Preview Release: Xamarin Studio 6.0 with Roslyn Support RRS feed

• Question

• User37 posted

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this release onto the latest announcement:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/68358/stable-release-cycle-7-feature-release/p1

This preview release of Xamarin Studio introduces a new type system based on Roslyn and other important changes such as a revamped project model, a new visual style, and better support for F#. We want to show those features in an early preview since they significantly change the way Xamarin Studio works.

Download

Xamarin Studio 6.0.0.3668 - Preview 4

This post will be updated when a new preview release is made. There is a release notes page with more detailed information about Xamarin Studio 6.0.

NOTE: Items marked with the tag [UPDATE] are changes done since the last preview release.

What is new?

Roslyn integration

Xamarin Studio's type system is now based on Roslyn, Microsoft's open source .NET compiler platform. Even though this is an internal change, it has several practical benefits:

• The behavior of code completion is more accurate and will work much better when a file contains syntax or semantic errors.
    • Refactoring operations cover more cases and are more reliable.
    • C# 6.0 is now fully supported for code completion and refactoring operations.
    • The formatting engine got replaced and it now defaults to the Visual Studio format. Indenting with spaces is easier and feels like tab based indenting.
    • Typing flow got improved and is now more fluid.
    • Code completion import symbol support greatly improved - will no longer interfere with the typing flow and it doesn't have a performance impact.
    • [UPDATED] C# 6 support on Windows.
    • [UPDATED] The new formatting engine is now compatible with Visual Studio, but does not support custom formatting schemes from prior versions of Xamarin Studio because of the changed engine & option model.

More details

New Project Model

The new model has a deeper integration with MSBuild, and can can handle projects that take advantage of advanced MSBuild features. Here are some features that are now supported:

• Conditional file and reference inclusion are now properly handled.
    • Project files can import other projects, and properties will be properly loaded.
    • Project files are evaluated before loading, so properties can be used in item definitions, and will be properly replaced.
    • The extension model has changed, and will make it easier to implement add-ins that need to directly manipulate MSBuild files.
    • Projects are build in parallel when possible. This should speed up the build time of solutions with many projects.
    • Xamarin Studio is now much better at handling projects generated in Visual Studio, and will not make unnecessary changes to the project files when saving.
    • [UPDATED] Added support for different architectures of Mono so user can pick 32bit or 64bit version to start debugging.
    • [UPDATED] Support for MSBuild tools v14.

More details

[UPDATED] New visual style and Dark theme

In this release we are presenting the new look of Xamarin Studio. It has a more modern style, a dark variant and many visual tweaks to make Xamarin Studio more pleasant to use. Here are the highlights:

• 5727 new icons! (including light, dark and selection variants),
    • new Windows toolbar and improved menu appearance,
    • new dark IDE theme,
    • fine-tuned light IDE theme,
    • appearance fixes to Code Completion and Code Hint popovers,
    • fixes in New Project Dialog and Welcome page,
    • the drop down button in the solution pad is gone – the context menu can be used instead.

More details

F# Enhancements

We have been busy improving our F# support, and we are happy to report that we are addressing many limitations in our F# support, in this release:

• Document outline pad now available for F# files.
    • Completion lists are now topologically sorted.
    • Support for F#4.
    • Syntax highlighting is now available on Keywords.
    • F# PCL template now included.
    • Code navigation improvements: Goto base type, Find Overloads, and Find derived Types.
    • Tooltip improvements, all right hand side -> now align.
    • F# compiler parsing improvements to speed up editing.
    • Added type constraints on generic type tooltips, F# type constraints are now shown in tooltips.
    • Global F# symbol search, you can now search for F# symbols from the search bar at the rop right.
    • Fake integration (preview). You can access fake build scripts by typing "FAKE" into the search bar, any FAKE tasks will be displayed in the results and can be executed.
    • Syntax highlighting in F# interactive.
    • [UPDATED] Support for Portable Class Libraries.
    • [UPDATED] Support for Shared Projects.
    • [UPDATED] Xamarin.Forms templates.
    • [UPDATED] Highlighting improvements for mutable variables.
    • [UPDATED] Code navigation improvements: Goto base type, Find Overloads, and Find derived types.
    • [UPDATED] Support for F#4

More details

[UPDATED] 64bit build on Mac

This release of Xamarin Studio for Mac is a 64bit application, so you’ll be able to take advantage of all the memory of your system when working with large solutions.

[UPDATED] NuGet

• Improved support for pre-release NuGet packages
    • Support for watchOS and tvOS

More details

[UPDATED] Android

• New Google Play Services package selector.
    • Several fixes and improvements in Android projects
    • Designer
      • Better error recovery with invalid XML.
      • Improved user themes handling.
      • Improved toolbox performance.

More details

[UPDATED] iOS

• Support for On-Demand Resources
    • Improved Assets Editor
    • New HttpClient stack selector
    • New SSL/TLS implementation build option
    • iOS designer improvements

More details

[UPDATED] watchOS 2 and tvOS

This release introduces support for watchOS 2 and tvOS when combined with a preview of Xamarin.iOS that supports it. We have added new project types, templates and file templates to support those frameworks as well as a wizard to guide you through the setup.

More details

[UPDATED] Mac: Binding Project support

Available for previews of Xamarin.Mac with binding support. This feature has been available on iOS projects for a long time, and we have finally brought it to the Mac.

[UPDATED] ASP.NET

ASP.NET support has been greatly improved. There is a new project wizard for creating Web Forms and MVC projects and all templates have been reviewed and updated.

More details

[UPDATED] Text Editor

• Navigational link support
    • Regular expression support improvements

More details

Even more improvements and fixes!

Please check the release notes page to know more about what's new in Xamarin Studio 6.0.

Bug reports wanted!

File a bug against Xamarin Studio

Please file a bug for any new issue you find in this preview that you would like the Xamarin team to investigate. If you have any comment or suggestion you can also post to this thread. This preview is a chance to help ensure that the final release of Xamarin Studio with Roslyn will work smoothly with your specific projects and environment.

Going back to stable

After installing the preview, you'll get an update notification for the stable channel (or whatever channel you are following). You can at any time install that update to go back to the stable release.

Compatibility notes

• [iOS] This release requires Xcode 7 or higher.
    • Support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks has been deprecated, this release requires OS X 10.10 Yosemite.
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 5:49 PM

All replies

• User53070 posted

Fake integration \o/

Now would be the perfect time to fix this issue : https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=30571

Monday, October 12, 2015 5:04 PM
  • User4553 posted

In case you are having issues with shared projects and the editor analysis engine (namespaces and classes underlined as not found), removing and adding a reference to the shared project fixed it for me.

Monday, October 12, 2015 8:51 PM
  • User13274 posted

How does this influence the add-ins you can build for Xamarin Studio? Will there be a new model in XS6?

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 5:24 PM
  • User37 posted

@Stefan_CaveBirdLabs There are some changes in the add-in model. I'll push documentation about the changes soon.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 5:57 PM
  • User13274 posted

Thanks. I tried to find the Addin Maker in 6.0 but the repositories are showing no entries at all. I was following https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/gettingstarted/extendingxamarinstudiowith_addins/ But when I navigate to gallery all repositories are empty.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 9:35 PM
  • User28 posted

@Stefan_CaveBirdLabs the build server doesn't yet support 6.0 but you can build addin maker from source: https://github.com/mhutch/MonoDevelop.AddinMaker/tree/roslyn

Monday, October 19, 2015 3:53 PM
  • User50971 posted

Is it possible to have this release and the stable one installed at the same time?

Thursday, October 22, 2015 8:03 AM
  • User65168 posted

@Nuninz very good question. I also have the same question.

Anybody has any idea or workaround? :)

thanks in advance

Thursday, October 22, 2015 7:15 PM
  • User37 posted

@Nuninz you can on Mac, but not on Windows. On Mac, open the dmg and just copy the app to any folder other than Applications, and run it from there.

Friday, October 23, 2015 7:05 PM
  • User144831 posted

Guys, the "Quick Fix" feature gone missing, I can't live without it.

Saturday, October 24, 2015 5:28 AM
  • User50971 posted

thank you @LluisSanchez , will do!

Monday, October 26, 2015 8:51 AM
  • User37 posted

Hi!

The preview 3 of Xamarin Studio 6.0 with Roslyn Support has been published, with many bug fixes. Links to new builds are available in the first post of this thread. Please update!

Thursday, November 5, 2015 8:50 AM
  • User1875 posted

@LluisSanchez, How does Xamarin Studio 6.0.0.1752 play with the Cycle 6 RC1 stuff currently on the Alpha Channel? Can we use this one instead of Xamarin Studio 5.10?

P.S. Thanks for the great job with the Roslyn integration, XS is much more usable now.

Thursday, November 5, 2015 10:10 AM
  • User37 posted

@FabioG Xamarin Studio 6.0 contains all features in 5.10, so yes, you can use it instead of 5.10.

Thursday, November 5, 2015 10:44 AM
  • User31385 posted

Does this install alongside or on top of an existing Xamarin Studio installation?

Monday, November 9, 2015 10:25 PM
  • User1909 posted

I just found out that we need Mono 4.2.1 to run Roslyn. Does this mean we should switch to the Alpha channel to install that suite before installing this? If so, how do we maintain a stable release (XS 5.x + Mono 4.0.5) whilst playing with the new stuff?

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 7:32 AM
  • User37 posted

@DavidDancy you can on Mac, but not on Windows. On Mac, open the dmg and just copy the app to any folder other than Applications, and run it from there

Thursday, November 12, 2015 2:27 PM
  • User37 posted

@joehanna I added a link to Mono 4.2.1 in the post, which is what is available in the alpha channel. You can install that instead of switching to the alpha channel. XS 5.x should work just fine with Mono 4.2.1.

Thursday, November 12, 2015 2:28 PM
  • User1909 posted

Thanks @LluisSanchez. Mono 4.2.1 has recently moved into the beta channel.

Friday, November 13, 2015 10:15 PM
  • User144831 posted

Hi, issues I have with the new build:

• None of the refactoring menu is available, including quick fixes.
    • Cannot go back to stable release, it says "xamarin updates must be launched from xamarin"

I am reinstalling xamarin from the installer. Choose not to install Xamarin.Android, but it still downloading android SDK (!?)

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 8:17 AM
  • User174757 posted

I just installed this preview version, and mono 4.2.1, and opened one of my simple projects. Upon compiling it complains about EVERY one of my C# 6.0 statements, such as

\InventoryHelpers.cs(20,20): Error CS1056: Unexpected character '$' (CS1056) (InventoryUpdaterLibrary) InventoryHelpers.cs(7,7): Error CS1041: Identifier expected; 'static' is a keyword (CS1041) (InventoryUpdaterLibrary)

Those are the only errors I get. According to the mono docs the c# 6.0 stuff is supposed to work in version 4, what am I missing?

Thursday, November 19, 2015 6:10 PM
  • User37 posted

@JoshuaAustill Are you running on Windows or Mac?

Friday, November 20, 2015 6:05 PM
  • User37 posted

@NamDuong.0933 In this preview you have to enable Source Analysis in the preferences (Text Editor -> Source Analysis panel). This will be fixed in the next preview. After enabling that option, the refactoring menu will be available.

Friday, November 20, 2015 6:06 PM
  • User174757 posted

@LluisSanchez said: @JoshuaAustill Are you running on Windows or Mac?

I'm running windows 7 and 10 on different machines. Same behavior on both. Also, I installed this release, and it auto updated itself back to 5.10 lol. Not the end of the world, I know now to pay better attention to what it's saying it will update :)

Also, I'm running Visual Studio 2015 with LinqPad and ReSharper installed. Don't know if either of those would cause issues or not.

Friday, November 20, 2015 6:08 PM
  • User174757 posted

@LluisSanchez said: @JoshuaAustill Are you running on Windows or Mac?

I reinstalled everything, and started digging through the options. If I set the target framework to mono .NET 4.5 under each project, it compiles fine. If I leave it set to .NET 4.5.2, it does not. I'm a complete mono noob, so this may be the expected behavior for all I know? Either way, I'm having fun figuring it out, thanks!

Friday, November 20, 2015 8:17 PM
  • User144831 posted

@Lluis Sanchez Thanks Lluis, it works for me now.

I found another bug where the syntax to search by class name "type:MyClass" has been changed to "class:MyClass", but its short cut key "Go to type" still pre filling with "type:"

Sunday, November 22, 2015 1:04 AM
  • User144831 posted

Hi, I found some other bugs:

• Creating new classes using the quick fix menu (Generate new class..) does work, however IDE claims that the generated class already exists (it underline them red)
    • "Toggle Definition" shortcut no longer works, it used to fold all methods, now it folds the first comment of the file
    • Switch file short cut on mac Cmd+Option+Left or Cmd+Option+Right no longer work

I really like the new IDE, it's faster and the auto complete somehow smarter, and now I can use nameof. Great work. Waiting for the new build.

Sunday, November 22, 2015 2:20 AM
  • User1806 posted

@NamDuong.0933

I fixed the creating new classes & toggle definition bug - the short cut bug is known and tracked - I suppose it'll be fixed soon.

It would be nice if new bugs could be reported via the bug tracking tool - then the internal QA team can track the fixes more easily :).

ty for testing & reporting

Monday, November 23, 2015 10:23 AM
  • User120515 posted

Still not working:

Object?.SomeProperty;

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 8:41 PM
  • User37 posted

@Thomas.8817 C#6 is not supported on Windows in preview 3. It will be supported in the next preview.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 9:38 AM
  • User97927 posted

@LluisSanchez can you remove that part in the first post?

Going back to stable After installing the preview, you'll get an update notification for the stable channel (or whatever channel you are following). You can at any time install that update to go back to the stable release.

Because it's not true. Want to go back to 5.10, but everytime i do the "update" xamarin crashes and says 'Error

Xamarin Update must be launched from Xam'

Friday, December 4, 2015 7:43 AM
  • User39751 posted

Filed this bug about warnings I'm seeing in the latest preview (preview 3): The type Xyz conflicts with the imported type Xyz - Shared Projects and iOS Today Extension

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=37093

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 6:53 PM
  • User34778 posted

@LluisSanchez Is there a timeline for when the Roslyn compiler and typesystem will be moved into the Alpha channel? Planning on developing tooling that uses the AST soon and would prefer not to write code against NRefactory if it is being retired.

Friday, December 18, 2015 9:26 PM
  • User144831 posted

How are you doing guys?

Other than Xamarin sketches, this is the most exciting product I am looking forward for.

Saturday, December 19, 2015 2:48 AM
  • User75267 posted

Wondering if there was a rough ETA on the next preview release is coming, or when it might move to the Alpha channel? Thanks!

Monday, January 4, 2016 4:16 PM
  • User185332 posted

What about vi modes?

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 11:09 PM
  • User37 posted

@Matthew-Robbins No timeline yet. Maybe in 1 month or so.

Monday, January 11, 2016 5:41 PM
  • User37 posted

@woot I'd like to do another preview release early next week

Monday, January 11, 2016 5:42 PM
  • User37 posted

@FokkeVermeulen this will be fixed in the next preview

Monday, January 11, 2016 5:42 PM
  • User75267 posted

@LluisSanchez said: @woot I'd like to do another preview release early next week

Great, thanks for the reply - looking forward to it!

Monday, January 11, 2016 5:53 PM
  • User37 posted

I'm glad to announce that we have published a new preview of Xamarin Studio 6.0 with Roslyn, with many improvements in F# support, and a brand new visual style with a dark theme. Please check the the initial post for more details.

Enjoy!

And please provide feedback!

Friday, January 22, 2016 2:37 PM
  • User75267 posted

@LluisSanchez the new changes look great, looking forward trying out the new preview, will post back with any feedback!

Friday, January 22, 2016 6:48 PM
  • User120716 posted

No, no, no... I had a lot of problems with Visual Studio 2015 (Roslyn) and moved a month or two to Xamarin Studio to get rid of these problems. I just installed the latest Preview... and now I have exactly the same problems also in Xamarin Studio!!! No!!!! My solutions builds without any problem but the intellissense is totally useless! Check the screen capture.

Saturday, January 23, 2016 11:10 AM
  • User39751 posted

@StefandeVogelaere.7446 said: No, no, no... I had a lot of problems with Visual Studio 2015 (Roslyn) and moved a month or two to Xamarin Studio to get rid of these problems. I just installed the latest Preview... and now I have exactly the same problems also in Xamarin Studio!!! No!!!! My solutions builds without any problem but the intellissense is totally useless! Check the screen capture.

Interesting. I recommend you open a bugzilla with more details so that particular issue can be investigated. Please also post a link to the bugzilla here. See my bugzilla above as an example. It will help the developers much more than a forum post.

Saturday, January 23, 2016 12:37 PM
  • User71386 posted

I just tried installing XamarinStudio-6.0.0.3668.dmg. I can't get it to start. It says it can't find mono, even though I've just installed Mono 4.2 via the link provided twice (both the universal one, that didn't work, so I installed the 32 bit one). Uninstalled and reinstalled the xamarin studio preview. Same window pops up when trying to run: "Could not launch Xamarin Studio this application requires the Mono Framework". This is on a fully up-to-date mac OSX. How did you guys get it to launch?

Sunday, January 24, 2016 11:42 PM
  • User71386 posted

Nevermind, for anyone else that comes along if you forget to install mono 4.3 from this magic link and you instead accept the link that Xamarin Studio provides when it fails to launch, you'll get the wrong version of mono. And instead of a helpful error saying you've got the wrong version, XS just says you don't have mono, which isn't true.

Sunday, January 24, 2016 11:44 PM
  • User2794 posted

FYI, on Windows, if you have Avast Antivirus installed, it will report the Xamarin MSI installer file to have an infection when you download it. You may want to contact with the Avast guys because it might be reporting a false positive here (hopefully).

Monday, January 25, 2016 4:01 AM
  • User37 posted

@StefandeVogelaere.7446 Can you please file a bug? If you provide a test case we'll fix the issue.

Monday, January 25, 2016 10:16 AM
  • User37 posted

@knocte Fixed, thanks!

Monday, January 25, 2016 2:19 PM
  • User37 posted

@knocte oops, sorry. The fixed message was for @Beachside_Jason.

Monday, January 25, 2016 2:21 PM
  • User71386 posted

@LluisSanchez glad to help :smile: So far the preview version looks and is acting pretty darn slick, I'm impressed!

Monday, January 25, 2016 2:53 PM
  • User13274 posted

@LluisSanchez said: @StefandeVogelaere.7446 Can you please file a bug? If you provide a test case we'll fix the issue.

I added a new bug https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=37997

Monday, January 25, 2016 4:54 PM
  • User13274 posted

@LluisSanchez are you aware that Resolving of namespaces is not working (anymore)?

Monday, January 25, 2016 4:55 PM
  • User37 posted

@Stefan_CaveBirdLabs do you have Source Analysis enabled in the global preferences? (it should be enabled by default). If it is, please file a bug, I'll take a look.

Monday, January 25, 2016 6:26 PM
  • User13274 posted

@LluisSanchez said: @Stefan_CaveBirdLabs do you have Source Analysis enabled in the global preferences? (it should be enabled by default). If it is, please file a bug, I'll take a look.

Because I did a side-by-side installation, this was not enabled. Sorry, Fix is working!

Monday, January 25, 2016 7:44 PM
  • User13274 posted

Is there any news on XAML intellisense support - or "better" support. For example using

Monday, January 25, 2016 7:46 PM
  • User13274 posted

@Stefan_CaveBirdLabs said: Is there any news on XAML intellisense support - or "better" support. For example using

Added https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=38063

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 5:35 PM
  • User13274 posted

If I want to have side by side installation, how can I have both Mono Framework 4.2.x and 4.3 installed? I places the Xam Studio 6 in a different folder so I can run both XS 5 and XS 6, but it seems that the 4.3 mono installation removes the 4.2 installation. So when going back to XS 5 I now use 4.3, which I don't want.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 3:33 PM
  • User37 posted

@Stefan_CaveBirdLabs It is not possible to have two versions of Mono installed side by side. In any case, XS 5 should work just fine with Mono 4.3.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 11:19 PM
  • User13274 posted

@LluisSanchez and is 4.3 "stable" for production? Furthermore, looking forward to a new release of xs 6 as I saw lot's of my reported bugs are fixed :-)

Thursday, January 28, 2016 7:28 PM
  • User107891 posted

@Stefan_CaveBirdLabs

After installing Mono 4.3, I could easily install Mono 4.2 again. Switching between these two is done via Xamarin Studio.

Sunday, January 31, 2016 9:00 AM
  • User32208 posted

This version is great. I have complete uninstalled any VS and use now only Xamarin Studio 6. Only the editor is often disabled, but once I switched the focus to another app and back, the editor works fine again. I hope for a new version in the next time, please ... I love the speed of Xamarin Studio 6 vs. VS.

Monday, February 1, 2016 9:45 AM
  • User112246 posted

How do I enable C#6 support in this preview? my shared project won't pass compilation with errors related to C#6 syntax (Windows)

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 3:19 AM
  • User37 posted

@Stefan_CaveBirdLabs Mono 4.3 is a preview, so in theory not recommended for production. However, I haven't found any real issue yet.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 10:03 AM
  • User37 posted

@tomaten If you file a bug we'll try to track down that editor issue

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 10:04 AM
  • User37 posted

@EduardoNaveda C# 6 should work just fine in Preview 4. If you have problems with a project please file a bug and we'll try to help.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 10:05 AM
  • User32208 posted

@LluisSanchez said: @tomaten If you file a bug we'll try to track down that editor issue

My english is too bad for a detailed description. I try it here for reproducing by anyone who can make a detailed bug report:

Go to the editor and format your code from edit menu. After this, the editor is dead. Also you cannot rename any file ... Move the focus to another app and back enables the editor again.

Btw. "Add new file" does not work from "new" menu and from the project explorer.

I have a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 4:42 PM
  • User18049 posted

@tomaten - Thanks. The bug on Windows where the text editor stops responding after a top level menu is selected has been fixed but unfortunately the fix did not make it into preview 4.

I can reproduce the problem with Add new file menu not working from the project explorer. It looks like the F# addin was compiled against FSharp.Core 4.3.1.0 which Xamarin Studio does not include on Windows. This also has been fixed recently since it caused an error when creating an F# project. The only workaround for preview 4 would be to install F# 3.1.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 5:51 PM
  • User32208 posted

This all sounds good. It's time for a new preview? I love the new version ... It's very fast, the new editor can beat VS 2015's editor ...

One other problem: I can save only all files, not a single file. This menu entry is disabled.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 7:51 PM
  • User18049 posted

@tomaten - I am unable to reproduce the problem with the File - Save menu disabled if the file currently selected in the text editor has been modified. I tried a C# file, opened it in the text editor, made a change, then opened the File menu and all the Save menu items are enabled.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 1:36 PM
  • User32208 posted

Yes this is right with the main file menu. But try to save the file with a right click on the files tab.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 1:44 PM
  • User18049 posted

@tomaten - Thanks. I did not try the file's tab menu. I have opened a bug for this problem.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:22 PM
  • User32208 posted

Any date for a new preview?

Thursday, February 4, 2016 12:04 PM
  • User13274 posted

@LluisSanchez any news on Preview 5??

Thursday, February 11, 2016 4:37 PM
  • User37 posted

@tomaten @Stefan_CaveBirdLabs There will be a new preview soon, early next week.

Friday, February 12, 2016 2:33 PM
  • User37 posted

@RoyCornelissen.9733 Yes, it is basically the same as ModernHttpClient

Friday, February 12, 2016 3:04 PM
  • User77747 posted

Actually can we get some more documentation on the HttpClient stack selector? Specifically: In the release notes I see that it says "the downside is that it requires the event loop to be running for async operations to be executed". I don't recall seeing anything similar to that as a downside in the documention for ModernHttpClient, but I could be misunderstanding something. So I would like to know more about how it works.

Friday, February 12, 2016 8:03 PM
  • User13274 posted

It seems that the Code Formatting for XML documents is not working in Preview 4. Is this a known bug?

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 12:09 PM
  • User18049 posted

@Stefan_CaveBirdLabs - What is not working with code formatting for XML documents? It seems OK to me but I may be trying different to you.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:38 PM
  • User13274 posted

@mattward Please find attached the difference between XS5 and XS6; the exact same Code Formatting settings for XML is resulting in different styles of the file. Basically, XS6 ignores a lot of settings.

Xamarin 5 - XML formatting settings

Result:

Xamarin 6 - XML formatting settings

Result:

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:53 PM
  • User77747 posted

@StefanCaveBirdLabs You're not by chance talking about AXML documents are you? If so then that's covered by this bugzilla: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/showbug.cgi?id=20144 Looks like it is targeted for an upcoming release, but I'm not sure how to interpret the target milestones.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:55 PM
  • User13274 posted

It's related I guess, although this is working in XS5 and these are XAML files instead of AXML. Not checked whether this apply to AXML in XS6 as well.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:00 PM
  • User162820 posted

Anyone have a trick to have this preview installed side by side with the stable 5.10.2 build? I so far have not been able to get them to work side by side. I've tried installing the preview in a separate directory after I already had the main 5.10 build installed to no avail. Second thing I tried was the reverse (uninstalled everything, installed preview first, then stable), and I still can only get one to run. I want to help test the preview, and was hoping some one knew a trick to getting them to play nice side by side. Oh and I am trying to get this to work on my Windows 10 machine.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 3:06 AM
  • User39751 posted

@rseostar said: Anyone have a trick to have this preview installed side by side with the stable 5.10.2 build? I so far have not been able to get them to work side by side. I've tried installing the preview in a separate directory after I already had the main 5.10 build installed to no avail. Second thing I tried was the reverse (uninstalled everything, installed preview first, then stable), and I still can only get one to run. I want to help test the preview, and was hoping some one knew a trick to getting them to play nice side by side. Oh and I am trying to get this to work on my Windows 10 machine.

Side by side works only on OSX, according to Lluis. I think it was the third or fourth post in this thread where he mentioned that.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 3:28 AM
  • User162820 posted

Yeah I saw that, but was hoping things might have changed as that was an older build of this preview. Ah well i guess.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 3:32 AM
  • User18049 posted

@rseostar - You should be able to install side by side on Windows. You can extract the files from .msi and run it from there.

Open up a command prompt as administrator and then run a command similar to the following, replacing paths as needed:

msiexec /a c:\users\matt\downloads\XamarinStudio-6.0.0.3668.msi /qb TARGETDIR=c:\users\matt\downloads\xs6-3668

Then inside the Xamarin Studio\bin directory you should have XamarinStudio.exe which you can run.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 4:57 PM
  • User18049 posted

@Stefan_CaveBirdLabs - Testing the XML formatting options I can see two things which do not work.

• Attribute wrapping seems to have no affect in Xamarin Studio 6 but wraps in 5.10
    • Omit XML declaration seems to have no affect in Xamarin Studio 6 or Xamarin Studio 5.10

I have opened a bug for the above formatting options.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 10:49 AM
  • User13708 posted

I tried installing for the first time this morning, and it doesn't seem very functional. For one, all of my .cs files are a giant sea of red, since the editor can't seem to resolve anything that comes from F# projects. Code completion also seems completely nonfunctional. Is there now an extra a switch or something I need to set to tell C# files how to resolve stuff in F#?

Friday, February 19, 2016 8:01 PM
  • User54857 posted

I´m not able to compile a PCL. See attached image

Saturday, February 20, 2016 10:04 AM
  • User32208 posted

No new version this week. :(

Saturday, February 20, 2016 1:35 PM
  • User18049 posted

@tomaten - A new version of Xamarin Studio 6 was released on the alpha channel.

Saturday, February 20, 2016 1:50 PM
  • User2794 posted

@JamesMoore said: I tried installing for the first time this morning, and it doesn't seem very functional. For one, all of my .cs files are a giant sea of red, since the editor can't seem to resolve anything that comes from F# projects. Code completion also seems completely nonfunctional. Is there now an extra a switch or something I need to set to tell C# files how to resolve stuff in F#?

This looks like the same bug I reported here: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=37977

Monday, February 22, 2016 3:51 AM
  • User2794 posted

@mattward said: @tomaten - A new version of Xamarin Studio 6 was released on the alpha channel.

Great! But seems like updating to this from the last XS6 preview doesn't work. I go to "Check for updates", and it sees 2 new updates: XS6 and GTK# for Windows 2.12.30.1, but the latter fails to be retreived (when I click to download it, and the progress bar finishes, it says "Failed", with no more explanations). The only option is then to click the "Retry" button, which ends up with the same result (is it because the new XS6 version depends on gtk#>=2.12.30.1?).

Monday, February 22, 2016 3:56 AM
  • User2794 posted

@knocte said:

@mattward said: @tomaten - A new version of Xamarin Studio 6 was released on the alpha channel.

Great! But seems like updating to this from the last XS6 preview doesn't work. I go to "Check for updates", and it sees 2 new updates: XS6 and GTK# for Windows 2.12.30.1, but the latter fails to be retreived (when I click to download it, and the progress bar finishes, it says "Failed", with no more explanations). The only option is then to click the "Retry" button, which ends up with the same result (is it because the new XS6 version depends on gtk#>=2.12.30.1?).

I've just uninstalled XS6, installed the 5.10 one, and tried to update to the latest in the Alpha channel, and the result is both XS6 and GTK# updates fail to be downloaded (I'm on Windows 8 BTW). See screenshot:

Monday, February 22, 2016 5:13 AM
  • User2794 posted

@knocte said:

This is what the log shows:

ERROR [2016-02-22 13:10:58Z]: Updater download failed: http://download.xamarin.com/GTKforWindows/Windows/gtk-sharp-2.12.30.1.msi System.Exception: MD5 mismatch for file 'C:\Users\Andres\AppData\Local\XamarinStudio-5.0\Cache\TempDownload\gtk-sharp-2.12.30.1.msi'. Expected: 'c5d75447f00dbd1a4ae252245029c101'. Actual: '18ed48afc73edf04077c587b631c7a22' at Xamarin.Ide.Updater.DownloadService.Download() ERROR [2016-02-22 13:10:58Z]: Updater download failed (ReceiveFailure): http://download.xamarin.com/studio/Windows/XamarinStudio-6.0.0.4520-0.msi WARNING [2016-02-22 13:13:45Z]: Gtk-Warning: Error loading theme icon 'help-contents' for stock: Failed to load icon Stack trace: at Gtk.Application.gtk_main() at Gtk.Application.Run() at MonoDevelop.Ide.IdeApp.Run() at MonoDevelop.Ide.IdeStartup.Run(MonoDevelopOptions options) at MonoDevelop.Ide.IdeStartup.Main(String[] args, IdeCustomizer customizer) at Xamarin.Startup.MainClass.Main(String[] args)

Monday, February 22, 2016 5:15 AM
  • User1909 posted

Hi @LluisSanchez, did Preview 5 come out? If so, how do we get to it or how will we be informed?

Thanks

@LluisSanchez said: @tomaten @Stefan_CaveBirdLabs There will be a new preview soon, early next week.

Monday, February 22, 2016 7:01 AM
  • User174034 posted

@joehanna said: Hi @LluisSanchez, did Preview 5 come out? If so, how do we get to it or how will we be informed?

Thanks

@LluisSanchez said: @tomaten @Stefan_CaveBirdLabs There will be a new preview soon, early next week.

The current one in the alpha channel is 6.0.0.4520. The Preview 4 is 6.0.0.3668.

Monday, February 22, 2016 8:43 AM
  • User18049 posted

@knocte - The updater bug has been filed, although the bug is private. The hash defined for the gtk# msi download is incorrect on Windows.

Monday, February 22, 2016 9:16 AM
  • User31385 posted

I very much hope there's an urgent update in the works for this 6.0.0.4520 version of XS Alpha (MacOS).

I've spent 30 minutes with it, editing a XAML file, and it's probably the flakiest XS edition I've ever tried - normally they're pretty good, but this one has some serious problems. The XAML editor crashed on me 3 times within 5 minutes as I added elements to the XML and assigned attributes with values. At points the editor wouldn't even let me type a value for an attribute. In fact, editing attribute values seems to provoke a crash more often than not. On the basis of that experience I'm very surprised that this edition even made it out the door: the XAML editor is pretty much unusable.

On the positive side, I do enjoy the new "dark" interface. There are one or two small glitches

• The mouse and cursors are almost impossible to see, because they are black. We need some contrasting pixels there to enable us to see them against the dark background. I use the editor on the train where the sunlight coming in the window means the screen is really hard to read, and the present shape and contrast of the mouse and text editing cursors do not help at all.
    • The compiler errors/warnings description text is still in black, so it's almost impossible to read.

All in all the new interface is very pleasing. But please, fix that *%^&$% XAML editor before it drives everyone mad!

Monday, February 22, 2016 10:03 AM
  • User1909 posted

@OddbjrnBakke said:

@joehanna said: Hi @LluisSanchez, did Preview 5 come out? If so, how do we get to it or how will we be informed?

Thanks

The current one in the alpha channel is 6.0.0.4520. The Preview 4 is 6.0.0.3668.

Thanks @OddbjrnBakke. I didn't realise the Alpha channel was active again.

If I switch to the Alpha channel from within XS 6, will that affect my production version of XS 5?

Monday, February 22, 2016 10:04 AM
  • User18049 posted

@DavidDancy - Can you file a bug on bugzilla with your IDE logs attached? Thanks.

Monday, February 22, 2016 10:31 AM
  • User173280 posted

I had the same issue with the previous build as @stefandv-cozmos (also mentioned in this thread does anyone know if it's fixed in the latest alpha build? I'd love to be an early adopter because of the awesome dark theme, but this bug still keeps me away. I know I could add the references to the dll-s manually, but that's an ugly solution and messes with the project files.

Monday, February 22, 2016 10:36 AM
  • User18049 posted

@joehanna - If you switch to the alpha channel and install Xamarin Studio then yes it will replace your old stable version of Xamarin Studio.

Monday, February 22, 2016 10:36 AM
  • User1909 posted

@mattward said: @joehanna - If you switch to the alpha channel and install Xamarin Studio then yes it will replace your old stable version of Xamarin Studio.

Thanks @mattward.

For the sake of reporting back to the group, I have both XS5 and XS6 installed side-by-side. I switched to the Alpha Channel in XS6 and it did not affect the channel selector in XS5 (which stayed set to "Stable").

So I can update XS6 without affecting XS5 - however, it appears that Mono 4.3.2 (from the Alpha Channel) is used by both XS5 and XS6.

Going forward, it would be great if the environments were completely independent of each other. It would mean that we can "play" in the alpha/beta channels to test and use new features, but we could always go back to the production-ready "Stable" channel when it is time to build and deploy apps for the App Store. I understand there could be syntactical errors etc when switching but that would be a known hazard when playing with new toys.

Monday, February 22, 2016 10:53 AM
  • User13274 posted

@mattward said: @DavidDancy - Can you file a bug on bugzilla with your IDE logs attached? Thanks.

I can confirm I had the same experience; after a crash of 10 within first 5 minutes of use. It seems however, that it is now working without crashes for the moment. Not sure what happened though...

Monday, February 22, 2016 12:06 PM
  • User13274 posted

@ZoltanSoki said: I had the same issue with the previous build as @stefandv-cozmos (also mentioned in this thread does anyone know if it's fixed in the latest alpha build? I'd love to be an early adopter because of the awesome dark theme, but this bug still keeps me away. I know I could add the references to the dll-s manually, but that's an ugly solution and messes with the project files.

I can confirm, I am not having this issue anymore...

Monday, February 22, 2016 12:07 PM
  • User13274 posted

@Stefan_CaveBirdLabs said:

@mattward said: @DavidDancy - Can you file a bug on bugzilla with your IDE logs attached? Thanks.

I can confirm I had the same experience; after a crash of 10 within first 5 minutes of use. It seems however, that it is now working without crashes for the moment. Not sure what happened though...

Added a bug report https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=38986

Monday, February 22, 2016 1:48 PM
  • User18049 posted

@knocte - The GTK# download should now be fixed on Windows.

Monday, February 22, 2016 5:46 PM
  • User13274 posted

It seems that the Resolve Namespace fix is broken in the latest xs6 version... to bad https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=38988

Monday, February 22, 2016 10:28 PM
  • User13274 posted

I am wondering why https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=37790 would be so hard to add... give me access to github develop and I add it myself :-)

Monday, February 22, 2016 10:32 PM
  • User2794 posted

@mattward said: @knocte - The updater bug has been filed, although the bug is private. The hash defined for the gtk# msi download is incorrect on Windows.

I didn't report in bugzilla because I guessed the problem could be fixed in the server side (hence, no "version" of XS applies ;) )

@mattward said: @knocte - The GTK# download should now be fixed on Windows.

Cool, now the GTK# update succeeds in downloading, but the XS6 fails (from an XS5.10 install). The error in the log is still:

ERROR [2016-02-23 10:24:49Z]: Updater download failed (ReceiveFailure): http://download.xamarin.com/studio/Windows/XamarinStudio-6.0.0.4520-0.msi

I'll try now to install from the latest downloadable XS6Preview.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 2:32 AM
  • User2794 posted

@knocte said: I'll try now to install from the latest downloadable XS6Preview.

Updating to Alpha from the last downloadable XS6Preview works FYI.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 7:29 AM
  • User68546 posted

Can't create new F# project in 6.0.4520 :( Opening existing solution fails also.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:26 PM
  • User18049 posted

@DaniilSmirnov - Currently there are a few F# addin problems on Windows with the alpha 1 release. You should be able to workaround them by adding a binding redirect to the XamarinStudio.exe.config

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:48 PM
  • User13274 posted

Note to Microsoft: PLEASE DO NOT KILL XAMARIN STUDIO!!!!

Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:04 AM
  • User198863 posted

What about listening to my code formatting wishes? As the latest preview is very bad at doing this.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 2:56 PM
  • User18049 posted

@NinoFloris - There is a bug with the current alpha release where the text editor settings in preferences under Text Editor - Markers and Rulers get erased. If you are referring to another problem can you please provide more information, thanks?

Thursday, February 25, 2016 3:10 PM
  • User32208 posted

I am back to 6338. First I wondering me about the new UI style. Did you forget any theme? Second I cannot change the UI language ...

Thursday, February 25, 2016 5:04 PM
  • User68546 posted

@mattward Thank You, seems to work well! Intellisense doesn't work at all..

Thursday, February 25, 2016 5:38 PM
  • User198863 posted

What I have noticed is this (maybe a migration issue?)

First of almost half of the options in the previous version (5) are not available anymore, the braces tab for instance is totally gone. I don't like (mildly stated) spaces between my method and parentheses for instance. They are under spacing, however the autocomplete totally ignores my setup style, even if I choose one of the defaults (Microsoft VS) it still autocompletes with a space between my method and my parentheses.

Next thing is that redo and undo is broken, I have had multilpe occasions where an undo does not behave correctly and tears of half of a line that wasn't touched by my edits

e.g.

Initial: public void Test() { this.test = true; }

My work: public void Test() { this.otherTest = false; this.test = true; }

Undo state: public void Test() { st = true; }

This seems to primarily happen with lines below what you are trying to undo.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 5:55 PM
  • User70 posted

How do I turn off the italicizing local variables in the ALPHA channel release I'm using now?

Sunday, February 28, 2016 9:11 PM
  • User70 posted

This has been an issue forever, I'd love to see it fixed in XS 6 going forward. Set the drop downs in various project settings to the "Active Config" instead of "Debug". For example if I have the solution at the top left of XS set to RELEASE and I go into the project settings I would expect that RELEASE is the set config in the drop downs in the related areas that have build config drop downs.

Monday, February 29, 2016 2:14 AM
  • User18049 posted

@NealCuliner - The italic style is defined in the syntax highlighting (Preferences - Text Editor - Syntax Highlighting). You should be able to disable this by creating a new syntax style and removing the italic style from User Field Declaration and User Field Usage.

Monday, February 29, 2016 9:52 AM
  • User19135 posted

After upgrading to Xamarin Studio 6.0 Build Output (Sport.Android sample project) contains only:

Building: Sport.Android (Debug)

---------------------- Done ----------------------

Build failed. Build: 1 error, 0 warnings

Errors tab contains:

Build failed. See the build log for details.

Ide log contains following:

WARNING [2016-03-01 12:42:15Z]: Unregistered TargetFramework '.NETFramework,Version=v4.5.1' is being requested from SystemAssemblyService, returning empty TargetFramework ERROR [2016-03-01 13:42:20Z]: Build failed. System.InvalidOperationException: No compatible framework found for assembly 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Xamarin Studio\bin\MSBuild\dotnet.14.0\MonoDevelop.Projects.Formats.MSBuild.exe' (required framework: .NETFramework,Version=v4.5.1) ? MonoDevelop.Core.Assemblies.TargetRuntime.ExecuteAssembly(ProcessStartInfo pinfo, TargetFramework fx) ? C:\Users\builder\data\lanes\88\a354b2cb\source\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Core\MonoDevelop.Core.Assemblies\TargetRuntime.cs:?????? 246 ? MonoDevelop.Projects.MSBuild.MSBuildProjectService.<>cDisplayClass81_1.b0() ? C:\Users\builder\data\lanes\88\a354b2cb\source\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Core\MonoDevelop.Projects.MSBuild\MSBuildProjectService.cs:?????? 990 ? System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke() ? System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

Rollback to XS 5.2 doesn't help to solve this issue. Is it any way to restore functionality?

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 10:02 AM
  • User2794 posted

@NinaKharchenko said: Ide log contains following:

WARNING [2016-03-01 12:42:15Z]: Unregistered TargetFramework '.NETFramework,Version=v4.5.1' is being requested from SystemAssemblyService, returning empty TargetFramework

Seems similar to https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=37977

Friday, March 4, 2016 9:52 AM
  • User98607 posted

Source control (using ...) is not appear with the latest update on alpha channel. ( Did not update Xamarin studio)

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 2:47 PM
  • User174034 posted

Got new build from alpha channel now XS 6 build 4761. Don't know whats new. :open_mouth:

Thursday, March 10, 2016 8:21 AM
  • User38995 posted

Do you have any info about quickfix feature in Xamarin Studio Mac? It is missing for a while, now updated to the last version via alpha channel, and still have this bug.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 8:52 AM
  • User174034 posted

@TamasMatrai said: Do you have any info about quickfix feature in Xamarin Studio Mac? It is missing for a while, now updated to the last version via alpha channel, and still have this bug.

Can't find any release notes. But I guess the https://developer.xamarin.com/releases/studio/xamarin.studio6.0/xamarin.studio6.0/ will be updated soon.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:00 AM
  • User173280 posted

Seems like https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=38970 is fixed! You can add new files as normal if you had problems with that.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:20 AM
  • User31385 posted

I just tried it and it appears that the crashing bug when editing XML attributes has been fixed. In fact it's very nice to have much fuller Intellisense when editing XAML form layouts now.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 1:23 PM
  • User31385 posted

I think I spoke too soon. The problems in the XML editor have definitely been fixed, but now I have a series of breakpoints in bound commands and properties that refuse to be triggered, no matter what.

Saturday, March 12, 2016 12:43 AM
  • User174034 posted

Se there is another new alpha 6.0.0.4801

Also like the new way of showing the changes in: https://developer.xamarin.com/releases/studio/xamarin.studio6.0/xamarin.studio6.0/

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:00 PM
  • User206561 posted

With the latest alpha I cannot create the release Android package. Any idea?

Thursday, March 24, 2016 7:36 AM
  • User37 posted

@JonBoyz which error do you get? can you file a bug report?

Thursday, March 24, 2016 8:29 AM
  • User206561 posted

I get no error, I cannot find the menu entry.

Thursday, March 24, 2016 8:34 AM
  • User37 posted

@JonBoyz You should have an "Archive for Publishing" option in the context menu of the project, and also on the Project menu of the main menu bar.

Thursday, March 24, 2016 11:02 AM
  • User206561 posted

This is a strange wording and function. I dont would like to create a archive or other things, I only need a simple package to send it to 1 or 2 testers. :(

Thursday, March 24, 2016 11:41 AM
  • User204287 posted

Please bring this button back. I always found it to be a really good experience. Keep right-click if you want but add this more explicit redundancy.

Sunday, March 27, 2016 11:01 AM
  • User2794 posted

Does anyone have trouble updating XS for Windows? I reported a bug about this here: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=39880

So I'm stuck in build 4761... :(

And today I tried to run some NUnit3 tests and it didn't work. But not sure if the latest NUnit3 fixes are included in my version, or should I report a bug?

Thanks

Friday, April 1, 2016 4:55 AM
  • User2794 posted

Nevermind, just closed my bug (check the latest comment in it if you're curious).

Friday, April 1, 2016 5:02 AM
  • User28 posted

@JonBoyz we're standardizing on the the Archive->Publish workflow for both Android and iOS. It's consistent, allows correctly re-signing the package for various distribution channels, and preserves symbols for symbolication.

Monday, April 4, 2016 4:06 AM
  • User31385 posted

@mhutch For those of us who need to do headless builds, how do we find out the calls and parameters needed to make the headless build use the settings in the corresponding project file?

In my current script, I have to "manually" jarsign and zipalign the .apk file produced by the build command even though I've specified the keystore and password in the project file of the app. In fact I've automated the process by reading the XML of the project file to find out what the settings are, then fed those into the jarsign and zipalign commands. It would be really nice to have some more support from the build system for this process.

Monday, April 4, 2016 11:46 PM
  • User28 posted

@DavidDancy the build process is (to some extent) documented here: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/underthehood/build_process/

Are you using the SignAndroidPackage target?

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 12:51 AM
  • User31385 posted

@mhutch No. I built my own script using FAKE, and set it up so it can build an individual .csproj file for me within the solution. I need this because our app is a white-label app with each client's version implemented as its own project in the solution.

The SignAndroidPackage target appears from the docs to only work with Release configuration, whereas I need it to also work for Debug and Ad-Hoc (principally because I need to receive GCM messages in the Debug and Ad-Hoc builds separately from the Production edition). So I run the jarsign and zipalign commands from the script after building the .apk file for the appropriate compiler configuration.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 4:13 AM
  • User13274 posted

Any news on a next (preview) release (including the Xamarin For All)?

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 6:31 AM
  • User206561 posted

Now we have to say "R.I.P. Xamarin Studio for Windows". :( Before I install 200 GB Visual Studio scrap on my PC, I buy a Mac Mini.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 1:45 PM
  • User28 posted

@DavidDancy configurations are arbitrary and the names have no special significance to the tooling - you can have as many configurations as you want. You can't distribute an APK that uses the shared development runtime, but you can set whatever other configuration properties you want. I took a quick look at the MSBuild targets and I can't see that SignAndroidPackage depends on any configuration properties that only exist in Release. What problems are you seeing when you do that?

FWIW it may be easier to follow if we move this discussion to another thread.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 3:17 PM
  • User20480 posted

It seems that we have not had any new releases in two weeks. I have used this IDE since Preview 1 because of its speed and features. I expect since the Build conference, this has turned to a low priority. It might be time to change to the Stable channel in Xamarin Mac or use Visual Studio. I am going to the Evolve conference this month and I will hopefully get a good picture of the future of Xamarin Studio / Visual Studio with Xamarin.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 6:47 PM
  • User37 posted

@BrianM We'll push a new alpha release very soon, today or tomorrow.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:31 AM
  • User20480 posted

Thank you @LluisSanchez. This is such a great product and appreciate your quick response.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:24 PM
  • User206561 posted

@LluisSanchez said: @BrianM We'll push a new alpha release very soon, today or tomorrow.

We get also a new Alpha for Windows?

Thursday, April 7, 2016 4:19 PM
  • User212445 posted

Hi, I just downloaded the latest Alpha and it is a great improvement. Congratulations! However, I'm having a minor issue with dropdown menus. I have to keep pressing the mouse down to see the options. Otherwise, they simply disappear. It happens in every dropdown menu in Xamarin Studio. Am I the only one experiencing this? Or should I open a bug report?

Thanks

Friday, April 8, 2016 2:49 PM
  • User191 posted

I downloaded the XS6 but I failed to login with my Visual Studio Enterprise account in my MacBook. But I no problem with my community free account. Does anyone having this issue?

Also, any idea when XS6 going to officially promote to release?

Saturday, April 9, 2016 10:16 AM
  • User13274 posted

@CHIEWTHOUCHANG said: I downloaded the XS6 but I failed to login with my Visual Studio Enterprise account in my MacBook. But I no problem with my community free account. Does anyone having this issue?

I understood from a support mail I received that XS6 does not support the Xamarin For All at the moment. There is an update needed for that for which we are waiting

Monday, April 11, 2016 12:55 PM
  • User13274 posted

There it is... Version 6.0 (build 4968) ... updates XS6 with new Icon!

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 7:01 AM
  • User9296 posted

And another Icon when you set it to Dark mode... :smile:

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 1:26 PM
  • User20480 posted

I just downloaded build 4698 and my Xamarin.Forms apps load and run just fine, so do my Xamarin.Droid apps, but my Xamarin.iOS apps install the app onto the emulator and then do not load. There is nothing in the application output or the call stack. The same code ran fine using the last preview and still runs fine on the stable channel. Is there anything in the logs I can check?

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 2:43 PM
  • User70 posted

My iOS app is dead too :(

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 2:54 PM
  • User20480 posted

Installing the latest stable build of Xamarin.iOS 9.6.1 (but keeping Xamarin Studio 6 4698) fixed my problem. It seems something broke in Xamarin.iOS 9.8.0.244.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 3:13 PM
  • User2589 posted

@BrianM can you look at Console.app to see what's being reported ? and also tell us if the same app works when executed on a device ? Please add any information to Neal's bug report. Thanks!

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 8:33 PM
  • User20480 posted

@SebastienPouliot, @NealCuliner. I installed the latest Alpha again this morning and looked at the console.app logs. The latest Xamarin.iOS is failing because of the "beta-reports-active" flag in Entitlements.plist. This has been working in the past and is required for submitting your app to TestFlight. For now, I am removing that flag for debugging.

4/13/16 8:22:22.083 AM taskgated[352]: killed org.mycompany.myapp[pid 1057] because its use of the beta-reports-active entitlement is not allowed (error code -67050)

I added this info to Neal's bug report.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 12:27 PM
  • User136396 posted

Anyone been able to get StyleCop to work w/ Xamarin Studio 6? We've been using it to make our code consistent and Xamarin Studio's C# formatting styles are definitely all wrong :-(

Thursday, April 14, 2016 8:38 PM
  • User39751 posted

Out of curiosity @KenYee what is wrong with the formatting styles in Xamarin Studio 6? Xamarin Studio 6 now uses Roslyn's code formatter, which supposedly allows you format in a way that is exactly the same as Visual Studio. Did you select the Visual Studio settings from the dropdown? Are you sure you still need to use StyleCop with XS 6? Maybe now that XS 6 uses Rosyln's code formatter you don't need to use StyleCop anymore.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:38 PM
  • User136396 posted

@NateCookPersonal that's the other bug I filed...Xamarin Studio 6 build 4986 doesn't seem to pay attention to the preference I set for C# formatting. I tried the SharpDevelop and VS styles. It kept doing the K&R style including adding a space between func and the params so it was doing "func (a, b) {" Stylecop does more than that though...it forces you to organize your public/private variables/methods etc.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:40 PM
  • User39751 posted

@KenYee I see. StyleCop sounds interesting. Sorry that I have no experience with it though. Do you have the link to that bugzilla bug about formatting? Would like to follow the updates to that one..

Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:45 PM
  • User136396 posted

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=40409 I'm back on stable for now...no stylecop kills xamarin6 for me for now :-(

Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:47 PM
  • User210134 posted

@KenYee said: @NateCookPersonal that's the other bug I filed...Xamarin Studio 6 build 4986 doesn't seem to pay attention to the preference I set for C# formatting. I tried the SharpDevelop and VS styles. It kept doing the K&R style including adding a space between func and the params so it was doing "func (a, b) {" Stylecop does more than that though...it forces you to organize your public/private variables/methods etc.

I had the same problem with an alpha release some time ago. I then found a entry on my project file, which has set the setting of the code formatting to a fixed value. After I deleted this line, the code formatting work again.

Xamarin Studio 6 build 4968 definitely has no problem with the code formatting.

Friday, April 15, 2016 9:46 AM
  • User136396 posted

@IvanMokowitch said: I had the same problem with an alpha release some time ago. I then found a entry on my project file, which has set the setting of the code formatting to a fixed value. After I deleted this line, the code formatting work again.

That sounds like something the upgrader should have taken care of. I'll update the bug report :-)

Friday, April 15, 2016 1:19 PM
  • User136641 posted

For the Dark theme, is there any chance we can some more contrast on disabled labels? It's very hard to see what my current build target is while the app is running.

label contrast

Friday, April 15, 2016 9:15 PM
  • User2022 posted

First I want to say that I love the new interface! Soms things seems to be faster too. But, I'm having some lags during working with the editor. Using the new version since the beta-release on my iMac and MBP. Both have the lag issues during code editing. I'm trying to find some structure in behaviour, but I'm not really sure when the actual lag happens. Sometimes it justs freezes for about 10 to 20 seconds. In the CPU process list I can see XS then running on about 100 to 200 %. Maybe it's updating the intellisense.

More people have this issue? Or maybe there's a way to clear some cache?

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 8:15 AM
  • User109755 posted

Can you run Xamarin Studio 6.0 side by side with Xamarin Studio 5.10? I would really love to try it out.

Are there any issues running the same project in both 5.10 and 6.0?

Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:19 AM
  • User18049 posted

@RasmusChristensen - Yes you should be able to run Xamarin Studio 6.0 side by side with version 5. If you are on the Mac you can open the .dmg and extract the app to a folder other than Applications. You can do the same on windows. You will need a later version of Mono to run Xamarin Studio 6.0 but Xamarin Studio 5 should still work with it.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:29 AM
  • User109755 posted

@mattward hmmm where do I download 6.0?

Thursday, April 21, 2016 8:02 PM
  • User109755 posted

Oh my bad switch channel

Thursday, April 21, 2016 8:11 PM
  • User26128 posted

Hi, thanks for you great work!

Have you plan to add vi mode or remove it completely?

Friday, April 22, 2016 2:42 PM
  • User134533 posted

Just downloaded the newest version. It is literally unusable. Everything just hangs. Switched back to version 5.10.3 I was using Version 6 until the newest point update made things worse :(

Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:33 AM
  • User40679 posted

Same here. :( I love Version 6, but the latest version is really slow.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 10:38 AM
  • User58587 posted

Same, getting lockups quite frequently

Thursday, April 28, 2016 10:55 AM
  • User69073 posted

6.1 build 817 is completely unusable for me also. Cannot edit files...tabs load with nothing to edit. Sure looks good though!

Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:11 PM
  • User172163 posted

same here. alpha build 817 is completely broken

Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:44 PM
  • User130334 posted

Wow.

I hadn't noticed Xamarin Studio 6 would be such a big thing. But I've just watched the keynote and it looks very promising. Currently, Xamarin Studio is not very good but it isn't bad either, it's really doable to work with once you know what the problems are and where things are. Of course I've been missing a few things, like code folding, but it encouraged me to keep my classes short.

But I'm impressed by what's been presented at the keynote:

1. Although I don't really care about the dark theme I do appreciate the graphical re-work as the current XS doesn't fit 100% in Mac OS
    2. Code folding. It wasn't announced during the keynote but I saw it on the screenshots.
    3. Xaml Preview. Done with waiting 30+sec before you can see how a small change affects your UI
    4. Roslyn. I didn't know who she was but I sure had noticed that the contextual help in XS did break quite easily. Great to have this fixed! (And many more improvements).

Some of these could seem like small things but all in all it will make XS become a rather good IDE.

So keep up the good work and the bug fixes guys, we're eager to be able to use Xamarin Studio 6!

Friday, April 29, 2016 6:11 AM
  • User40679 posted

Hmm, I've just noticed that I'm using the latest beta (6.0 build 5104), - not the alpha, that everybody else was talking about - and this version is also slow for me. The editor frequently hangs, the nuget package manager is searching for packages for a long time, and adding multiple packages with that is horribly slow. Anybody else with the same problems with this version?

Monday, May 2, 2016 7:05 AM
  • User2022 posted

@SzadvariTamas said: Hmm, I've just noticed that I'm using the latest beta (6.0 build 5104), - not the alpha, that everybody else was talking about - and this version is also slow for me. The editor frequently hangs, the nuget package manager is searching for packages for a long time, and adding multiple packages with that is horribly slow. Anybody else with the same problems with this version?

Correct. I've been working for more about two weeks on the beta-version, it has lags. Since yesterday I'm running the alpha-version, same behaviour.

I'm also more and more using the Search-bar (mostly using Ctrl+Shift+T to search a type) but often the searchbar doen't accept input anymore. In the beta/alpha this problem seems to be getting worse. Still haven't found a reason for it. It just happens often, but hard to report without knowing when it occurs exactly.

Monday, May 2, 2016 6:51 PM
  • User130334 posted

@Theos said:

I'm also more and more using the Search-bar (mostly using Ctrl+Shift+T to search a type) but often the searchbar doen't accept input anymore. In the beta/alpha this problem seems to be getting worse. Still haven't found a reason for it. It just happens often, but hard to report without knowing when it occurs exactly.

I have also noticed this problem quite often on the stable build. I usually need to restart XS. It's possible that it's linked to external filesystem changes, for example when I change branch in git or perform rebase. I usually try to close the solution when I do anything outside of XS.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 9:13 AM
  • User77747 posted

@ThibaultD said:

@Theos said:

I have also noticed this problem quite often on the stable build. I usually need to restart XS. It's possible that it's linked to external filesystem changes, for example when I change branch in git or perform rebase. I usually try to close the solution when I do anything outside of XS.

Same here. Happens to me in the stable channel (XS 5.10.3) and restarting XS fixes it.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 3:00 PM
  • User4553 posted

I mentioned it on the Insights forum, but didn't get much love there, so let's try here :) We're seeing Insights reporting "null" instead of proper stack trace for exceptions (both crashes and warnings) from builds, built with XS 6.0 (5104). Anyone else experiencing it or any suggestions how to fix it?

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 3:11 PM
  • User182934 posted

Just out of curiosity I have tried the latest beta and I so far I was really liking it. Except of course for a few bugs, what is completely normal. But those few bugs have pushed me to get back to the stable build what at the moment is 5.10.3 (build 51). After when I switched back, I am getting these error messages what have never happend before. It happen most of the time when I am trying to debug some code.

See screenshot of message => https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2rzba1ui3khwp7/Screenshot%202016-05-04%2010.47.15.png?dl=0

Have anyone had the same kind of problems/error?

Message here: 2016-05-04 10:46:41.939 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] error: * Assertion at ../../../../../mono/mono/mini/debugger-agent.c:5264, condition `tls->context.valid' not met 2016-05-04 10:46:41.939 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: Stacktrace:

2016-05-04 10:46:41.939 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: Native stacktrace:

2016-05-04 10:46:41.941 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 0 Ymonitor.ios 0x001b86dd monohandlenativesigsegv + 317 2016-05-04 10:46:41.941 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 1 Ymonitor.ios 0x001c03a1 sigabrtsignalhandler + 145 2016-05-04 10:46:41.941 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 2 libsystemplatform.dylib 0x0979f79b sigtramp + 43 2016-05-04 10:46:41.941 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 3 ??? 0xffffffff 0x0 + 4294967295 2016-05-04 10:46:41.941 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 4 libsystemc.dylib 0x0952f65d abort + 156 2016-05-04 10:46:41.941 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 5 Ymonitor.ios 0x0034c818 ZL12logcallbackPKcS0S0iPv + 88 2016-05-04 10:46:41.941 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 6 Ymonitor.ios 0x0032eb2a logadapter + 154 2016-05-04 10:46:41.942 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 7 Ymonitor.ios 0x000a0c18 monoegassertionmessage + 104 2016-05-04 10:46:41.942 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 8 Ymonitor.ios 0x0012d086 debuggerthread + 35526 2016-05-04 10:46:41.942 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 9 Ymonitor.ios 0x00332ba0 innerstartthread + 240 2016-05-04 10:46:41.942 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 10 libsystempthread.dylib 0x0978c780 _pthreadbody + 138 2016-05-04 10:46:41.942 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 11 libsystempthread.dylib 0x0978c6f6 _pthreadbody + 0 2016-05-04 10:46:41.942 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical: 12 libsystempthread.dylib 0x09789f7a threadstart + 34

2016-05-04 10:46:41.943 Ymonitor.ios[2366:112123] critical:

Got a SIGABRT while executing native code. This usually indicates a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries

used by your application.

Step request failed: Exception of type 'Mono.Debugger.Soft.VMDisconnectedException' was thrown.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 8:54 AM
  • User16698 posted

Hey guys, I found out that with the beta version of Xamarin studio (6.0 beta) my httpWebRequest are not working anymore.

If I downgrade to a stable everything works perfectly, when I upgrade to a beta version(6.0) the same code always throws this exception : "nameResolutionFailure" How is it possible?

Monday, May 16, 2016 2:29 PM
  • User4553 posted

I've had similar issue on Android when trying to access a url with a non-standard port (88 in my case). One way to fix it is to either use 80/443 or something > 1000 or to use ModernHttpClient (I was using HttpClient for my requests already).

Monday, May 16, 2016 11:14 PM
  • User16698 posted

@Niki said: I've had similar issue on Android when trying to access a url with a non-standard port (88 in my case). One way to fix it is to either use 80/443 or something > 1000 or to use ModernHttpClient (I was using HttpClient for my requests already).

Thanks Niki, I am calling a web-service on a non-standard port > 1000 (in my case 8082).

For sure I will use ModernHttpClient for next projects, but I would like to know whether is a bug or something else because if I downgrade to a stable version everything is working perfectly!

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:24 AM
  • User4553 posted

It's definitely a bug in my opinion - I think it has something to do with Xamarin migrating to an OkHttp based HttpClient implementation (there was some mention in the release notes). I haven't investigated since the fix was fairly easy (although it broke gzip decompression, but that's another story :smile:). I'd suggest that you either check if ModernHttpClient will work for you - it's a 1-line change, or downgrade and wait for the stable release when hopefully that will be fixed.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 10:56 AM
  • User16698 posted

@Niki said: It's definitely a bug in my opinion - I think it has something to do with Xamarin migrating to an OkHttp based HttpClient implementation (there was some mention in the release notes). I haven't investigated since the fix was fairly easy (although it broke gzip decompression, but that's another story :smile:). I'd suggest that you either check if ModernHttpClient will work for you - it's a 1-line change, or downgrade and wait for the stable release when hopefully that will be fixed.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try! ;)

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 12:27 PM
  • User212566 posted

Hi guys, can I develop iOS apps with Xamarin Studio on Windows?

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 10:27 PM
  • User61192 posted

I've noticed in Xamarin Studio 6 (Version 6.1 (build 817)), when trying to rename a property on a class (using Command-R), the value I am renaming to seems to replicate over and over in odd ways.

For example, if a property name is "MyProperty" and I rename it to "CoolProperty", the result of the rename changes the property name to something like, "CoolCoolCoolCoolCoolProperty".

Anyone else experienced this? I've attached a gif showing this behavior.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 5:27 PM
  • User12211 posted

That animation doesn't look like renaming a property. Wouldn't you go to the definition of the property and do the rename there? In the animation it looks like you're selecting a place where the property is being used and trying to rename it there. Actually, it looks more like a usage of an enum value, in which case you should rename the enum value at the place where the enum is defined. In either case, doing the rename at the source should also change all references to the old value in your code.

If you're just changing which enum to use there, then you shouldn't be using the rename field function at all.

All of the above is just based on what appears in the animation, so if I've misinterpreted, please disregard.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 6:55 PM
  • User61192 posted

@DaveHunt, I've tried renaming at the source and also at the usage with the same results. In the example I showed, I was renaming an enum value, but the same occurs for class properties or methods.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 11:05 AM
  • User42790 posted

@xCyborg said: Hi guys, can I develop iOS apps with Xamarin Studio on Windows?

No - it still only supports Android on Windows.

Monday, May 30, 2016 8:40 AM
  • User115707 posted

I think I found one issue. I try to run a test project of WCF. The project build fine. When I try to run it the server show Could not launch web server. There is no information associated about it. I'm running Xamarin version 6.0 (build 5166) in Windows 10 Home. I believe the issue is because it cannot find the xsp server. But, it should be inside the build. As appears in another image. Can anyone tell if this a bug or it is some issue in my configuration.

Friday, June 3, 2016 5:23 AM
  • User22401 posted

Is 6.0 stable enough to use for general use yet? Also, where do I get it? I see the first post of this thread was last edited on Jan 22, so how do I get the latest builds?

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 4:00 AM
  • User18049 posted

@RainerMager - The latest 6.0 builds are available on the beta channel.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 8:00 AM
  • User22401 posted

@mattward - Thanks. I installed it last night. It seems to be working well, although I found one minor bug that I filed.

I've found a few other bugs too. Is it better to post them here or file via bugzilla?

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 2:15 PM
  • User13824 posted

Is it better to post them here or file via bugzilla?

Bugzilla is preferred. Thanks! For the best tracking, you can use the "new bug" page that is specific to the Cycle 7 versions (including Xamarin Studio 6.0): https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/newbug?release=C7.

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 2:17 PM
  • User13824 posted

This thread has now been closed to direct all further updates about this release onto the latest announcement:

http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/68358/stable-release-cycle-7-feature-release/p1

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 2:18 PM