SQL Server - Multiple Instances RRS feed

• Question

• We currently have several instances of SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard running on our site, but as we look to improve our systems, we wish to install some 'redundancy' and 'backup' instances of SQL Server 2008R2 Express.

Without modifying our current licenses, is this acceptable? The end result would be us outputting data from the main Standard edition data server to one or several Express edition data servers.

Should there be a fault, we'd then go from one or several Express data servers to the Standard data server.

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 10:30 AM

Answers

• SQL Express is free even for production use, so, you do not need any license for that. however, 

SQL express edition database data file cannot be more than 10GB. of course it has other limitations such as memory 1 gb limit etc but that would not prevent you from restoring the backups on to this except the database size limitation.

so, the major limitation i see here is the database size.

Hope it Helps!!

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 10:56 AM
  • The proper redundancy for SQL Server 2008 standard r2 in all formats would be either 2008 R2 standard or enterprise. As Stan mentioned data file limit and perhaps this is the biggest limit so you might need to change your strategy.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Saturday, August 15, 2015 5:17 AM

All replies

• SQL Express is free even for production use, so, you do not need any license for that. however, 

SQL express edition database data file cannot be more than 10GB. of course it has other limitations such as memory 1 gb limit etc but that would not prevent you from restoring the backups on to this except the database size limitation.

so, the major limitation i see here is the database size.

Hope it Helps!!

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 10:56 AM
  • The proper redundancy for SQL Server 2008 standard r2 in all formats would be either 2008 R2 standard or enterprise. As Stan mentioned data file limit and perhaps this is the biggest limit so you might need to change your strategy.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Saturday, August 15, 2015 5:17 AM