Difference between file.metadata and file.sync RRS feed

• Question

• Hi people,

I have a quesion about Microsoft Sync Framework, in my project I must do an application that can do a synchronitation of the files... .

I don't see many example but those that are online by microsoft, are not so similar... .

I have one sample that it work with replicaId.sync, knowledge.sync, Metadata.sync, Tickcount.sync and if I understand the logical functionning, the sync framework need these files to synchronize the folders, verify the changed files, ...

In the same example I add an object that it create, when the application run a "file.metadata" .

This "file.metadata" has the same objective of the other four file.sync (replicaId.sync, knowledge.sync, Metadata.sync, Tickcount.sync) ? This file (file.metadata) contain the same information? What is this file really?

Any idea, link to read for information or reponse please?

Thnaks in advanced

Ilan

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 1:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Ilan,

You are correct that all of these files are stores for information the Sync Framework needs to track various aspects of sync.  With the flexibility of the Sync Framework, the location and the way you store this information can change.  For example we also have a built in SQL metadata store that gives you the ability to store this metadata in a local store.  Additionally you can choose to store this information in your existing store (perhaps if you were synchronizing SQL databases).  To get some more detailed information about what all of these pieces do I would recommend that you take a look at the below whitepapers to get some more detailed information.  In your case the replicaid.sync file contains the unique id of that data store.  Tickcount.sync contains the next tickcount (incremental counter) to be used and assigned to a change.  Knowledge.sync is all of the knowledge gained from other data stores you have communicated with and Metadata.sync contains all of the actual item changes that are to be sent.

Introduction to the Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime
    Microsoft Sync Framework is a comprehensive synchronization platform that enables collaboration and offline access for applications, services and devices. Using Microsoft Sync Framework runtime, developers can build sync ecosystems that integrate any application, with any data from any store using any protocol over any network. This document will help you understand how the Microsoft Sync Framework enables synchronization to build a synchronization topology.
    Introducing Microsoft Sync Framework: Sync Services for File Systems
    Microsoft Sync Framework is a comprehensive synchronization platform that enables collaboration and offline access for applications, services and devices. Sync Services for File Systems is one of the providers included out-of-the-box that enables synchronization of files between devices. This document will explain the File Systems provider and provide a basis of understanding to learn how to build new providers to synchronize new data stores.

I hope that helps.

Liam

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:55 PM