Deploying a Private In-House Application to Windows Phone 8? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there.

Our company in the past has developped applications for Windows Embedded Handheld devices for 6.0 and 6.5 where we just put together a CAB file and copy it to the device and run it and voila - we have a private and fully functional application on the mobile device.

So how can we go about putting a private in-house application to a Windows Phone 8 phone? I have a Windows 8 desktop with Visual Studio 2012 and the Windows Phone 8 SDK already installed. I have an application and a .XAP file (which I've put onto an SD card and onto the Windows Phone 8 phone, but it's not recognizing it).

I know that at some point I have to sign up for certification (the yearly $99 fee to be able to publish apps), but I would only do that in the certainty that we can do what it is that we are trying to do which is make apps privately available for our employees.

I appreciate any help and tips that can be provided.

Thank you very much,
    -Michael

Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Here is the official starting point:

Line of business apps and company hubs

Hope this helps,
    Mark

Mark Chamberlain Sr. Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Developer Support | Windows Phone 8

Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:12 PM
  • Michael,

So you have seen the response on LOB. Maybe that is more than you really want.

If you have a small company, you can ask for permission from MSFT to unlock more than a couple of phones with your dev account. You can also buy more dev accounts. See where I a going with that?

You have to dev unlock your phone(s) to be able to side load an application that is not in the store.

You can also publish an application into the store that will not show up in the searches etc. You can only find it with the URL. You do this by ticking a box during publish. You can further protect yourself by making the app only function for the users you want (though you do need to accommodate the publishing requirements and provide whatever is needed to the validation team to test your app).

Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Here is the official starting point:

Line of business apps and company hubs

Hope this helps,
    Mark

Mark Chamberlain Sr. Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Developer Support | Windows Phone 8

Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:12 PM
  • Michael,

So you have seen the response on LOB. Maybe that is more than you really want.

If you have a small company, you can ask for permission from MSFT to unlock more than a couple of phones with your dev account. You can also buy more dev accounts. See where I a going with that?

You have to dev unlock your phone(s) to be able to side load an application that is not in the store.

You can also publish an application into the store that will not show up in the searches etc. You can only find it with the URL. You do this by ticking a box during publish. You can further protect yourself by making the app only function for the users you want (though you do need to accommodate the publishing requirements and provide whatever is needed to the validation team to test your app).

Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:42 PM
  • Thank you both very much. So I looked into the Line of Business (LOB) process and it's what we have to go through. So there's the $99 yearly registration fee to join the program and for LOB if we wanted to be able to push out phones, it would cost $299 yearly for the Symantec certificate.

We get 3 devices to use as development devices which is interesting that you're saying we can ask for more. So I've registered my phone as a development phone and when I debugged the program I chose my phone as the device (having plugged it in first) instead of an emulator and now the app is on my phone so I can at least demonstrate it and see if the app works before paying the yearly certificate cost.

Thank you also for the workaround tips. Both of you have been very helpful.

I wish this information was more intuitive and organized by Microsoft - it shouldn't be so scattered and confusing. I also find these forums to be described in the same manner which is why I had to make my own post (which thankfully I was able to re-find by clicking on my name and seeing my posts (wish it alerted me of new responses by default too).

Regards,

-Michael

Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:33 PM