none
Submitting bugs for SDL Threat Modeling Tool RRS feed

• Question

• I love the concept of the SDL Threat Modeling Tool, and I have used it now to produce several threat models.  I am using the latest and greatest version (3.1.4).  However, I have noticed quite a few bugs that make it difficult or annoying to use the tool in a production environment.  Is there any way for external (non-Microsoft) users to submit bugs about the SDL Threat Modeling Tool to Microsoft?  Note that I have a MSDN subscription, if that helps.

Thanks.
    • Moved by Hengzhe Li Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:03 PM Forum Consolidate (From:Microsoft Security Development Lifecycle (SDL) - Threat Modeling)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:57 PM

Answers

• Hey Matthew,

Ya, there currently isn't a section for the SDL tool in Connect.Microsoft.com to do this.

If you submit your bugs here on this thread I will make sure they get passed on to the team responsible for it. If you are uncomfortable in reporting them in public, send them to me privately at dana(a)vulscan.com and I will personally triage them and get them to the person responsible for it.

Thank you in advance for providing input and helping to make the tool better!
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:02 PM
  • The SDL TM tool version 3.1.8 supports Visio 2010. Please download it from here - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=2955
    Ashish Popli
    • Marked as answer by Ashish Popli Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:50 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:50 PM

All replies

• Hey Matthew,

Ya, there currently isn't a section for the SDL tool in Connect.Microsoft.com to do this.

If you submit your bugs here on this thread I will make sure they get passed on to the team responsible for it. If you are uncomfortable in reporting them in public, send them to me privately at dana(a)vulscan.com and I will personally triage them and get them to the person responsible for it.

Thank you in advance for providing input and helping to make the tool better!
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:02 PM
  • Thank you, I will send them to you.

Regards,
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 10:58 PM
  • Latest SDLTM doesn't works with Visio 2010 Beta.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 10:19 PM
  • Oh really? I will have to check that out Ivan. I didn't know that. That could be bad.

I am seeing Adam tomorrow and will see if his team is aware of that and working on a fix.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:49 PM
  • I've installed the latest SDL Threat Modeling Tool on two different systems:

First System: Windows 7 (x86) + Office 2010 Beta (x86) + Visio 2010 Beta (x86)

Second System: Windows 7 (x64) + Office 2010 Beta (x86) + Visio 2010 Beta (x86)

On the first system the SDL TMT works (I previously had Visio 2007 installed and upgraded to 2010 Beta); on the second system I get an error message and the SDL TMT says "The tool encountered a serious problem and needs to close. Verify that Microsoft Visio 2007 is installed." It gives instructions on posting the sdltm.log file however it never creates that file.  The only difference I see (beyond the x64 vs. x86 Windows 7 installs) is that the First System was an upgrade to the Visio 2010 Beta from Visio 2007 and the second system was a fresh install (I never had Office 2007 or Visio 2007 installed on that system).  Is there a fix?

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:56 PM
  • The SDL TM tool is not currently compatible with Visio 2010. You will need to install Visio 2007 if you wish to use the tool.
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:19 AM
  • Will Visio 2010 be supported? If so, when will this be? Working with the tool for some time now, but currently we are upgrading to office  2010 and visio 2010 and cannot get the tool working.

Friday, June 4, 2010 5:15 AM
  • Make it +1 for Visio 2010 support.

I can confirm the tool doesn't work on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with Office 2010 / Visio 2010 x64.

Not a good advert for Microsoft to have tools that won't run on the latest generation products.

This tool may well be an ideal candidate for a rewrite as a WPF version and remove the dependency on Visio versions. Just a thought.

The older Microsoft Threat Analysis & Modeling v2.1.2 tool still appears to work. Not really tested it out but at least it starts up.

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, September 5, 2010 9:18 AM
  • Hi Dana

If this is the place for bugs, then I have one that is killing us.

Everytime we try to create as new DFD layer by right clicking on the an object and selecting "Include in Next Layer", the app crashes. The message is "The tool encountered a serious problem and needs to close. Please report this problem by posting the file sdltm.log to http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sdlthreatmodeling/threads/"

It doesn't matter what model I use; even the sample models included with the sdltm tool do this. Attaching the log file to this post doesn't seem to be an option, so here is the file:

SDLTM.exe Information: 0 : TM change notification, SDLTM.UserSettings.Globals, ThreatModelReset
        Timestamp=676388473623
    SDLTM.exe Information: 0 : Loading model.
        Timestamp=676388478803
    SDLTM.exe Information: 0 : TM change notification, SDLTM.UI.Analyze.AnalyzeTools, DiagramShapeRefreshRequired
        Timestamp=676389863481
    SDLTM.exe Information: 0 : TM change notification, SDLTM.UI.Analyze.AnalyzeTools, ThreatModelConnectionRefreshRequired
        Timestamp=676389873480
    SDLTM.exe Information: 0 : TM change notification, SDLTM.UI.Model.ModelTools, ThreatModelConnectionRefreshRequired
        Timestamp=676398107277
    SDLTM.exe Information: 0 : TM change notification, SDLTM.UI.Model.ModelTools, DiagramTreeChanged
        Timestamp=676403046168
    SDLTM.exe Information: 0 : TM change notification, SDLTM.UI.Model.ModelTools, ThreatModelConnectionRefreshRequired
        Timestamp=676405928767

FYI, the system is Windows 7 Pro (x64) + Office 2007 and Visio 2007 SP2. The SDLTM is version 3.1.4

Help greatly appreciated!

eric

Eric Byres P.Eng Chief Technology Officer Tofino Security Inc. Tel 250 390 1333 | eric@byressecurity.com Makers of Tofino™ | tofinosecurity.com Visit our blog: Practical SCADA Security Follow Eric Byres on Twitter
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 11:44 PM
  • Oops never mind - I see you know about this bug... Any ETA?

Thanks

Eric Byres P.Eng Chief Technology Officer Tofino Security Inc. Tel 250 390 1333 | eric@byressecurity.com Makers of Tofino™ | tofinosecurity.com Visit our blog: Practical SCADA Security Follow Eric Byres on Twitter
    Sunday, December 5, 2010 11:48 PM
  • The SDL TM tool is not currently compatible with Visio 2010. You will need to install Visio 2007 if you wish to use the tool.

We're now 9 months since Office 2010 RTM'd and 8 months since Dana Epp was going to ask about compatibility with Visio 2010! Are there any timescales to report when the SDL TM tool will works with their latest and greatest Office product? A little info would be highly appreciated, even if it is to say "***expletive deleted***" from the Microsoft TM tool team :-).

Thank you.

Thursday, January 6, 2011 9:29 PM

We're now 9 months since Office 2010 RTM'd and 8 months since Dana Epp was going to ask about compatibility with Visio 2010! Are there any timescales to report when the SDL TM tool will works with their latest and greatest Office product? A little info would be highly appreciated, even if it is to say "***expletive deleted***" from the Microsoft TM tool team :-).

Thank you.

Please add another voice crying in the wilderness for Visio 2010 compatibility.  Can we get something other than silence on this query?
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:13 PM
  • The SDL TM tool version 3.1.8 supports Visio 2010. Please download it from here - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=2955
    Ashish Popli
    • Marked as answer by Ashish Popli Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:50 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Greetings Microsoft folks,

I've been using the SDLTM for the past 6 months and I've noted there are some bugs (some of these may be "features") that are troublesome and frustrating.  You may well be aware of some of these issues, such as:

• Losing the descriptive text entered for "Do not auto generate threats for this element because"
    • Errors about orphaned objects when opening the .TMS file

Has a list been established for tracking known bugs with the tool?

Do you have a timeframe for another update?

I love the tool, and so does our customer... but it's in need of some updates.  I'd be happy to work with you on bugs as I continue working.  Thanks!

Thursday, January 10, 2013 3:33 PM