Lost contact with TFS in Solution Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• I have this one VS2010 Pro where all of a sudden it loses all contact with TFS as far as projects and files are concerned.

Team Explorer can connect and shows the server and projects.  Source Control Explorer shows the source files and the state of check in/out.  But in Solution Explorer, there is nothing!  The red check marks are gone, the blue locks are gone.  Right click a solution or project or file and there are no source control options. 

At first I thought the developer did something silly, so I abandoned the whole TFS project and created a new one.  It went ok for a few days and now the VS solution is disconnected again.

My TFS is on a standalone server, ie not in a domain.  The VS2010 PC connects over the network to TFS.  A local machine account on the server is used for the PC to connect to TFS.

Can someone help me to connect the solution to TFS again?  Thanks.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• You can check your source control bindings at file -> source control -> Change Source Control
    Ewald - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Ewald Hofman
    Blog: www.ewaldhofman.nl
    • Proposed as answer by aniketathalye Tuesday, October 23, 2012 5:28 PM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:44 AM
  • Hi K.Kong,

Thanks for posting the issue here!

In VS 2010, while you have the solution open in Solution Explorer, select File-> Source Control-> Change Source Control, could you click on Bind for each project/solution? Binding provides version control functionality. This includes various version control icons that indicate status in Solution Explorer.

Could you verify the project folder is mapped in your workspace?

In addition, all editions of Visual Studio 2010 support the source control integration feature but the Express Edition. So the VS2010 is not the problem.

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 9:15 AM
  • I did not mention explictly in my original post, and that was, the VS 2010 solution was working fine with TFS for a few days.  I could see the source control symbols in Solution Explorer and there was auto-check out upon edit, etc.  But after a few days, Solution Explorer lost everything that has got to do with TFS.  I can still check in/out, manually, using Source Control Explorer.

I have just clicked File -> Source Control -> Change Souce Control and it prompts: "The current solution is associated with source control but is offline.  Would you like to completely disassociate the solution from source control?"

Q1: What does it mean "is offline"?  I just went to Team Explorer and TFS looks fine.  I went to Source Control Explorer and everything appears fine.

Q2: What bad things would happen if I select Yes?

Thanks for all the help.

• Proposed as answer by joseph louis Saturday, February 2, 2013 4:29 PM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:31 AM
  • Hi K.Kong,

Change Source Control prompts: "The current solution is associated with source control but is offline.  Would you like to completely disassociate the solution from source control?" , because you did not perform the go online in Source Explorer.

If you select  Yes, then the solution will not related with TFS server, in the .sln file, there will have no  the item: SccTeamFoundationServer = http://cathykong:8080/tfs/defaultcollection, when you go online, the solution will need to add the source control again, and not related with the Previous versions.

When you right click the solution name in the Source Explore, can you select Go Online item? If you can, you can perform such as the check in/out operations.

Offline means if you cannot connect the TFS Server, you can also edit your solution, and when you connect the TFS Server, you can go online and perform the check in /check out.

There is a video about work offline with TFS, you can see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/bb898913.aspx

For more information, you can refer to

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/benryan/archive/2007/12/12/when-and-how-does-my-solution-go-offline.aspx

http://msmvps.com/blogs/p3net/pages/tfs-2010-in-offline-mode.aspx

and

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc667405(VS.90).aspx

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know!

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong

• Marked as answer by K.Kong Friday, October 29, 2010 12:33 AM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:07 PM
  • Thanks.  That was the problem.  The article by benryan was really useful.
    Friday, October 29, 2010 12:34 AM
  • Hi K.Kong,

I'm glad to hear your issue has solved.

Best Regards,

Cathy

Friday, October 29, 2010 3:33 AM
  • You can check your source control bindings at file -> source control -> Change Source Control
    Ewald - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Ewald Hofman
    Blog: www.ewaldhofman.nl
    That helps
    Alexander Yaremchuk
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:33 AM
  • Go online click , Fixed my problem.

Thank you very much!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:58 AM
  • The issue I have is what caused it to "go offline" while the TFS server remains up. I haven't opened this solution in 2 weeks or so.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:19 PM
  • Awesome!! That was what I needed. Many thanks!
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:12 PM