To MS guys: Daily scheduled DB export failed today. Why? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

Daily export is made for our Production database. Today it failed. Why is it so? How could it be resolved?

Start Time: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12:06:07 PM
    End Time: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12:06:48 PM
    Subscription ID: 66f324c3-9846-4914-a835-e70db4d74ea8
    Server Name: ...
    Database Name: AutomatedSqlExport_..._20140826T080004Z
    Operation Name: Export
    Operation ID: a0ff0089-c150-4b0c-8d86-fabe660d3d0e
    Details: Error encountered during the service operation. 
    Could not export schema and data from database.
    One or more errors occurred.
    The service has encountered an error processing your request. Please try again. Error code 40174.
    A severe error occurred on the current command.  The results, if any, should be discarded.
    Cannot open database "AutomatedSqlExport_..._20140826T080004Z" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user '...'.
    This session has been assigned a tracing ID of '4ac34046-3b02-45d3-b10b-9039efcce616'.  Provide this tracing ID to customer support when you need assistance.
    Cannot open database "AutomatedSqlExport_..._20140826T080004Z" requested by the login. The login failed.
    This session has been assigned a tracing ID of 'bbdd4d02-d55e-4a04-847a-b26e16a3f682'.  Provide this tracing ID to customer support when you need assistance.
    This session has been assigned a tracing ID of 'f5291c73-1769-416f-9d66-2c0768712e3c'.  Provide this tracing ID to customer support when you need assistance.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:03 AM

Answers

• Asking again:

Every retry will cost us money for one more database. Is it correct?

Can we somehow hook on automated export finish (successful or failed) to inform system administrator? 

WBR,

Sergei.

Hi serg_stone,

When an automated export is performed, Windows Azure will first do a full copy of your database to a temporary database prior to creating the .bacpac file. As a result, you will be charged for this database copy on the day that you run the export. Since databases are charged by the day, if you were to export every day, you could in theory double your database costs. 

For SQL Azure database pricing details, I recommend you contact with a billing supporter, open a Billing Support Ticket. They will be able to check this for you.

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/options/

If you configure automated export of SQL Azure database, if the backups are not created or other error, as an administrator for an Azure subscription, you will get reporting email .

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Mekh Subba Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:06 AM
    Thursday, September 4, 2014 2:17 AM

All replies

• Hi serg_stone,

According to your error message, we need to verify if the daily scheduled database exports are executed successfully before today. If yes, please confirm if you change the password or login name of Server. I recommend you export manually database from Azure SQL database, verify that the database name, Blob Storage Account, destination Container, and host Server information is correct for the SQL database you want to export and check if it can run well.

Usually, The error code 40174 is actually an internal error code. It should be translated to 40197. This issue occurs because of a transient error encountered during a reconfiguration/failover on the backend. To resolve this issue, wait a short period and retry. No support case is required unless the issue remains persistent.

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 2:42 AM
  • Hi Sofiya,

Thank you for your prompt response. All previous days exports were successful. No passwords, logins or other related data were changed. We are waiting for today's export results (our export is scheduled on 8am UTC).

Do we have any ability to retry auto-export? I suppose, no. And also every retry will cost us money for one more database. Is it correct?

Can we somehow hook on automated export finish (successful or failed) to inform system administrator? Otherwise, this is pseudo-automated feature, because one needs to monitor if it fails or not on daily basis. This is not best approach.

WBR,

Sergei.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:40 AM
  • Asking again:

Can we somehow hook on automated export finish (successful or failed) to inform system administrator? 

WBR,

Sergei.

• Edited by serg_stone Wednesday, September 3, 2014 1:00 PM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2014 1:00 PM
  • Asking again:

WBR,

Sergei.

Hi serg_stone,

When an automated export is performed, Windows Azure will first do a full copy of your database to a temporary database prior to creating the .bacpac file. As a result, you will be charged for this database copy on the day that you run the export. Since databases are charged by the day, if you were to export every day, you could in theory double your database costs. 

For SQL Azure database pricing details, I recommend you contact with a billing supporter, open a Billing Support Ticket. They will be able to check this for you.

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/options/

If you configure automated export of SQL Azure database, if the backups are not created or other error, as an administrator for an Azure subscription, you will get reporting email .

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li

• Marked as answer by Mekh Subba Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:06 AM
    Thursday, September 4, 2014 2:17 AM
  • Sofiya,

Thanks for clarification.

I know that automated export charges for the database it creates.

What I meant was that if export fails, the process drops copy of database, so if I re-run automated export, I will be charged for one more database. If it fails, I need to run 3rd time and so on.

Okay, I got it.

Thanks,

Sergei.

Thursday, September 4, 2014 7:12 AM