How to see who is being throttled and why? RRS feed

• Question

• We've implemented throttling by session token.  We do not require a subscription to access our api.  I'm seeing that there are blocked requests happening via the Analytics section of the site.  However,  all the calls are grouped under Anonymous since we don't require a subscription.  Is there anyway to see the details of what calls were blocked, the ip address of the person executing the blocked call and what policy caused the call to be blocked?  The analytics portion of the system doesn't give us enough information to determine these things.   

Thanks,

Nick

Monday, April 18, 2016 3:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Nick,

When a request is throttled, the <on-error> section will be executed. You can use send-request or log-to-eventhub policies in the section to log those events. 

• Proposed as answer by Swikruti Bose Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nick Weg Saturday, April 30, 2016 1:46 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 8:54 PM

All replies

• Hello Nick,

Thank you posting here!

I found one article, that describes how to request throttling in Azure API by using custom key. Please go through the link, that might help you.

By that time, we are researching more on this query and will get back to you with an update.

Regards,

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 12:36 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  We have implemented "User Identity Throttling" as outlined in the link you sent me.  That article doesn't answer my question though.  I need a way to figure out who is being throttled and by what policy expression.  One of the use cases for this is we might want to disable an account or block an IP Address if a user keeps hitting our throttling limits.  Any ideas?  

Thanks,

Nick

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 2:56 PM
  • Hi Nick,

When a request is throttled, the <on-error> section will be executed. You can use send-request or log-to-eventhub policies in the section to log those events. 

• Proposed as answer by Swikruti Bose Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nick Weg Saturday, April 30, 2016 1:46 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 8:54 PM