none
[Compilation Error, Visual Studio] Publishing Kinect Application from Unity to UWP RRS feed

• Question

• We're building an application which should run on both PC and XBox One so we figured to transition to UWP to avoid having two projects. The application uses Vitruvius for Unity3D and during the build process we export to UWP which produces a folder with an .sln file for Visual Studio. Upon loading the solution in VS, we go Project -> Store -> Create App Packages, then select "No" to the "Upload" question and finally select Master as the proper configuration (dictated by Unity).

This process with an empty project yields no errors and even passes the certification afterwards. On the other hand, having a project with only the Windows.Kinect.dll (which comes with Vitruvius) causes the process to stop during "Create App Packages" with the following error:

Error        MCG0037: MCG0037:InvalidCSharpIdentifierName Struct 'Windows.Kinect.CameraSpacePoint' in assembly 'Assembly(Name=Windows.Kinect, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null, Location=I:\Upwork\DanJud\KinectApp\Build\WinStore\KinectApp\obj\x86\Master\ilc\intermediate\PreMergeILTransformed\Windows.Kinect.dll)' has a field with name '<X>k__BackingField' that is invalid. This could be because the name is obfuscated or the field is auto-implemented by the compiler. Please make sure the field name follows C# identifier conventions.

System Details: Windows 10 Home

Unity3D version: 5.4.1f1 (Personal)

Visual Studio Version: 14.0.25431.01 Update 3

Any ideas why that's happening and how to solve it?

Thanks in advance,

Konstantinos

Friday, October 28, 2016 6:04 PM

Answers

• I'm not familiar with Vitruvius, but as far as I know, there is not yet an updated full SDK for Kinect and UWP, and when it will be, I'm not sure that it will be updated to work in Unity right away. I'm also working on projects in Unity and awaits the possibilty to build same project from Unity to both Windows and Xbox. See other posts here that waits for info about updated Kinect UWP SDK, can't find all the links now but here's one:
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/kinectforwindows/2016/05/13/kinect-and-uwp-new-options-in-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/
    Friday, October 28, 2016 9:19 PM

All replies

• I'm not familiar with Vitruvius, but as far as I know, there is not yet an updated full SDK for Kinect and UWP, and when it will be, I'm not sure that it will be updated to work in Unity right away. I'm also working on projects in Unity and awaits the possibilty to build same project from Unity to both Windows and Xbox. See other posts here that waits for info about updated Kinect UWP SDK, can't find all the links now but here's one:
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/kinectforwindows/2016/05/13/kinect-and-uwp-new-options-in-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/
    Friday, October 28, 2016 9:19 PM
  • Thank you very much for that info. I'm marking this as an answer, meaning building Kinect apps to UWP will have to wait until Microsoft releases the corresponding SDK, whenever that may be.
    Saturday, October 29, 2016 2:43 PM
  • According to Microsoft as stated here:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f7581ab7-eec0-4b9e-9651-cd2f25956692/when-will-the-uwp-kinect-sdk-become-available?forum=kinectv2sdk

... we already have what we need.  The Kinect SDK for UWP is already here provided you adjust your perception of what an SDK consists of.

I disagree with calling the current state of APIs on UWP an SDK, but that appears to be the final official answer so its now up to the community to fix the SDK problem using the lower level APIs that have been provided for UWP.

Long story short, Microsoft is not providing a V2 SDK for UWP.  There is no path forward with the V2 SDK.  You are on your own.

• Proposed as answer by noemata Monday, October 31, 2016 3:24 PM
    • Edited by noemata Monday, October 31, 2016 3:25 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2016 3:24 PM
  • To be more precise, MS has proceeded to move all hands towards HoloLens. So anything towards Kinect is pretty much cancelled.

As far as Vitruvius goes, contact Vangos Pterneas on twitter for more direct information. But I seriously doubt they've done anything beyond what the official SDK provides and since the UWP version is nowhere near finished as a port(in the philosophical way,not the technical) of the v2 SDK,even more so.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 1:08 PM
  • So, now there is some new info (4th nov) that may help on the way

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2016/11/04/kinect-demo-code-and-new-driver-for-uwp-now-available/#sGzoJXjePwFCrJ86.97

Friday, November 4, 2016 11:23 PM