Give Multinenant merchants ability to customize their website. RRS feed

• Question

• User-1204637165 posted

Dear All,

I have a web application were my merchants get websites on my application which is tied to their sub - domain.

Right now I want to the merchant to have the ability to be able to customize their website to their colors. 

With the ability for me to have multiple templates which merchants can get to choose from.

So right now I am abit confused on the right software architecture to use to deploy this requirement.

I want it to be flexible so that I can build developer UI apis for front end engineers so that I can get to open source the template design to the development community.

I currently have a default template that I have built already. 

Please what software architecture is best for this requirement.

Thanks.

Sunday, November 25, 2018 10:23 PM

Answers

• User475983607 posted

Sorry but this is not what am saying.

I mean I need a software architecture that would allow my merchants choose a template and brand it to their company colors.

MVC is extremely extensible.  I recommend that you purchase a book or research extensibility in MVC.

I would look into build a custom View Engine to apply themes based on the subdomain name.  

Also UI developers can get apis to build templates fro my platform.

This is a very vague requirement and beyond the scope of these forums IMHO.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2018 4:33 PM

All replies

• User1520731567 posted

Hi InspiredJide,

According to your description,it seems like WordPress's working mode.

But it's simply worth noting that WordPress uses an event-driven pattern, rather than the model-view-control panel.

Now, event-driven applications can have some of the same components - that is, they can have views and models or views and data objects - but they don't necessarily have a controller that's coordinating information from the front end to the back end.

Instead, event-driven programming works off of the premise that "something as happened." Hence the name for actions in the WordPress lingo (of course, we also have filters, but I'll cover those momentarily).

WordPress provides hooks which are literally points in execution in which we can introduce our own functionality such that WordPress recognizes that "when this event happens, I need to fire these functions" where these functions are defined as whatever we've provided.

The truth is, filters work the same way, but their purpose is different. In short, filters are actions that are meant for manipulating data (such as appending, prepending, removing, or updating the content) in some way before returning back to the application's execution.

More details, you could refer to:

https://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/wordpress-for-web-app-development-rethinking-architecture--wp-33880

Best Regards.

Yuki Tao

Monday, November 26, 2018 10:13 AM
  • User-1204637165 posted

I mean I need a software architecture that would allow my merchants choose a template and brand it to their company colors.

Monday, November 26, 2018 1:24 PM
  • User753101303 posted

Hi,

And it is based on a know CSS Framework such as Bootstrap ? This is quite vague but more lilely they should have a folder for their own assets and CSS file so that they can override the default.

Depending on  what you want you could also consider Something similar to https://getbootstrap.com/docs/3.3/customize/ which allows to customize bootstrap through a UI...

Monday, November 26, 2018 4:27 PM
  • User475983607 posted

MVC is extremely extensible.  I recommend that you purchase a book or research extensibility in MVC.

I would look into build a custom View Engine to apply themes based on the subdomain name.  

This is a very vague requirement and beyond the scope of these forums IMHO.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2018 4:33 PM