locked
Workflow-created documents are corrupt RRS feed

  • Question

  • Documents created with SharePoint Designer workflow are corrupt. We have two completely separate SharePoint 2013 Enterprise farms and the issue is occurring in both of them. Here is a step-by-step rundown for my issue:

    1.        Created document library
    2.        Created list workflow with action to create a new list item
    3.        Ran workflow automatically and manually (from dummy item created from Files menu)
    4.        New document was created, but it is corrupt, incomplete or inaccessible:
      • Error in Word Web App (Sorry, Word Web App ran into a problem opening this document. To view this document please open it in Microsoft Word)
      • Error in local Word client (We're sorry. We can't open TEST.docx because we found a problem with its contents)

    Creating a document manually from the Files -> New Document action in the Ribbon is successful (with and without custom content types or templates). Here are some troubleshooting comparisons I’ve tried which still have the issue:

    • 2010 (with and without impersonation) and 2013 workflows
    • With and without content type management (with and without custom content types)
    • With and without custom templates

    I am not a farm admin so I do not have ready access to the ULS logs, but I can view them with our admin if necessary (he's slammed and doesn't have a ton of time to chase his tail all day). The root cause seems to be an issue with the Workflow Manager and/or Office Web Apps, but any further insight would be much appreciated.

    Regards,
    TsunamiStevo

    Friday, January 29, 2016 3:57 PM

Answers

  • This was a very strange issue, indeed.  I was able to recreate the behavior from scratch (new library, new workflow) for a much more informed colleague and she was stumped too.  In the end, I resolved the issue by deleting and re-creating the "Create List Item" workflow action.  I'm not sure why this worked, but it did.

    Regards,
    TsunamiStevo


    • Marked as answer by TsunamiStevo Monday, February 8, 2016 5:18 PM
    • Edited by TsunamiStevo Monday, February 8, 2016 5:18 PM grammar
    Monday, February 8, 2016 5:18 PM

All replies

  • Hi TsunamiStevo,

    You could clear the cache of the SharePoint designer to check if it can work.

    How to Clear Your SharePoint Designer 2010/2013 Cache.

    http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/sagarp/how-to-clear-your-sharepoint-designer-20102013-cache/

    There is a workaround. You could re-upload document template for the affected content type. You could follow the steps below:

    1. Create a new document by the “New document” button in the ribbon.

    2. Download the copy of the created file.

    3. Go to library settings->click the affected content type-> click advanced settings->upload the file download the copy in the step2.

    4. Then run the workflow to check if it can work.

    Best regards,

    Sara Fan


    TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Monday, February 1, 2016 6:04 AM
  • Sara,

    I appreciate the response, but I tried both suggestions and I am still getting the same result.

    • Deleted SharePoint Designer cache
    • Uploaded content template from a working copy created with File -> New Document (rather than from my local machine, which is what I had been doing so this seemed like a promising idea)

    Thank you,
    TsunamiStevo

    Monday, February 1, 2016 8:31 PM
  • Hi TsunamiStevo,

    You could check if there is detailed error message in the ULS log.

    And you also could follow the troubleshooting steps in the article below.

    Office Web App Common Problems & Fixes

    http://blog.sharepointsite.co.uk/2014/01/office-web-app-ran-into-problem-opening.html

    Best regards,

    Sara Fan


    TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Thursday, February 4, 2016 1:02 AM
  • This was a very strange issue, indeed.  I was able to recreate the behavior from scratch (new library, new workflow) for a much more informed colleague and she was stumped too.  In the end, I resolved the issue by deleting and re-creating the "Create List Item" workflow action.  I'm not sure why this worked, but it did.

    Regards,
    TsunamiStevo


    • Marked as answer by TsunamiStevo Monday, February 8, 2016 5:18 PM
    • Edited by TsunamiStevo Monday, February 8, 2016 5:18 PM grammar
    Monday, February 8, 2016 5:18 PM
  • Hi TsunamiStevo,

    It is very happy that you have resolved your problem.

    Thank you for your sharing and it will help others have the same issue.

    Best regards,

    Sara Fan


    TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 1:03 AM