none
Question about creating an image repository RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

I wasn't sure where this should go, so I posted it in the general group for now, but I'm happy to move the discussion somewhere else if it is more appropriate.

I have a small program I've built to manage project tracking and I want to have a section to manage image resources.  My problem is that it will contain hundereds of thousands of images and I'm not sure how best to approach that.  They would all be small (under 10 kb), but I wasn't sure if I should store all of this in a SQL database, or something different?

I'm kind of envisioning it being a little like Microsoft's discontinued Expression Media, where it could hold and display a lot of images at once.

Any thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hello,

There are advanages and disadvantages to storing images in the file system vs. storing images in the database. A decent and simple overview can be found here. Note that using file streaming takes some time to configure but that should not be seen as a disadvantage just good to know. If there are security concerns and performance concerns the two can easily compete against one and other as on a local box images are more secure in the database but performance may end up being an issue which leads to properly setting up the SQL Server.

SQL-Server vs MS-Access? Hands down with that many images would not consider MS-Access.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 5:29 PM
  • Where are the images now? If they are stored on disk somewhere then there is no benefit in loading them into a DB. However if they are related to data you already have in a DB somewhere (like a product catalog) then it makes sense to store the images there. 

As for how to render the images you will almost certainly want to use some sort of virtual control that allows you to load only the images you need to display at any one time. It completely depends upon the UI framework you're using for that though. For WPF you should post in the Windows Presentation Foundation forums. They can show you the control(s) available to lazy load data such as images. For WinForms you'll need to post in the Windows Forms forum. They can do the same thing.

Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 5:36 PM