After opening the report how to refresh the form to show the update values in VB.NET RRS feed

• Question

• User-1578974752 posted

In my vb.net button click,

1 stored procedure call (change the status of the form to Approved) ,1 email , 1 report with Open option as below

Response.AppendHeader("Content-Disposition", ("attachment; filename=" + Path.GetFileName(String.Format("C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Ttt\Ttst\Reports\Slip\SlipReport{0}.pdf", Convert.ToString(delsearch.Text)))))

' Response.Redirect(Request.RawUrl)

Response.WriteFile(String.Format("C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Ttt\Ttst\Reports\slip\SlipReport{0}.pdf", Convert.ToString(delsearch.Text)))

and at last

Response.Redirect(Request.RawUrl)

My issue is ,If I place Response.Redirect(Request.RawUrl), updated status is showing in the form ,but the report ,Response.WriteFile is not happening.

If I avoid ,Response.Redirect(Request.RawUrl) ,then report is opening but status of the form is not changing.

How can I make such that report will open and the form will refresh so that the Approved status will be shown. Appreciate the help as  I am struggling for this for long time..

Thanks

Friday, January 3, 2020 9:05 AM

All replies

• User281315223 posted

By default, ASP.NET will take any Response.Write / Response.Redirect methods and immediately flush the response using that approach. So you have to choose to either explicitly use either `Response.Redirect()` or `Respone.WriteFile()` on their own.

Do you have any additional code related to this? One consideration might be to explicitly update your file (instead of using `Response.WriteFile()`) and then after it's been updated, set to to be appended via an attachment header as you currently are.

Friday, January 3, 2020 9:00 PM
  • User-1578974752 posted

Actually, the stored procedure, will update the status in grid view and the form.

Explicitly update your file-> Can pls inform how to implement this.

Thanks

Monday, January 6, 2020 2:17 AM
  • User288213138 posted

Hi shsu,

My issue is ,If I place Response.Redirect(Request.RawUrl), updated status is showing in the form ,but the report ,Response.WriteFile is not happening.

Do you want to execute the Response.WriteFile () method after refreshing the page?

If so, you can try to use javascript function location.reload() to refresh the page.

<script>
            function refresh() {
                location.reload();
            }
        </script>

Response.AppendHeader("Content-Disposition", ("attachment; filename=" + Path.GetFileName(String.Format("C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Ttt\Ttst\Reports\Slip\SlipReport{0}.pdf", Convert.ToString(delsearch.Text)))))

ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(this.GetType(), "refresh", "refresh();", true);
    Response.WriteFile(String.Format("C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Ttt\Ttst\Reports\slip\SlipReport{0}.pdf", Convert.ToString(delsearch.Text)))

The Response.Redirect() function will cause the code to stop executing by throwing a System.Threading.ThreadAbortException.

Best regards,

Sam

Monday, January 6, 2020 9:16 AM
  • User-1578974752 posted

Thanks, I am using vb.net . Here this is showing error in ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(this.GetType(), "refresh", "refresh()", true)  when I tried as

ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(this.GetType(), "refresh", "refresh()", true)

Can help to covert to vb.net please. Telerik coverter showing error.

ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(this.GetType(), "refresh", "refresh();", true);

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 9:52 AM
  • User288213138 posted

Hi shsu,

Can help to covert to vb.net please.

Try this code:

ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(Me.GetType, "refresh", "refresh();", True)

Best regards,

Sam

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 9:59 AM
  • User-1578974752 posted

still not working. Report is opening but refreshing page is not happening.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 1:23 AM
  • User288213138 posted

Shsu,

Report is opening but refreshing page is not happening.

Please debug your code to see if ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript (Me.GetType, "refresh", "refresh ();", True) is triggered.

Best regards,

Sam

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 1:44 AM
  • User-1578974752 posted

actually ,Debugger is going through that code with out any error.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 2:55 AM
  • User288213138 posted

Hi shsu,

actually ,Debugger is going through that code with out any error.

<script>
            function refresh() {
                location.reload();
            }
        </script>

This js function is also called? can you share your complete code?

Best regards,

Sam

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 3:04 AM
  • User-1578974752 posted

<script type="text/javascript">

function refresh() {

location.reload();

}

</script>

Response.AppendHeader("Content-Disposition", ("attachment; filename=" + Path.GetFileName(String.Format("C:\inetpub\wwwroot\zxc\zxyService\Reports\Slip\SlipReport{0}.pdf", Convert.ToString(delsearch.Text)))))

Response.WriteFile(String.Format("C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wwwroot\zxc\zxyService\Reports\Slip\SlipReport{0}.pdf", Convert.ToString(delsearch.Text)))

Other codes are email trigger and 2 sp calls. only the report opening code was having the issue with refreshing the page. 

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 3:08 AM
  • User288213138 posted

Hi shsu,

Response.AppendHeader("Content-Disposition", ("attachment; filename=" + Path.GetFileName(String.Format("C:\inetpub\wwwroot\zxc\zxyService\Reports\Slip\SlipReport{0}.pdf", Convert.ToString(delsearch.Text)))))

Response.WriteFile(String.Format("C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wwwroot\zxc\zxyService\Reports\Slip\SlipReport{0}.pdf", Convert.ToString(delsearch.Text)))

Are these methods in the button click event? If so, the page will keep refreshing.

How can I make such that report will open and the form will refresh so that the Approved status will be shown.

Your code is to refresh the page and then Response.WriteFile. Does this make any sense? Or do you have other special needs?

Can you tell me how did you display the approved status? 

Best regards,

Sam

Thursday, January 16, 2020 4:03 AM
  • User-1578974752 posted

Hi

If response.rawurl I didn't specify then ,I cannot show the updated values in the form.[Because -> from summary form I am showing lot of values In to the current form which user will update with the button click.

but

is preventing the refreshing.

Friday, January 17, 2020 2:00 AM
  • User288213138 posted

Hi shsu,

The button click event will refresh automatically, please show me how do you update the value?

Best regards,

Sam

Friday, January 17, 2020 7:36 AM