none
FEATURE: SmallBasic Help system RRS feed

• General discussion

• FEATURE REQUEST: Add a question mark button to the SmallBasic ribbon.

1. When clicked the help pane (right edge) should list key top level help topics
    2. Topics list should at least include: Commands, Keywords, Colors, Samples, Getting Started, Discussions (link to SmallBasic forum in separate browser window)
    3. Clicking link opens topic in same window (preferrably with a Back button) or opens a separate web browser window to the related topic page hosted & controlled by Microsoft (simplified implementation).
    4. Selecting a keyword in the editor will replace Help button content per existing help/intellisense pane behavior. Clicking Help button will redisplay the Help home topics list (and search box if possible :-)).

FEATURE REQUEST (related): A search box should also appear near top left to search SmallBasic site/form for whatever keywords are entered.

• For UI simplicity pop a default browser window rather than hosting help search within SmallBasic IDE.

MORE INFORMATION:

When I ran SmallBasic for the first time I was very excited to see the warm simplified IDE user interface... and then I realized I was staring at a blank page with no clue what commands were available or how to get started. Worse still I had no Help button or question mark to get me started in the right direction. I'll bet this is where many beginning programmers will just get stalled and decide it is easier to  

Luckily I noticed the installed tutorial .pdf and started reading through pages of documentation. This is a terrible way to greet a new programmer to their programming environment.

I had a similar experience trying to find samples for the first time, but that is a separate feature request/discussion. Let's keep this discussion to Help system and documentation/forum integration ideas.

Can you think of a better way to greet new programmers and help people discover and learn the supported commands easily? Please reply!

Monday, May 24, 2010 5:33 AM

All replies

• Also if anyone has integrated Help or command references into SmallBasic please reply. I'm using v0.8 (current release). Thanks! -z
    Monday, May 24, 2010 5:34 AM
  • The tutorial pdf could be moved across into this help system too, and there are loads of examples that have been Published which Vijaye could collate then ask if it's ok to include.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 10:19 AM