Browser to app communication in Win 10

General discussion

• There has been some discussion of app-to-app communication updates in Windows 10 including LaunchUriForResultsAsync and the ability to specify a specific target application package, but I have yet to see how this manifests in browser-to-app communication. 

Currently we have the ability to specify a custom protocol and create a generic link using that protocol (ie: a href="myprotocol://someParam"). This limitation has so many flaws though including a) you can't specify a specific app to launch; b) you don't know if the protocol was handled by an app; c) you can't communicate back a result; d) you're unable to transpose links in email that you would normally handle when rendering the page for a specific platform.

With browser plug-in technology being increasingly deprecated, I'm curious how the sandboxed app paradigm can fill this hole without a solid and supported communication method between a website on a browser and an app. Does anybody have unique experiences launching apps from the browser? How do you handle the scenario when the app is not installed? Have you ever had another app "hijack" your protocol?

Thursday, April 9, 2015 8:05 PM

All replies

• I don't think:

>>>a) you can't specify a specific app to launch;

Is a bad thing at all. I'm the user of my phone; I choose what apps to launch.

Microsoft showed off some of what you're talking about recently. They showed web apps (locally installed somehow) launching the People app, for example. I don't know any details, but I expect we'll hear more at Build (for Windows 10).

Visit http://blog.grogansoft.com/ for Windows development fun.

Thursday, April 9, 2015 11:35 PM