What is dynamic data good for??? RRS feed

• Question

• User1906504752 posted

I don't get the idea of the dynamic data?? What is it good for?

Friday, December 26, 2008 10:34 AM

Answers

• User541108374 posted

Hi,

to set up a website that exposes your database directly and in a very quick way. I don't use it for enterprise applications but rather for my administrative pages where I, or one of my colleagues, can quickly alter data without having to write sql statements myself. Also for the maintenance crew afterwards this can be a very handy tool.

Grz, Kris.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, December 26, 2008 11:43 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

Using it only for Admin is the obvious answer but not necessarily the right one. [:D]

The readl power of DD is hidden at first, until you dig around a bit these are my favoirite points:

1. Templating.
    2. Metadata (you can find out about your data without having to do too much work)
    3. that face that you code it once and only once [:D]
    4. Routing (I know it was originaly part of MVC but now its just another component of ASP.Net)

I would use DD for virtualy anything.

You can achive many goals that would be time consuming if you did it in the traditional way. And I still use traditional ASP.Net as well, what I would say is start using it and digg a bit read some of the blogs about it.

Hope this helps [:D]

Friday, December 26, 2008 12:30 PM
  • User660823006 posted

You have seen some replies that Dynamic Data is good for quickly building a website and that is part of it and a useful part of it. But Dynamic Data is much more then that. You can use Dynamic Data in any application that is using the main data controls in ASP.NET such as DetailsView, FormView, GridView and ListView. It adds the following functionality to these built in controls;

Templating - instead of being stuck with default rendering the controls are template based which you can alter the change the appearance

Validation - enabling dynamic data brings some default validation: limiting input based on field size in database, making non-nullable columns required and making sure the data is the proper type. Note this validation can be expanded by adding validation attributes such as Regex, Range, Required, etc...

Relationships - the controls understand the relationship fields in databases showing dropdown lists for foreign key columns.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, Dynamic Data is alot more the scaffolding.

Sunday, December 28, 2008 1:55 PM

All replies

• User541108374 posted

Hi,

to set up a website that exposes your database directly and in a very quick way. I don't use it for enterprise applications but rather for my administrative pages where I, or one of my colleagues, can quickly alter data without having to write sql statements myself. Also for the maintenance crew afterwards this can be a very handy tool.

Grz, Kris.

Friday, December 26, 2008 11:43 AM
  • User1906504752 posted

Thanks a lot.. I was also thinking that I should onlyuse it for administrativ pages.

but I was not that sure, 

Friday, December 26, 2008 11:51 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

Using it only for Admin is the obvious answer but not necessarily the right one. [:D]

The readl power of DD is hidden at first, until you dig around a bit these are my favoirite points:

1. Templating.
    2. Metadata (you can find out about your data without having to do too much work)
    3. that face that you code it once and only once [:D]
    4. Routing (I know it was originaly part of MVC but now its just another component of ASP.Net)

I would use DD for virtualy anything.

You can achive many goals that would be time consuming if you did it in the traditional way. And I still use traditional ASP.Net as well, what I would say is start using it and digg a bit read some of the blogs about it.

Hope this helps [:D]

Friday, December 26, 2008 12:30 PM
  • User660823006 posted

You have seen some replies that Dynamic Data is good for quickly building a website and that is part of it and a useful part of it. But Dynamic Data is much more then that. You can use Dynamic Data in any application that is using the main data controls in ASP.NET such as DetailsView, FormView, GridView and ListView. It adds the following functionality to these built in controls;

Templating - instead of being stuck with default rendering the controls are template based which you can alter the change the appearance

Validation - enabling dynamic data brings some default validation: limiting input based on field size in database, making non-nullable columns required and making sure the data is the proper type. Note this validation can be expanded by adding validation attributes such as Regex, Range, Required, etc...

Relationships - the controls understand the relationship fields in databases showing dropdown lists for foreign key columns.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, Dynamic Data is alot more the scaffolding.

Sunday, December 28, 2008 1:55 PM