A problem has been encountered while loading the setup components. Canceling setup.

Question

• Running WinXP Pro SP2. Downloaded the offline/network installer for Visual C++ 2005 Express and extracted the image's files like the Manual Install instructions tell me to with ISOBuster. I get the following error when I try to run setup.exe and autorun.exe:

A problem has been encountered while loading the setup components. Canceling setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, November 09, 2005 10:19 PM

Answers

• Using IsoBuster: Pick one of the image icons (open tree) other than ISO from the left pane. The right pane will show the long file names. Ctrl-A, right click, Extract to a folder. Then use whatever to get the files on CD if desired of install directly from extracted files.

I did an IsoBuster help search for 8.3 and the first hit describes the possible formats. Not sure what format I used (purple icon) but it seemed to work OK - I just use autorun and things are happening.
    Monday, November 28, 2005 9:57 PM
  • Okay, I got it working by extracting the CD image to .bin and burning it. To read on how I did this using ISOBuster, follow the link below:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=130531&SiteID=1

I didn't have any beta's installed but I did have some of Office 2000 installed (Word and Excel) as well as Visual C++ 6.0.

/Saad

Thursday, November 10, 2005 3:25 PM
  • This is something to do with default settings on ISOBuster... it extracts with 8.3 filenames... hence the setup program can't find them...

I didn't have the time or patience to figure out the settings, so I just used MagicISO, which extracted them fine and I now have a full install set which works OK :-)
    Thursday, November 24, 2005 9:41 AM

All replies

• Hi! I have the same problem with Visual C# and Visual WebDev!

Can the img files be corrupted?
    Thursday, November 10, 2005 1:36 AM
  • Do you still have any beta versions installed? 
    Thursday, November 10, 2005 4:51 AM
  • I have a fresh Win XP SP2 (Brazilian Portuguese) installation with All Updates from Windows Update!

No Beta, No Office, No others applications!

Now I installed the Visual C# with the Internet Installation! Works Fine!

But the Visual WebDev will not install with the offline installation!

Thursday, November 10, 2005 10:07 AM
  • Okay, I got it working by extracting the CD image to .bin and burning it. To read on how I did this using ISOBuster, follow the link below:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=130531&SiteID=1

I didn't have any beta's installed but I did have some of Office 2000 installed (Word and Excel) as well as Visual C++ 6.0.

/Saad

Thursday, November 10, 2005 3:25 PM
  • This is something to do with default settings on ISOBuster... it extracts with 8.3 filenames... hence the setup program can't find them...

I didn't have the time or patience to figure out the settings, so I just used MagicISO, which extracted them fine and I now have a full install set which works OK :-)
    Thursday, November 24, 2005 9:41 AM
  • I couldn't find the ISOBuster settings to change that either, and the MagicISO trial version is crippleware and won't burn CDs over 300meg.  But it was willing to extract the files properly.

Sunday, November 27, 2005 10:45 AM
  • Using IsoBuster: Pick one of the image icons (open tree) other than ISO from the left pane. The right pane will show the long file names. Ctrl-A, right click, Extract to a folder. Then use whatever to get the files on CD if desired of install directly from extracted files.

I did an IsoBuster help search for 8.3 and the first hit describes the possible formats. Not sure what format I used (purple icon) but it seemed to work OK - I just use autorun and things are happening.
    Monday, November 28, 2005 9:57 PM
  • Thanks Bob
    Friday, December 09, 2005 8:04 PM
  • Upgrading ISOBuster from 1.9 to 2.4 resolved this issue for me. 

Monday, October 06, 2008 1:06 PM
  • Using Daemon Tools (I am using 4.30.0) I found that switching all emulation options on corrected the "A problem has been encountered while loading the setup components. Canceling setup" error.
    Wednesday, October 08, 2008 7:30 PM
  • None of these solutions are acceptible. This is a serious problem, affecting a lot of people, and Microsoft should be far more diligent in proving a solution that does not require the end-user to go through bizarre hoops and hacks.

Hey Microsoft: Your installer/uninstaller for Visual Studio 2008 is BROKEN. Please fix it, and please post and document the fix.

Monday, November 24, 2008 11:25 PM
  • Hi,
    I struggled with this forever too. and I agree that we shouldn't have to use third party tools and burn to dvds , etc.. to unsinstall the software.

I could not uninstall the trial version of visual studio 2008 team edition, until finally I figured it out.

you have to make sure you uninstall any update for Visual studio before you try to unsinstall Visual studio itself.

so I went to control panel, and I clicked to view Windows updates and I found "Hot Fix for Visual Studio 2008" update.
    I uninstalled it and now I can uninstall Visual Studio without a problem.

If you do not have any updates, try to uninstall the visual studio related programs in Control panel before trying to uninstall Visual studio itself. Leave Visual studio as the last component to uninstall.

In my case, uninstalling the update alone was sufficient.

I hope this helps

George
    Monday, December 01, 2008 1:43 PM
  •  worb wrote:

None of these solutions are acceptible. This is a serious problem, affecting a lot of people, and Microsoft should be far more diligent in proving a solution that does not require the end-user to go through bizarre hoops and hacks.

I fully agree. I tried to update VSTS2008 with additional components. I had KB955214 (Silverlight Hotfix) and KB945140 (SP1) installed which I first had to uninstall to get rid of this very user unfriendly, non self-explanatory error message.

Monday, December 01, 2008 2:32 PM
  • I also agree with the above remedy. and successfully uninstalled my VS.net 2008 Team Suite Trial version..

Thanks to you all.

Nitin

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 2:52 PM
  • Hi all,

George's advice is the best solution. It is the main root and the simplest solution.

Thanks

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:32 AM
  • +1!!
    Wednesday, January 07, 2009 3:51 PM
  • George's solution worked for me. Thanks
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:33 AM
  • I don't know what's up with updates for VS 2008, I tried to install SP1, and it caused problems, and Here is another problem caused by hot Fix. I think these updates should be tested before they are announced. anyway, thank you George for your solution.

Ahmed Abdelsalam
    Friday, January 16, 2009 5:52 PM
  • Hi,

I'm seeing the same message when trying to install either Visual C++ express or C# express.  I'm running on a bare Windows 7 Beta install (64-bit).  I originally used these installs on the PDC version of Win7, but trying them on the Beta release gives me this error and I'm unable to install.

Looking through the event log, I couldn't find any clues as to why the installer craps out.  This is a bare OS install, no previous versions of Visual Studio at all.  The only other installed dev tool is eclipse. 

I also tried the web-based installs for Visual C++, and received the same error, so I don't believe it has anything to do with the DVD or it's contents.

Any ways to debug this?

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:05 AM
  • I am having the same issue as kevin.

Running on Windows 7 beta x64, trying to install vs 2008, have also tried c# express. same error. tried running in compat mode for xp and vista and even as admin. Has anyone else got either of these working under 64 bit 7?
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 9:32 AM
  • Hi! I've had the same problem on Windows 7 x64 Beta. Through Google I found the "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility". When I started this utility as administrator, it crashed. I got a troubleshoot window with the following instructions:

Solve a problem with Windows 7 beta

An issue with the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) client in Windows 7 beta is causing Explorer and some MSI-based installers to stop working properly.

To solve this problem, follow these steps:

1. Click the Start button , click All Programs, and then click Accessories.

2. Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. In the User Account Control window, verify that Program name is Windows Command Processor, and then click Yes.

3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type or paste the following text at the prompt:

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions /va /f

4. Press Enter to install the solution.

5. If The operation completed successfully displays, close the Administrator: Command Prompt window to complete this procedure. If "ERROR: Access is denied" displays, repeat this procedure from the top, making sure you clicked Run as administrator in step two.

After following these instructions, the Visual Web Developer 2008 Express SP1 setup worked. I'm not sure whether you need to run the cleanup utility. But this seems to be a good solution for installing VS2008.

..Stefan
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 11:21 AM
  • This helps me. I checked the hot fixes for VS 2008 and found one is installed there. I uninstalled that hot fix first which let me uninstalled the VS 2008 too.Thank you very much for the solution.
    DotNet Newbies
    Friday, March 20, 2009 4:09 PM
  • I encountered this problem while trying to update my existing VS2008 installation.

I was able to use 'Programs and Features' to select 'Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 - ENU' and 'Uninstall/Change' to allow the setup prerequisites to load properly and modify my installation.
    asd
    • Proposed as answer by arachnode.net Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:04 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:04 PM
  • Thank George very much!

I was resolve my problem.
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 2:56 AM
  • The hot fix uninstalling also ended with an error and did rollback!

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:25 PM
  • The hot fix uninstalling also ended with an error and did rollback!

Actually, I found this page, official from microsoft that has an automatic uninstaller that does the hard work. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vs2008/bb968856.aspx
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:32 PM
  • George's solution worked for me.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:35 PM
  • George175's solution worked for me.  After uninstalling three Visual Studio 2008 hotfixes I was able to uninstall VS 2008 itself.
    Andre Galitsky, MS-Certified SharePoint Administrator, Lexington, KY -- My SharePoint Blog: http://www.sharepointnomad.com
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:25 PM
  • Uninstalling the SP1 from Windows Update fixed the problem for me.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 7:36 PM
  • Best and simplest solution is download this small install utility by MS..and rest it will do.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/114332/visual-studio-setup-problem-a-problem-has-been-encountered-while-loading-the-s

Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:47 PM
  • i know this is an old post, but it helped me!  george's finding is the answer
    Monday, November 01, 2010 6:06 PM
  • Likewise - Uninstalling security KBs and SP1 resolved the issue. Thanks.
    Core 2 Duo E6600, 2Gb Ram, 8800 GTX
    Friday, January 14, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Thanks asd. That solved my problem.

Monday, March 21, 2011 11:53 AM
  • It worked for me and helped me. Thanks a lot.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:52 AM