program in C# that opens a .xef file (recorded with the Kinect) and to extract some streams from the file (e.g. IR, Depth,..). 

Thanks for your help. 

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 8:18 PM
  • Extracting frames from playback would just be a matter of writing a Kinect application. What is the intended outcome of what you want to do with the end file? Is that supposed to be another .xef?

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 8:36 PM
  • I want to track facial features with optical flow, I tried it with a normal HD camera, but the results were not so good. Now I want to test if the combination of RGB and depth information gets better results. I have not really though about the end file and if it should be another .xef. 

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 8:48 PM
  • You will not be able to create a .xef file since that is not a spec we publish. Kinect does provide face tracking api's. We use IR, Depth, Body and Color. Unless you are very good with implementing your own lossless compression file format, you may just want to use the tool or if you need more control on the recording, there is a KStudio API that we provide only with the SDK installed.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, November 20, 2014 5:53 PM