none
Add google calendar to expression 4 website RRS feed

• Question

• How do I add a google calendar to Expression web 4 website. I have copied the google calendar code that they say to copy and pasted into the page and place I want it. I publish the website and see only the code I pasted in. I see the same thing when I past in a Google map.
    Friday, November 16, 2012 5:39 AM

All replies

• This problem requires a link to the faulty page to see what you have pasted, and how you pasted it.
    Code should be pasted in Code view (or the code pane in split view).

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Friday, November 16, 2012 9:04 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.  The website is: www.MontessoriAcademies.net  . The page that I put the code in is: http://www.montessoriacademies.net/montessori_preparatory_school_Calendar.html
    Friday, November 16, 2012 4:06 PM
  • You pasted the code into Design View.  Code needs to go in Code View.

You are also using stuff from Word (or FrontPage) that doesn't mean anything to most browsers, including VML graphics ...

<v:shapetype
     id="_x0000_t76" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t"
     path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f">
     <v:stroke joinstyle="miter" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"/>
     <v:formulas>
      <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"/>
      <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"/>
      <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"/>
      <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"/>
      <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"/>
      <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"/>
      <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"/>
      <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"/>
      <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"/>
      <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"/>
      <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"/>
      <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"/>
     </v:formulas>
     <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect" xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"/>
     <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"/>
    </v:shapetype>

and nonsense tags:

<o:p></o:p>
    You might want to consider a general clean up.
    Friday, November 16, 2012 4:24 PM
  • As I mentioned - it looks as if you pasted the code into Design view. This will display the code.  Paste it into Code view instead.
     Off topic
    - Word is not a good web editor.  Design and edit your pages in Expression Web (or even FrontPage).  Then you will not get silly things like

... mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt">

This may mean something to a printer - but is means nothing to a web browser.

Also, get rid of the VML graphics - it is not rendering in IE10, and will never render in FireFox, Safari or other (non-IE) browsers.

In images - longdesc is intended to used as a link to a page describing the image.  You should use the title attribute instead.

Finally, I have heard of forward planning but I think "SCHOOL CALENDAR 2012-20133" is planning 18000 years too far ahead. (There are lots more examples of the last character being repeated in each
    paragraph or table cell, and several other [in my opinion] design errors.)

Ron Symonds

Friday, November 16, 2012 4:42 PM
  • Thank you KathyW2.

Yes I did paste the code into the Design so I know where I want the google calendar to be. I used the Expression SPLIT view so I can see the Design view AND the Code view. I see the google calendar code does show up in the Expression code view when I paste the google code into the Desing view. Now, I will now take out the google code from the page and past the code into the Expression code view. How do I know where to paste the google code in Expression code view so the google calender will show up where it need to be?

On the VML graphics. I did make the Gold in a vector program. I then saved it as a jpg and then opened it in Adobe to put the text in and saved it as a jpg.

There is nothing from Word or the old FrontPage.

Yes I would like to Clean up the website. For some reason Expression made a page with underscores in the page name. I do not make pages with underscores in in. So I was going to rename those pages.

What is the best way to Clean Up the website?

I am looking at the window you are showing with the ( v.f eqn= and so on ).  Is this junk that I can take out to clean up the website? In this window I donot see a google calendar code.

Friday, November 16, 2012 5:09 PM
  • Thank You Ronx.

I donot do anything with WORD. I use Expression 4 and Adobe and my vector program to make the gold logos. In the vector program I drop the layers and save it as a jpg. I then open the file in Adobe photoshop and do the text and save as a jpg and reduce the file size. 

20133,,,,,, on my..... This come from doing the text over and over while I keep trying to get the google code to work right... I will go over it all very carefully and catch all of that. Thank you for pointing that out. I will get it right.

" Get rid of the VML graphics " These are my logos and people love to see Gold 3D/2D logos. I save them as jpg tho.

... mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt"> WOW,,, You think this came from a Word porgram?

I do pick up pictures from the school when they send them to me my e-mail. Should I open each picture in adobe and save them as a jpg. I do open many of the photographd the school sends me and Adobe and correct the coolr and crop then and reduce the file size and save them as a jpg. However many are just as they send them to me and YES I do think they are using WORD. Do I need to open every one sent to me from the school and Adobe and save as jpg. Will that solve the program.

Just where does the google calendar code go in the Expression code view? How does one know just where the code go. I am think,,,,, I could see where the code goes when I put the code in Design view. Then I could take the code out and put it in that spot in code view. Will this work?

Friday, November 16, 2012 5:38 PM
  • I now have put the google calendar into the code view in Expression and it did show up as a white squard. I did look at the website in Expression preview and it did show the google calendar and not the extra # showing up like the 20133 on the website on the web does not show that extra # in Expression web preview. When you go to the website on the web you see only the google code and you see the extra # in many of the places. The line that I am inserting the google code in on line 95. Does that look right?

WOW!  Now what do you think of that?

• Edited by Gladden Sr Friday, November 16, 2012 7:08 PM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 7:05 PM
  • "" Get rid of the VML graphics " These are my logos and people love to see Gold 3D/2D logos. I save them as jpg tho."

I do not know your workflow, but the VML is there in the page, and the only images are the huge (500K - should be nearer 5K) one at the top of the page and the Interactive Button.

" mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt"> " is typical of Word, but could have come from Publisher, PowerPoint or Excel.  It definitely
    was NOT produced by Expression Web, FrontPage or any Adobe program. Anything sent to you should definitely be cleaned up before inserting in a page.

The easiest way to determine where to insert code is to switch to Split View.  In the design pane highlight something near where you want the insertion point, and that code will be highlighted in the
    code pane, indicating where to paste - more or less as you said.

Ron Symonds

Friday, November 16, 2012 7:07 PM
  • I now have put the google calendar into the code view in Expression and it did show up as a white squard. I did look at the website in Expression preview and it did show the google calendar and not the extra # showing up like the 20133 on the website on the web does not show that extra # in Expression web preview. When you go to the website on the web you see only the google code and you see the extra # in many of the places. The line that I am inserting the google code in on line 95. Does that look right?

WOW!  Now what do you think of that?

Do I have to reply to each one of you for you to see my reply?

Robert Sr.

Friday, November 16, 2012 7:19 PM
  • As far as the calendar is concerned, this is the code on the web:

<td class="auto-style14" style="height: 126px">&lt;iframe
     style="border: 0" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scroll<asp:Calendar id="Calendar1" runat="server">
     </asp:Calendar>
     ing="no"&gt;&lt;/iframe&gt;</td>

It should be similar to:
    <td class="auto-style14" style="height: 126px"><iframe
     style="border: 0" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe></td>
    Notice you are attempting to squeeze a 600px high iFrame into a table cell that is only 126px tall.

And where did this come from:

<asp:Calendar id="Calendar1" runat="server">
     </asp:Calendar>

An asp.NET control will not work in a .html page - especially if embedded in the definition of an iframe :)

Ron Symonds

Friday, November 16, 2012 7:48 PM
  • "Do I have to reply to each one of you for you to see my reply?"

No. And please don't.  Everyone can read everything., so they are just duplicates.

• Edited by KathyW2 Friday, November 16, 2012 7:54 PM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 7:54 PM
  • You copied the code that was already transformed because you pasted it into Design View.  You need the original code pasted into Code View: the code with the > and < as actual < and > in Code View, not transformed into &lt; and so on.

Get the original google code, and replace what you put in.

Friday, November 16, 2012 7:57 PM
  • I must go and have lunch and a few other things that must be done. The asp thing is something I tryed to get the calendar to work.. I took out that page last published. I will check later.  I have a 1200 pix table that I want the calendar to be in. What about the exter # showing up and the end of many numbers. Not showing up in Expression and not showing up in Expression web preview. Only after I publish and look at the website on the web. Thank you All so very much.

Robert Sr.

Friday, November 16, 2012 8:29 PM
  • The extra #  are in fact extra characters - as far as I can see, with a few exceptions, the last character contained in every <span> is duplicated.  I have never seen this before in any program I
    have used. I have seen whole paragraphs, whole tables duplicated, but never just the last character is EVERY <span>

The exceptions are those spans containing the single character X.

I have no ideas on this.

Ron Symonds

Friday, November 16, 2012 9:08 PM
  • Actually, I have seen something like it before - a script used to parse through a document and add formating duplicated the last character but also lost the first character in each paragraph. but
    this is unlikely to apply to your page.

Ron Symonds

Friday, November 16, 2012 9:26 PM
  • So,,,,, the google calendar code is in the right place in the Expression code. The Numbers are right in Expression ( no extra number at the end ) and when you look at the Expression web preview the calendar and the numbers are right.. When I publish the website to Godaddy and go on line you only see the google calendar code and there is an extra number after ever set of numbers. WOW,,,,,, now what???

I am thinking ,,,,,.. what do you think,,,, I will delete that page and build a new one.. and do it all over again,,,,,,????

Should the new page be an html or a web page when I make the new page in Expression?? 

Thank You everyone. You are so patience with me. I will be working on it.

I will be hoping that someone knows what is wrong and knows how to make it right. 

Robert Sr.

• Edited by Gladden Sr Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:44 AM
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:26 AM
  • Did you rename the page, or are you publishing it to the wrong location? As far as I can tell, the page online hasn't changed all day. Firefox page info shows it was last updated at 9:16PM Thursday. Looks to me like you are seeing the corrected page in EW, but viewing the non-updated one online. I would guess that you have the corrected page published somewhere in your site, but I'm not sure where. Take a look and see what you can find.

Jim

'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. Thomas Paine

Saturday, November 17, 2012 4:11 AM
  • You know that is a good thought. I will look and see that the right page is linked right... I was going to delete that page tomorrow and rebuild it.. I will check on what you said,,,, Good thought...

• Edited by Gladden Sr Saturday, November 17, 2012 4:57 AM
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 4:56 AM
  • Okay. Here's what the code should look like in your page:

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=your calendar name%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York"
    style="border: 0" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Here's what yours looks like:

&lt;iframe src="https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=your calendar name.google.com&amp;ctz=America/New_York"
    style="border: 0" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scroll
    <asp:Calendar id="Calendar1"runat="server"></asp:Calendar>
    ing="no"&gt;&lt;/iframe&gt;

I bolded everything that's different in your code. The character entity references &lt;, &amp;, etc. should not be there. The code will not run if there's an entity in the place of the actual character (&lt; means <, &gt; means >, &amp; means & ---see the pattern?).

The question is, how did it get changed? EDIT: I missed that Kathy already explained this. It seems that you didn't paste that code directly from Google into the Code Pane (that's how the characters got replaced with entities--you just copied the ruined code from the Design Pane).

You now have a doubled letter at the end of every cell in your page (Schooll, gradee, etc.). My guess is the server is seeing the <form id="form1" runat="server"> at the top of your body and barfing on it, since it's an HTML page, not ASP.NET. But it's just a guess, since I've never seen that happen before.

Also, don't forget, you are still trying to put a 20 pound calendar in a 5 pound sack. You didn't fix the problem Ron pointed out with trying to put something that's 600 px high in a 126 px high cell.

So. The page is a hodgepodge mess that needs to be cleaned up.

If you want to start over, that will probably be easier. But, you absolutely MUST learn the basics first. "Should the new page be an html or a web page..." HTML pages are web pages; you can't have a web page that isn't HTML. There's no such thing as a "web page" by itself that doesn't use HTML.

Besides the code mess that others have pointed out, there are many technical problems...

• The home page is almost 2 MB--far too big--it should be closer to 100 KB.
    • The page is an unusual width that doesn't seem to have any reason for it. The modern standard is 960 to 980 px, because it fits the width of the largest range of monitors--this site doesn't account for screens that are of different widths or resolution than yours. People hate scrolling sideways to see a whole page, hence the modern standard width.
    • You have set font sizes by name (x-small, large, etc.), which are rendered differently by different browsers. You have no idea what size people are really seeing.
    • You haven't set a font or font-family any place, so every visitor who comes to your site sees it in a different font--the one set as the default in THEIR browser. I see the body text in Times New Roman in IE, Chrome, and Firefox, Calibri in Opera, and a very small Calibri in Safari (since Safari sets both the defult font and size). Who knows how visitors on Apple Macs see it? Android devices? Linux computers? You have lost control of the look of the site by not specifying a font-family.
    • The pages uses tables for layout, a method that has been deprecated by the Web standards committee and which search engines cannot understand properly--hurting you search results.
    • Centered body text is hard to read. Save centering for headings. And the lines of body text are too long to read comfortably. It's like reading a tennis match--I have to move my head back and forth.
    • There's no semantic markup to help search engines parse and index the site.
    • The viewer can't get to every page from every page. They are forced to go Home first. Very user-unfriendly. Nobody does that on websites.
    • The e-mail addresses are bare in the code--ripe for spam bots to scrape and start flooding the accounts with junk.

...and many conceptual problems...

• The most important part of your site (since it is, after all, an advertisement) is the content about the schools. Where is that content? Way, way, way down off the bottom of the screen (below-the-fold in print parlance), pushed there by a bunch of (to my eyes) boring, old fashioned, graphical elements and renderings (with no people visible!) and clunky old too-large FrontPage navigation. That is a major failure just from an advertising standpoint. Never make the visitor work to find the important stuff; hit them between the eyes with it. The priorities of the layout are bass-ackwards.
    • Do you realize how hard it is to find where the schools are? Why isn't that on the front page? What's the secret?
    • It's a website for schools for little kids. Why is it so funereal? Why would you use a black background (of all colors!) for a school website for little kids?!?! Shouldn't it be cheery? It's really depressing.

So--two things:

1. This website doesn't exist in a vacuum. Your prospective customers use the web a lot, and they have expectations. Have you really looked at what modern websites look like? Have you looked at other school websites? Have you noticed their width, fonts, colors, menus, speed of loading? It doesn't seem as though you have. You don't seem to understand what a website should look like or how it should act or what people expect of it. This site looks like it hasn't been touched in 15 years. Sorry.

2. Expression is a professional-level website design program (with only one competitor at this level), and as Microsoft makes very clear in their materials, using it takes a degree of knowledge of website basics: HTML and CSS. Before you do anything else, avail yourself of the learning resources in the Forum FAQ thread at the top, especially Cheryl's EW tutorial and the tutorials at w3schools. You absolutely cannot use this program the way you are going.

Sorry, I was candid in my assessment. But that entire site needs a rethink, and it needs to be brought into the 21st century. Plus, the code that drives it is a total mess and the person running the site really needs to be able to read that code. There are too many things that no website does any more, and that's painfully obvious to the visitor. And it violates all the rules of good advertising.

Don't be too discouraged, but do get some real HTML/CSS/EW training under your belt fast (and possibly ask a parent with web skills--and certainly one with advertising skills--to help). Or just hire an experienced web designer who can get this done quickly and well. And spend some time researching what does and doesn't work on other websites of all kinds. Take notes about what other schools--your competition--are doing.

Edit: I just did a search and a quick look at over 2 dozen Montessori schools on the first few pages of the search. They are all bright and cheery; they use efficient, small menus, show smiling kids and teachers right up front, and not a single one uses a black background. I think I see a pattern.

How many SEO experts does it take to change a lightbulb lightbulbs buy light bulbs neon lights sex porn.

• Edited by Bill Pearson Saturday, November 17, 2012 6:35 PM
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 5:38 AM
  • "The question is, how did it get changed?"

I'm pretty sure I answered that.  The code was originally pasted into Design View.  That would make those changes.  Copying that changed code back into Code View won't work, and I'll bet that's what was done.  [The OP already said he added the <asp:Calender> bit, "The asp thing is something I tryed to get the calendar to work.."  but I have no idea why he thought that would do anything.]

Saturday, November 17, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Okay. That makes sense (I missed it). I thought that when he said that he posted the calendar code into the code pane he meant that it was from Google again. Yes, if he just copied the old, ruined code, that wouldn't do any good. And that would carry over the entities.

Going back to edit...

How many SEO experts does it take to change a lightbulb lightbulbs buy light bulbs neon lights sex porn.

Saturday, November 17, 2012 6:27 PM